“A Home Away From Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
Rose Hill Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
los angeles
“A Home Away From Home”
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I live in one of the largest cities in the world. A city where the mere thought of peace and quiet cease to exist. Los Angeles, California...more specifically Hollywood, where one could find strangers photographing his house on any given day of the week simply because they had been bamboozeled into buying a map of the star's homes which listed your property as one of Madonna's many homes, or better yet, the house that Brittany Spears's cousin's best friend's sister lives at and so you might catch a rare glipmse of the starlet herself should be patient enough to stand there for the next 48 to 72 hours. While it would be difficult for most to endure, after six years in the city the lifystyle for me, has become normal.
It was supposed to be another hectic Christmas Vacation in the city. Fighting mall crowds, trying to predict the schizophrenic weather and spending approximately eight of the fourteen hours that you are awake during the day, stuck in traffic on the 405 freeway while attempting to do what always becomes my last minute Christmas shopping. And then I got the call. Family inviting us to Roanoke for he Holiday. While I knew that Roanoke was in Virginia and that Virginia was somewhere on the East Coast, I couldn't have pointed it out to you on a map if my life had depended on it. But I agreed and so my boyfriend, my daughter and I began making plans for the trip.
While making travel plans i was informed by family of a small Bed and Breakfast that had recently made its debut by the name of Rose Hill. I could tell by the telephone greeting that I got when I called that this woman was friendly and very excited about my inquiry. Wendy was her name and she assured me that our stay would be one we would never forget, and after hearing about the home cooked breakfast meanu we would be served each morning, I was sure that my boyfriend wouldn't let me forget if I tried.
We arrived @ the Roanoke airport at Approximately 11pm. Our flight was a bit delayed. We were tired, annoyed, grouchy and arguing through the terminal until my daughter saw her... She was bundled in warm clothes, stood approximately 5'3, brown hair, huge smile and was holding a sign that said "Rose Hill." At that precise moment, the mood for our entire vacation was set. The drive to Rose Hill lasted only about 10 minutes. I couldn't make it from my driveway to the end of my street in 10 minutes. During the drive, Wendy gave us some brief information about the city of Roanoke and said if we had any questions about where to go or what to do, that she could be more than helpful. We arrived at Rose Hill and it was like nothing I've ever seen in my life...outside of Better Homes and Gardens magazine that is. The house was beautiful and decorated for the holidays. Because it was late, Wendy escorted us to our rooms and gave us the morning breakfast schedule and menu and told us we could tour the house in the morning.
We woke up to the smell of several wonderfuls. My daughter had beat us downstairs by about 30 minutes and was having tea with Wendy. The table was immaculate and appeared to be set for a feast. That morning we started with hot chocolate, bananas and cream w/sugar which was followed by Belgian Waffles with eggs and sausage. I knew this Wendy was setting me up for failure when I saw the look on my boyfriends face...he was sure he had died and gone to heaven.
After breakfast we were given the tour of the house. It had everything we needed; the best food we've ever tasted, a library, a business center, incredible rooms and a porch with a swing. It even had a microwave and popcorn on our floor should we have any late night cravings. We took several walks and bike rides through the huge park which was directly accross the street from the house . I didn't want to leave, not even to go visit family.
Our stay was certainly unlike anything I had ever experienced when traveling. Wendy was incredible and took pride in catering to our every want and need. I have vowed never to stay anywhere else if I ever have to be anywhere withing a 3 hour radius from Rose Hill.
I recommend Rose Hill Bed and Breakfast to anyone looking for comfort, hospitality and that home away from home experience. We'll be back even if we have to make up and excuse to come.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank norrischmp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
North Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We arrived for our impromptu, one-night stay at Rose Hill amidst snow and sleet, to find Wendy Blair welcoming us with hot cocoa, herbal tea, and freshly baking brownies. Her victorian B&B is simultaneously elegant, whimsical, and warmly welcoming -- and (as another reviewer noted) immaculate. She was equally happy trading renovation tales, discussing our respective favorite books, or leaving us to our own devices, as we wished. The quiche she fixed as part of a lavish breakfast was an inspiration, and the myriad baked yummies made me wish I had a child's carelessness of figure. She was most helpful in directing us to restaurants and resources in the area. You will never regret staying here.

• Liked — thoughtfulness
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2007

This small B&B (just three rooms) is an oasis of charm in an otherwise bleak lodging scene. Each room has a private bath, with two of them a short walk down the hall and one attached to the room. Every part of the house is freshly decorated and owner/proprietress Wendy Blair makes you feel welcome. It's across from a park, so you can borrow a book from the library room and sit on the front porch to read it. Like the rest of the place, the sitting room and dining room are neat, clean and fully decorated. Quiet at night, even in the front room that I had. It's a little far to walk to the downtown dining scene, but there's a good restaurant nearby if you don't feel like driving. Will definitely go back.

• Liked — location, hospitality, cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo