“I'll keep coming Back”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Y'all need to understand that this place is a throwback to a different time. We try and stop here when we travel I-81, so this is our fifth visit. The prices are 1960 and the level of service is the same (meaning better than today.) They have an extensive menu to accommodate every taste.I had duck and my wife had the fried sea food platter, both very good. Had prime rib one trip and that was good, not sure about the steaks.We've been different days of the week and there is always a crowd, so they are doing something right...

Reviewed August 10, 2013

the food was AWESOME, the service was just as great. Timmy ordered the Chicken Parm and absolutely loved it, Lexi loves their meatballs, and I had their special for the evening - broiled shrimp and scallops in a buffalo wine sauce with homemade cheese ravioli. It was to die for, should have went back there this evening.

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I wanted to try a place in town we'd never been, and one of her friends recommended this restaurant.

The service was impeccable. Nothing to complain about there.

Everything else was just not that good. I got the House Steak (14 oz ribeye), and she got the Steak Diane (filet with a mushroom sauce). The steaks were cooked to perfection (medium rare for me, medium for her), but they just weren't very good. I love ribeye, but there's a difference between good marbling and gigantic chunks of fat. There was so much fat left on my plate when I was done, it was silly. Her filet was just not that good. You can cook a steak to perfection, but if you start out with subpar meat you'll get subpar results.

The sides were nothing to write home about. Average salad. The potato croquettes are OK. The nutmeg in them is strange. Her baked potato was really good, but it's a baked potato, and they let you put the butter and sour cream on it. So they would have had to try to mess that up.

We also got an oyster appetizer. She wanted fried oysters, and that wasn't on the appetizer menu, but they were very accommodating and did it for us anyway. Unfortunately the oysters were just disgusting. There's no other way to describe them.

We won't be going back. I'm at a loss as to why this place has gotten such good reviews. The food just isn't good.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went here with my husband fir our anniversary dinner hoping for a nice, fancier dinner. I was looking for a good filet mignon. Our first impression was that it could certainly use some updating, but decor doesn't bother me if the food is good. Our waitress was great. Always attentive, always keeping our drinks full - high marks for service. I ordered a cabernet (good but nothing special) and a crab meat stuffed filet which came with two sides (I ordered a baked potato and their "special" house salad). The salad was good, but no better than I could make at home. It was a plate of lettuce accompanied by prepared/bagged toppings that I chose a la carte (bagged cheese, Bacos/faux bacon bits, etc.). The real bummer was the entree. The filet (which they said was pounded, then stuffed) was not filet - rather, it seemed to be an average cut of flank steak or something similar. The meat was really gamey and the crab stuffing was very fishey. I am not a picky diner, but I expect a decent meal if I am being charged a lot for what I order. I took one bite and, having never done this before, I told the waitress that it was not good and that I couldn't eat it. I sent it back and asked for the petite filet instead. It was okay. Edible (which was a plus compared to the stuffed "filet"), but not the good filet I came for. I could have spent less on a better steak at a chain steak house. My husband ordered a pasta dish with scallops and shrimp which was edible but not very good. The only reason I have given two stars instead of one star is the service. I went to Coach and Four hoping for a more upscale meal - it is supposed to be one of the nicer local establishments in Roanoke and has been around a while so we figured it would be good. What we got was bad food at high prices. Again, I don't mind paying more for a good meal. Unfortunately we will not be returning to Coach and Four.

1  Thank HPnVA84
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Coach & Four opened in 1977 and is one of the best restaurants in the Roanoke Valley. It is one of the very few local, independent restaurants that has survived for so many years. This is attributed to consistent quality food and service. The menu is extensive and the portions are generous. I’ve never selected anything that was not delicious. They offer a large variety of items along with specials. So many times a restaurant is known for either their seafood or steaks but I would recommend both. The seafood dishes are excellent. The steaks are juicy and prepared as ordered.