“Double-edge sword - Close to highway, road noise audible”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Roanoke North
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Boston
“Double-edge sword - Close to highway, road noise audible”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Conveniently located to I-81 (very close to the exit), this hotel offers a decent room with a very comfortable bed. We arrived after a very long drive and were pretty exhausted and overtired. It was a chilly night. The bedcovers were quite thin and the heater was not working properly. I woke up freezing and could not get the heat to blow warm air. I called the front desk, the gentleman offered to come up and take a look at the heater. I declined the offer employing my general rule about letting strangers come into the room) but asked for some blankets. These promptly arrived and were really helpful.
I lay awake for awhile and could hear the buzz of trucks driving down the interstate. I wondered whether a room on the backside of the hotel would have been quieter. However, I finally fell into a sound sleep and awoke feeling refreshed. I welcomed the lovely mountain view when opening the curtains.
Before we continued on our roadtrip heading south, we drove a few miles on the ring road (581(?)) in Roanoke to get some Starbucks coffee (the coffee at the Fairfield is pretty weak) and pick up some snacks, which we did at a Walmart. Walmart also had very cheap gas!
Would I stay at this Fairfield Inn again? Probably not. If you are on the road and are not too fatigued, it is worth the effort to find a quieter place which has a newer HVAC system. Rates are probably lower for an equivalent hotel further from the Interstate exit too. I have to repeat though that the Fairfield desk clerk was very nice and I appreciated his bringing the blankets up promptly!

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the interstate may be a little quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JojomomBoston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Wautoma, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 19, 2013

While road tripping the entire Blue Ridge Parkway, we stopped for the night in Roanoke on 10/27/13. It was a Monday night & we just wanted to watch football, eat up all of our leftovers & get a good night's sleep. Chose the Fairfield because they usually have what we want & this one was no exception. It was a big Fairfield, nice enough area with decent curb appeal. Check-in was a breeze. It's 4 stories with2 elevators that must have been updated recently as there was new carpeting in the hallways. Got up to our room (#220) & heard water running?? Was someone already in this room? The key holder said this was our room, so we tried the key & we got in. It was just the toilet running. My husband fixed it & we settled in. It was a spacious room with 2 queen beds, a microwave & fridge in a separate stand, a desk area, dresser with the HD flatscreen TV on, a full length mirror which is good because the bathroom is all in one room. Good internet hook up. Comfy beds & plenty of towels. The place was very quiet for good sleeping. The breakfast room is spacious enough with a good selection: scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffle maker, the usual muffins/toast, cold cereals, yogurt, hard boiled eggs & fresh fruit mix of cantaloupe, honeydew, orange segments, grapes & pineapple. Didn't get to see much of what was in the area; but there was a BP gas station nearby to gas up & we were off on another great day of road tripping. The Fairfield provided just what we wanted & we were satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maralyn T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

While I am a big fan of Marriott, our experience at this Fairfield Inn was not up to their usual standards. There were two sources of noise that was so loud and disturbing both my wife and I kept waking up throughout the night: 1. The refrigerator hummed and buzzed so loudly, I finally unplugged it in the middle of the night. 2. The wind howled and whistled between the panes of an improperly sealed window. The sound of the wind was so loud it woke us up repeatedly. I did not realize the window was the culprit until morning, when I partially opened it and the noise disappeared, and I could feel the wind coming in through the panes. We complained about both of these issues the next morning. The desk manager wrote them down and, to my amazement, knew all about the problem with the windows. Obviously, other guests have complained. She said they've "tried everything" to fix it, but failed. Trying to fix the problem is not enough if the noise is disturbing guests. If the windows can't be fixed, they should be replaced. I wrote to Marriott Customer Service about this experience. The hotel General Manager sent me an email, telling us that he was refunding 1/2 the cost of our stay, but otherwise blaming us and other hotel guests. Us for not complaining about it during the night (how could we when we didn't know the window was causing the problem?) and guests for not closing the windows properly (ours was double locked). In fairness, everything else about the hotel was fine, but being able to get a good night's sleep is fundamental to a hotel experience and we were unable to.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff were helpful with a recommendation to a nearby restaurant that was outstanding (Hollywood's). The breakfast was the standard hot one, but the coffee was weak (should offer the bold blend). The hotel is easy to find near I-81 and Hollins University.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This a nice overnight stay type of hotel. We stayed on the way down to the Smokey Mountains. Unfortunately, for us we couldn't get to this hotel until almost Midnight due to a bad accident on I-81 which delayed us quite a bit. However, the front desk attendant was very nice and there was no issues with checking in with our prior reservation. Nice, clean room, with microwave, and refrigerator, and very good breakfast downstairs with enough of a sitting area that we had no problem finding a table to dine despite eating breakfast during the crowded time on a morning where there were plenty of guests eating. Rooms was spacious enough and very comfortable bed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rockville, MD
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived after lunch at 2:15 p.m. and were told 3 p.m. was check in time, and yet they gave us our keys... We sat in the lobby for 10 minutes and then decided to see if our rooms were ready because we'd been driving 4 hours and wanted to rest a bit before dinner. So we went up to our rooms and found they were ready, so we went to our cars and got our roller bags. Walking by the desk in the lobby, the front desk clerk yelled at us "are you accessing your rooms early!!??" We said, they are ready. She then turned to her colleague and suggested they call security. Are you kidding? During our 10 minute wait, a couple came to check in saying they had to be at a wedding at 4 p.m. They were told to change in the hotel restroom and were given the same "story" we got about rooms being available at 3 p.m. We saw them when we came down to get our bag, suggested they check their room with the keys they were given and they had the same experience. Their room was ready too. I called Marriott corporate about this and they called the hotel. The "lovely" front desk clerk was there today when I checked out and she wouldn't look at me or speak to me. The card in the room says, we want you to feel welcome! I've never felt more unwelcome at a Marriott property, and as an Elite loyalty member, it was even more stunning. Do NOT stay at this property. It's also too expensive $178 with taxes. Next time we'll stay at the Hotel Roanoke, which has LOVELY rooms and great staff...and a $139 room rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lviehmyer
New Jersey
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here one night while heading to Tennessee. It's a nice Fairfield Inn. Updated decor, small to medium flat screen TV in room. I really liked the printed channel guide provided in front of the TV--that made it so easy to find something to watch.

Our room had a refrigerator and microwave, which made it even nicer.

It was a little strange that the two queen beds had different bed coverings, although both were white. But not a big deal.

Complimentary breakfast was well-stocked.

This is basically a place to spend the night on the way to somewhere else. We had already eaten dinner in Staunton before arriving. Good thing because there didn't seem to be much in the way of dinner choices, unless you wanted to eat at McDonald's. Pretty much just gas stations and fast food around. There may have been a Mexican restaurant down the street. I'd suggest you eat dinner before checking in.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple