“Funny smell and dark!”

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Orlando, Florida
“Funny smell and dark!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

When I entered the lobby the place was so dark that I thought there was no one there. It was a bit scary at first. There was no one at the front desk to greet you and all the lights over the desk were out. I was just about ready to leave when someone came in from the back. The lobby also had a funny smell to it. I am not sure what it was but it wasn't pleasant. The room was an executive king as I have stayed with them before, but I didn't feel like it was as clean as some others that I have stayed at. To say the least I was a tad disappointed. I am a Marriott member and I can tell you I don't think it was up to their standards. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sasparilla97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here recently on business and found the lobby and room to be clean and spacious. The place has been recently renovated so it had the new carpet small in areas, but I'd rather have new carpet smells than the alternatives found in other hotels that show their age. Front desk was friendly, breakfast was standard fare of pastries and cereals, with the only items that can be served hot being oatmeal packets and some sausage/biscuit combinations you zap in the microwave. Ate at a nearby restaurant that the front desk recommended called Hollywoods Restaurant and Bakery on Williamson Road less than 2 miles away - definitely worth a try!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Easton, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Used my AAA card when booking a day prior to save a few bucks. Had room 203 with 2 queen beds. When entering the hotel at 10pm, the lobby looked clean and in order, checked in quickly, the hallways looked clean and orderly. When getting off the 2nd floor elevator, I did catch a whiff of disinfectant, but it wasn't as bad as other placed I have stayed in the are. I also found the room clean and comfortable with a whiff of disinfectant. (those shades do close once you figure out how) I slept well and was on my way the next day after the included simple breakfast. I would give 4.5 stars, but rounding up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Searsport, Maine
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We always request a room with a king-size bed. This hotel only has 5 rooms with that size bed. We were put in a room right near an outside door & down the hall from the lobby. They definitely saved money on insulation....we heard the outside door close every time & heard several conversations at the front desk...with our door closed! In addition, the doors to each room slam shut due to the fact that the mechanisms are set that way, I guess. When I mentioned this, I was told I was wrong. I invited the clerk to see for herself, but why should she bother? The room was handicap-accessible...............the bathroom had no hooks & no vanity to put toiletries on...all in all, poor service & a horrible nights' sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I just stayed at the Fairfield Inn North Roanoke and found it to be superb. The property looks to have recently been re-modeled and is very clean and neat. I encountered no issues during my brief stay and found the management and front desk staff to be friendly, helpful, and very hospitable. Although the hotel is a short distance from I-81, I found it to be very quiet. Overall, I say it is a great value for the price and I would definitely stay here again if presented the opportunity.

Room Tip: Stay in the rear of the hotel, away from the interstate.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the odor that was in the lobby. Not a good sign even if your Hotel is under construction. The front desk Manager Kelli was not very friendly and found her to be extremely rude. It might have been just me but the following morning witnessed another front desk person being the same way to a Guest who had a question about the Property,
Never once reviewing the hotel amenities, where the room was located, where to park, when breakfast was served or anything else. This was very unlike a Fairfield Property that I have ever encountered. The rate was over $130 a night and found the rooms to be ok and the tv reception wasn't good at all. I planned on staying 2 nights and after one night cancelled and found a nearby Hotel that was much less and far better. It takes alot for me to spend the time looking for a new hotel but was very happy I did.

Room Tip: Try to find another place to stay
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Georgetown, Connecticut
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Good value, quite clean, no negatives to relate. We arrived after a day in the car, checked right in. Found nothing to complain about, which is worth a ton when you're travelling. The extra few bucks over some of the 'value' chains is well worth it

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family