“The BEST experience, even under difficult conditions”

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed at this exquisite hotel during Hurricane Sandy, and I can attest to the calm and reassuring manner the hotel employees used when dealing with a hotel full of guests during a difficult time. While Roanoke got the edges of the hurricane, it was still a violent storm outside, and the hotel employees and workers lived and had families in the worst areas. I would guess that something like this type of emergency would either bring out the best or the worst of a hotel, and trust me, this hotel worked very well indeed. The electricity flickered only once, as the hotel has its own generator, and the conference I was attending continued smoothly, as though there was nothing wrong outside the hotel's doors at all. Food kept arriving, well cooked and well served, rooms were cleaned, hotel workers were courteous and friendly at all times, and our anxious inquiries were met with professional and calm answers. Everyone worked hard to keep our conference going well. We had everything we needed to experience a successful conference, and more. If we did not want to eat in the hotel restaurant or bar (both excellent, by the way), the hotel arranged for transportation to a working restaurant nearby, calling ahead for us and making sure the restaurant was still open, and letting them know they were sending out a group of guests. The hotel worked so smoothly, that it was almost a shock to turn, and look out a window to see the huge storm going on outdoors. Inside: all calm and efficient friendliness. I commend all the employees of this wonderful Hotel and Conference Center. You all showed grace under pressure.

Room Tip: Book an Executive level hotel room. They come with a private lounge area for the guests in these ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Dear Karen J, thank you for your review of the hotel. It is wonderful to read a review as your as we strive daily to present the best product, service and experience to all of our guests. I will share your review with our staff! Happy Holidays!

Gary Walton

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Recently married and visiting home town, we were booked in the Hotel Roanoke for a three night stay. Great location of the hotel and I personally prefer this style with the grandeur and just the history surrounding it. Driving up to the hotel I was equally impressed by it's presence. Giving that the hotel is old (~1890's) entrance to the lobby from parking was a bit confusing if you are not using the valet. During the winter months I would highly suggesting paying the $5 dollar difference if you are coming and going a lot.

As we entered the lobby I was taken away by the beauty of it and first impressions were great. Art work was timely and the woodwork was breathtaking. They had a fire roaring at one of the fireplaces and the hotel was decorated to the T for Christmas. There is no replacement for hotels of this era.

Check in staff was plentiful and timely with the fresh cookies from the warmer behind the counter. There was initial confusion as the rooms were mixed up on the breakfast certificate but that was worked out in a heartbeat, with sincere apologies.

The room was beautiful with appointed furniture for the time so it was not walking into an IKEA showroom. The view was great with the train station visible. The room was quiet and has a lot of storage for extended stays. No smells to note, and the heater/AC worked perfectly while a lil loud (not noisy) it kept the room warm.

The bedding was really nice and clean, with the bed being a great blend between soft and firm. The bathroom was well stocked with Crabtree and Evelyn but I would have liked to have seen a bathtub and shower that were updated instead of being something plain jane.There was some calcium/mineral build up on the fixtures, and the water valve was mislabeled as when it was on hot it was pointing to cold. Learned that the hard way, as the hot water is extremely hot, if you visit with kids, please tell them to watch the water temperature. Ample pillows adorned the bed and it was very inviting but we decided to get situated and check out the rest of the hotel.

Walking around one can just imagine the hotel back in the grand days of travel. The management has done a great job with keeping it to its roots with lil hints of modern technology. I took my wife to the multiple ballrooms that the hotel has and danced around. Crystal chandeliers were above us and looked spotless. It is a shame to stop and think that we have moved away from hotels of this era to IKEA cookie cutters...

As with all reviews there has to be a drawback and it is not an employees fault but managements fault is the execution of breakfast. The buffet style breakfast in the Regency room which was complimentary was wonderful the first day but the second day as more guests arrived the staff was overburdened, and I could see that it was simple fix.

The layout of the buffet in the back was causing delays and a uninviting line for the buffet. There was one cook making the omelets to ordered and was doing his best to keep up with the demand. Two or three in the main room away from those just grabbing granola would be the best bet.

The utensils for the fresh fruit, which was perfect, where not the best selection for the job because I saw one older lady get frustrated with trying to get the fruit because it was like cutting a steak with a spoon. I bypassed that and got the ample buffet which was well stocked and had plentiful selection.

Lastly, as I said the staff was undermanned as the hostesses were resetting the tables and the waiters were running around which was causing service to not be at its peak. Hopefully the management will take care of the staffing issue as I do not put this on the staff itself but on management's oversight of preplanning for the holiday rush.

