New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Rmax loves the free shuttle service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Take advantage of the free shuttle service to go downtown and experience the local restaurants and night life. The shuttle runs to about midnight and when your ready to be picked up, just call the Hotel and they arrive in 5-15 minutes.

Room Tip: We have stayed at this Hotel numerous times and have found that there are two sizes of rooms. Even t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rmax38
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear rmax38, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations when visiting Roanoke. We agree that the shuttle service is a wonderful amenity for our guests and do hope all of our guests have an opportunity to take advantage of the service. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

First, I will preface by saying I travel A LOT for my job and live out of hotel rooms, and have done so for the past 6 months on the road. I experience a lot of hotels from all price ranges. This was by far one of the best hotels I think I have ever stayed in; my co-workers and I discuss it frequently when we end up having to stay at a Knights Inn or Days Inn or something like that. "Ugh, remember how amazing the Hotel Roanoke was?", is usually a frequent comment. First off the property itself is absolutely stunning and I enjoy the fact that so much of the history behind this place has been maintained, however much of the hotel has the modern amenities that one might look for. The rooms were wonderfully clean and smelled fresh, as if they had just been cleaned, something you don't always find with every hotel. The staff was wonderfully courteous and helpful. The bar is flat out over priced (this is coming from someone who lives in Manhattan), but I guess you expect that with most hotels. One of the best parts to me was the value of the room rates. I felt like for the price I paid for our room, for what we received, that we were receiving an amazing value. I like when hotels do this and don't charge outlandish rates because if I ever return to Roanoke for whatever reason, I would most definitely stay at this hotel again because of that. I love the property and the beds, and everything else, but the value is what will personally keep me as a customer. Having a reasonably low rate (maybe it was just our group rate, but even so), with all those amenities will keep more people in your hotel and spur greater amounts of business through word of mouth and return customers. If you stay anywhere in Roanoke, this should be the hotel you give your business to! Fantastic hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear JZinNYC2009, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words from a seasoned traveler and will certainly look into the food and beverage aspect of your review. I will share your review with our staff and we hope to see you again in Roanoke soon!

Safe Travels,
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My company sends us to Roanoke often and the Hotel Roanoke is always our first choice when it is available. I say "when" it is available as 2 of the last 4 times it has been fully booked. The price on this hotel is slightly higher than surrounding hotels of similar class. We however choose it for a few things:

Great location: You can walk across the pedestrian bridge to a small downtown with a bunch of shops, bars and restaurants. It is also very easy to get to and right off the thruway.

Good on-property food and beverage: Really nice bar area open late enough that serves food along with a full restaurant.

Nice executive floor: Small upgrade in price, but nice private executive floor with a well run executive lounge with free food/beverage/computers.

They provide free parking on site as well. Good overall hotel with what I think is a great location. The hotel is a little bit "older" and "traditional" but it is kept up well.

Room Tip: The executive "floor" is a few extra dollars but gives you access to a small executive lou...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear Patrick D, thank you for your review of the hotel We appreciate your continued patronage and look forward to serving you in the future. I will share your review with our staff as the points you mentioned need to be A+ upon each and every visit for out guests.

Halifax, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We deliberately stayed at this full service hotel on Christmas day because they were serving food! (Have had this challenge on holidays previously) The food is EXCELLENT! Service from all staff is far superior.

We didn't have time to stay in town, but it looks like you can walk to in town shopping.

Room Tip: Staying on the concierge level is worth the price as it gives you access to private late afternoon a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear suzlib, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations during the holidays. We know how difficult it can be when staying away from home and I am thrilled to read that your experience was delightful. I will share your review with our staff and hope to see you again soon.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice, but starting to show wear and tear from 1990’s renovation. Not as elegant as one would expect. Staff are good, but no extraordinary. My room was small, but was a corner room that are commonly found in older properties and was priced accordingly so was a good value. Nice fitness center and a small business center. Ate only one meal in the casual pub, which was pleasant. Easy walk to downtown Roanoke via a pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks.
BOTTOM LINE: Fine if one needs to be downtown or attending an event at the hotel, but not exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Davidwatts
Dear Davidwatts, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations when visiting the Roanoke Valley. I was disappointed to read your review as we strive to provide the best product, service and experience in southwest Virginia and unfortunately were not at our best upon your visit. I will share your review with our staff and do invite you back, so that we can show you how we have corrected upon your previous stay.

Roanoke, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This year we chose The Hotel Roanoke to host our party. Lauren, our coordinator was absolutely perfect from menu choices, to drinks and table arrangements. The staff was well trained, respectful and and thorough. The food was incredible and presented beautifully. The best part was I had no pressure accept to enjoy the band and party. We included executive level rooms for everyone from out of town eliminating any chance of a guest getting a DUI. The evenning was followed by a fabulous breakfast. My confidence is so great I have already scheduled next years party for twice the number of people.

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Executive Level Rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Keith M, thank you for the kind review and I was pleased to read how well everything was executed. We strive daily to provide the best in product, service and experience and it is great to see it all come together, especially during the holidays. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to serving you in 2013. I will share your review with our staff.

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a beautiful place to stay. The hotel is gorgeous with a fascinating history and interesting exhibits. It's a short walk across a covered pedestrian bridge to a really nice marketplace with plenty of dining choices and nice shops. The staff at the hotel from bellmen, front desk and bartender were courteous and helpful. This is my new favorite!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Dear Karen95, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations when visiting the Roanoke Valley. We appreciate being the new favorite and hope we can continue serving you on future visits. Thank you again.