“A Great Choice”

Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Frankie Rowland's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 470 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Salem Ave.
East Hampton, Connecticut
“A Great Choice”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were visiting in the area and my son selected this restaurant since it is one of his favorites in the city. He had requested the "back room" since it is quieter.
We enjoyed the Oysters Rockefeller, Ceaser Salad ( with plenty of anchoives as requested), rack of lamb, cowgirl ribeye and NY strip. All of these were EXCELLENT !. The side of potatoes au gratin was absolutely delicious as well as the fresh asparagus.
The service was attentive but not intrusive.
We have dined in many cities and now consider Frankie Rowlands as one of the best.
Reservations are a must.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank BamTgg

New Jersey
“Went here for after dinner drinks”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at another restaurant in town and after walking around for a bit we decided to check out this restaurant for an after dinner drink. It was on our list of places to possibly go for dinner, but we chose elsewhere, so we decided to give it a try for drinks. The martinis are very good here - and they have a bunch of specialty martinis that they make.
I have to admit - I am not a huge fan of steak restaurants (I want more that just steak on a plate for these prices), but from what we saw and in talking to the people at the bar, as far as steak houses go it seemed on par for what you would expect at a steak house.

• Visited August 2012
Salem, VA
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was invited to go with a group and I had no expectations upon my first visit to this restaurant. I was a bit overwhelmed at first by the prices but everything was excellent. There were several items on the menu which were appealing. The prime rib was my choice and I was not disappointed. It was prepared and presented to perfection as was the entire meal. The Crème Brule was the perfect way to end one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten

Boones Mill, Va
“Best steak house in Roanoke”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Excellent food, service and a great wine list. I took all of my employees there for company Christmas party. Too bad we have grown to much to do it again!

Visited November 2011
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
“Big!.. let down.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and I made an hour trip to Roanoke specifically to eat at Frankie Rowlands for my birthday. It was recommended by a co-worker and we were excited to try it out. The atmosphere was amazing. We loved it from the moment we stepped in. We had drinks at the bar and were really pleased with the bartender's knowledge and service. The drinks were really good as well.

We were warned about their high prices so we came with our stomachs empty and our pockets heavy. But my husband and I are young, and though we were dressed appropriately, we are not business men in suits and ties and therefore felt very out of place. Our server seemed to treat us differently as well. Maybe it was all in my head, or maybe they serve all their tables at a distance, but she was just an okay server. And when you go out to eat, the server sets the tone for the meal for the evening. She definitely did not help, for the evening we were about to have.

We ordered a salad first, the wedge with blue cheese and bacon. It was very disappointing. Think of the most bitter lettuce you've tasted, with an over-the-top amount of blue cheese trying to masked it. Yeah... it was bad.

The next course was the Lobster Bisque soup. I will say that to someone who likes things on the spicy side they would probably enjoy this dish. But as I am really sensitive to spicy foods and do not enjoy them, I was very unhappy with this decision. But that was not the restaurants fault. But in my mind of enjoying the evening.. it was still strike 2.

Then the entrees. My husband ordered the filet, rare. It was cooked medium rare and it had so much garlic and seasonings on it that he couldn't even taste the steak. And worst part was his mouth was raw before he was even 3/4 the way done with it. I ordered the Lobster. It was okay, but I was a little surprised that they literally just cooked the thing and slapped it on my plate. No seasoning, nothing. Just butter on the side. I would expect that at a crab shack, but not here. It was tasteless and boring and definitely not worth 20 something dollars a pound!

We ordered a side of smashed potatoes and were told that there was Brie in them. We did not taste any brie, except for one bite my husband happen to get. He said that bite was amazing, but the rest of it tasted like boxed potatoes my mom used to make.

Dessert ...was Great! We ordered the souffle. BUT, our server took it away before my husband was done with it. She basically dropped the check off and picked it up without even asking. And that was the best part of our meal.. :(

Needless to say, Overall it had its ups but what we remembered was all the down's. Especially since this was one of the most expensive meals we have ever had. We were expecting nothing less than the best, but we were very disappointed.

So if you're a wealthy business man, you will probably enjoy this place more, and be treated better. But if you're a young couple wanting to splurge for a birthday or anniversary. I think your money would be better spent somewhere else.

• Visited March 2012