As I said before the service that I received was great but there is always room for improvement and I would not hesitate to stay again at the Hotel Roanoke for the service I received, and the hotel itself. It is a great place to stay and location is amazing. Don't hesitate to book a night here. Well worth it!!

Room Tip: All the rooms would be great as everyone should have a view of Roanoke and the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jared M

Dear Jared M, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I appreciate honest reviews and we will certainly take your experience into consideration to put corrective measures in place to ensure the best experience had by all of our guests. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you will come back again in the future to see our improvements. Happy holidays!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I grew up in Roanoke, and frequently visited the Hotel Roanoke for various reasons - trade shows, performances, and the peanut soup in the Regency Dinign Room was always a special treat when we brought home high grades on our report cards! I never had the chance to stay there, though. While on our honeymoon, my wife and I decided to visit my childhood hometown, and where else would we stay but the Hotel Roanoke?!? From the moment we drove up, it was a first-class experience! Check-in was friendly and quick. We had a room on the Executive Level, which provided excellent snacks and drinks in the lounge. The room itself was very comfortable, and had a magnificent view of the Mill Mountain Star above the adjacent Taubman Museum of Art. The walkway over the railroad yard provided quick and convenient access to the Market area in downtown, with a great selection of shops, restaurants, and bars/nightclubs. The only less-than-stellar remark I have is that, like all Hilton properties, they charge $10 a day for WiFi. Our stay at the Hotel Roanoke was an amazing eperience, and the fulfillment of a life-long wish!

Room Tip: City View/Mountain View rooms are absolutely worth the upcharge!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Andy L, thank you for your review of the hotel and for spending such a special occasion with us. We are honored to be a part of your special day and certainly appreciate all the kind words. I hope you have the opportunity to spend many more memories with us in the future. Congratulations!

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

The facade of the hotel is vey historic and I felt like ice stood back in time. The lobby (one of them) is very ample to walk around with plenty of seating areas unlike other modern hotels. The reception was quite small but I guess they are preservating the history of the hotel.

The elevator had carpet! And the hallways of The hotel were about 6 feet wide. This is not your typical one-straight hallway. It had several inner corridors so make sure you read the signs when getting to your room. It could be a little bit of a walk.

The room itself was very square and for the first time I found the bathroom not to be right next door when opening the door. Ten room had a small window but the drapery made it seem very long. I'm not a fan of old/antique furnishings, but it sort of work with the theme of the hotel. I would have like to have an eclectic look ( for example an ornogamic chair which is more comfortable with and the look of an old desk) but it was ok. I didn't spent time sitting on that chair though.

The thing that I like the most was the removable make up mirror with light. Thank you!!!! And of course an ample bathroom ( even thought the vanity was a little higher than normal since it was decorated with an antique piece). Overall it was good and the staff was nothing but friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear CecibelB, thank you for your review of the hotel and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have an opportunity to come and visit us again soon! Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is a beatiful old hotel that seems well maintained. The best feature is the location near a walkway to downtown Roanoke. It was great to get up in the morning and walk downtown for breakfast and again later in the day. The hotel room seemed a little cramped, but clean and pleasant. The staff could have been a little friendlier, but no problems. Also, the pool is a little odd, very small and apparently filled with salt-water, but it was nice to have it there on an August day. We were at the end of a summer family vacation and got an OK weekend rate, but I might hesitate if paying full-price during a busy period.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at The Hotel Roanoke. Upon arrival the valet were extremely courteous and helpful. We were able to get an early check-in and be in our room within 10 minutes of arrival. The corner room we were given was very spacious and clean and had wonderful views of the Roanoke Star and downtown. Room service was timely and the staff was very polite! We are from Roanoke and are very familiar with the Hotel Roanoke but every time we stay we are always pleasantly surprised with the superb service we receive. I recommend this hotel to everybody coming to the Roanoke area due to the first-rate staff, the grandeur of the building and also its close proximity to downtown.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sheila S, thank you for your review of the hotel. We are always honored when our friends from the area have an opportunity to experience the hotel. I appreciate the kind words and will share them with our staff! Happy holidays!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Hotel Roanoke offers a special holiday brunch in thier dining room which is excellent.
The selections of food offered were limited , but what was offered was delicious.
Be sure to try thier soups; the she-crab soup was amazing and their signature peanut soup was also wonderful.
The decor was beautifully done for the holiday season and I was especially pleased to eat at tables that had lovely white linen tableclothes !
Service was great and the hot cider drink was a nice touch to finish the meal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Allison S, thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I will share your review with our staff as our Food & Beverage team works extremely hard during the holiday season and it's wonderful to read experiences that complimentary. I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon!