“Roanoke landmark GREAT Subs!!”

New Yorker Deli & Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 513 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American, Deli
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a big sub person, but this place has AMAZING sandwiches! Lots of food for the value, great sides too. Try the potato salad!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My first visit to the New Yorker was in 1978 before seeing Dr. Hook and Sha Na Na at the Roanoke Civic Center. I ordered the Sailor sandwich then and I still love it now. The New Yorker's sandwiches are filled and flavorful. Honestly, I've never had a disappointing sandwich at the New Yorker. If you like authentic deli meats and cheeses on fresh bread you can't go wrong here.

One thing to remember: no credit cards, so be sure you have cash.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the best old school delicatessens that I have been visiting since the early '80's. This is an iconic restaurant in Roanoke and they have always served the best in town. My favorites are the New Yorker Special and the Onion Wheel. If you are all about deli meat then the New Yorker is for you....4 meats on your choice of breads, I prefer the Rye bread. Tons of meat on each selection and great tasting slaw. Their German slaw is outstanding. Great beers and desserts to add to the great tasting food. Be sure to take cash because they do not take credit/debit cards. I always look forward to my deli subs at least twice a month. You will not be disappointed in the food or the price, most subs are under $7.

1  Thank David A
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived around 11:15 on Sunday morning. We were waited on quickly by a very friendly waitress and our food was out in about 10 minutes. The menu is extensive and very well priced. The service is great and if you are in a hurry, you can get in and out quickly. Our sandwiches were so good, we bought corned beef to take home for sandwiches that evening. I would highly recommend this place, it is super!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I grew up eating New Yorker subs. It is definitely a Roanoke landmark! Subs are huge and fantastic. My favorite was always their original, and turkey & swiss subs until I became a vegetarian many years ago. I still love to get their swiss cheese bagels, and my family all adore the subs. 22 year old and husband both love the Roast Beef sub - which can be ordered well done, or rare. 11 year old and my mother love the Turkey Sub. All their subs are just heaping with meat, and you choose whether to add slaw or lettuce, along with onions, tomato, peppers, etc. They have some kind of magical thing happening there that no other place has... and people always know if you have been there, because there is a particular scent that lingers on your clothes for a little while. That is not meant to sound creepy or gross - it is a very fresh but spicy kind of thing. Other readers who have been there will know what I mean! Anyway, they have a fantastic deli counter full of meats, cheeses, olives, pickles, etc., and many kinds of breads available for purchase. They do gorgeous deli trays, baklava trays, and have cheesecake worth risking a month's calories for that you can buy by the slice, a whole cheesecake, or half, with various toppings. Other desserts twirl in a glass case, which is always fun to watch, but who can get past the cheesecake? They do a huge to-go business with subs, etc, too, and have many kinds of chips, beer, etc available. You can literally ask a bunch of people over or decide to have a picnic, stop in at New Yorker and all your party prep is done. We do that often. They truly have everything you need. They are cash-only, as they have always been, so you do have to plan ahead or stop at the atm. They say that is how they keep their prices so low, and it's true - they have ridiculously low prices as compared to other chain sub shops. Staff is hit or miss on personality, but they stay so busy that it doesn't matter. Service is always good. They have a full cocktail menu, various beers, and Dr. Browns drinks, too! There is even a little candy counter at the cash register. We always get a peppermint patty to share, and often a pack of mints. Whether we need them or not, when you have done something for 30 or 40 years, you might as well keep it up! Going to New Yorker is definitely one of those traditions. When friends visit from out of town, who either used to live here or have visited before, they always want to go back. Definitely the best subs we have ever encountered anywhere!

2  Thank JediBoysAndFamily