“The lunch meal was outstanding!”

Carlos Brazilian International Cuisine
Ranked #13 of 498 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Private dining rooms available for special events, rehearsal dinner, weddings, special meeting, family reunion or just dinner for two.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Wife and I took a friend to Carlos for lunch and found the lunch time meal to be outstanding. The food was hot and was prepared perfect. We all had something different and compared our meals. They all got first class rating.
It had been many month since our last visit, but this time was perfect lunch time meal.
The view from the main Dinning area was great. The fall colors were in full view.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's all relative and maybe Carlos is a fine-dining experience in Roanoke?

Parts of the view included mountains, yes, but parts of the view also included the strip shopping mall across the street. The service was friendly and attentive, but not polished by any stretch. There were people wearing baseball hats in the dining room.

The menu sounded interesting and we were hopeful. The lobster bisque was good - good start. The rest was.... disappointing.

The bread served before dinner appeared to be underbaked grocery store french rolls... served with foil wrapped pats of butter.

I added the hearts of palm, artichokes, tomatoes and olives to my house salad - expecting a mediterranean experience. I got a pre-plated, refrigerated salad with cold hard tomatoes, canned palm hearts and artichokes added. Plain manzanilla olives with pimento - nothing more exotic than the jarred kind we all grew up with. The avocado dressing was good and added needed flavor.

Our dishes included Shrimp and scallops sautéed with tomatoes and spinach in a white wine garlic sauce over angel hair pasta and Moqueca Mineira: Shrimp, clams and white fish in a "spicy" Brazilian sauce with onions, red pimientos and scallions.

The shrimp and scallops were just bland. I tasted some garlic and not much else but I couldn't see any garlic in the sauce. I'm not sure how the shrimp and scallops were prepared, but they were flavorless. The angel hair was served as a large blob in the center of the bowl with the seafood around. My husband said the same about the Moqueca Mineira - bland; not spicy at all. We both added salt to our dishes, which we rarely do.

A disappointing meal @ $128 plus tip for a family of 4.

Carlos needs to overhaul the kitchen and their offerings if they are going to continue to attempt the "fine-dining" experience.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I went here with a few colleagues, and we all really enjoyed it. We had something from each part of the menu, and all of it was excellent. Reasonably priced for "fine dining" in Roanoke. The view is beautiful....if you go on a nice night the patio is very nice. The service was excellent. It can be difficult to find with GPS, so maybe call ahead to ask for landmarks.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a delicious meal I enjoyed here. We were greeted warmly by the host, and shown a nice table with a view of the mountains. We were served ice cold beer, tasty salads, and entrees that were cooked to perfection. The Brazil 2001, with it's Beef, pork, kielbasa sausage and chicken in a garlic merlot wine sauce with rice, black beans and collard greens accompanied with fried bananas, came highly recommended by our server, and boy, was she right!!. She also recommended a little cup of some really hot sauce to spice it up a little. A little goes a long way, but it added just the right amount of zest!!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I had talked about going to Carlo's for a long time, but finally got the opportunity to as part of an event. Wow! We should have tried it sooner. From hostesses to waitresses to servers to the food to the view, this is one of Roanoke's best dining experiences.

We sampled Baked Brie appetizer which was a surprising hit. The shrimps in the shrimp cocktail were quite large and flavorful. The garlic bread was also a nice complement. My wife ordered a steak which was cooked to perfection. The Seafood Imperial was amazing.

Yes, Carlo's is a little pricey, but it is a great place for a special night out. The quality of the whole dining experience is well worth the price.