The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Would not return”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was very disappointed by our stay. I was very excited about coming, due to the historic nature of the building and being a native Virginian. My husband and I came on business. We were put in a room with two double beds, and when asked if we could move to a King room, were curtly told that there were no other options - on a weekday night? hmmm. I received the same response and manner from the staff the next day. It was not worth pressing the issue, but definitely not the Virginia hospitality I am accustomed to.

Also, I did expect small rooms, as in any historic building. However, the rooms where surprisingly bare-bones in contrast to the luxurious lobby. Perhaps as a conference center, guests don't mind this, but for a weekend getaway I would recommend looking elsewhere. Too bad.

1 Thank A S
, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear A S, thank you for your review of the hotel. It is our intent with every guest to ensure the best possible stay and experience when visiting our historic property. I am disappointed to read your experience fell well short of this standard and will be sharing your review with our staff. While conferences in-house can quickly bring our hotel to capacity, our southern hospitality should never be sacrificed at this expense and this is not the standards of service of our hotel. I do hope when if visiting the Roanoke Valley, you would allow us to make it up to in true southern fashion.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Turkish first
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Let me start by saying this hotel is a beautiful property that does Roanoke proud. The historic lobby and entrance makes you feel like you are a railroad tycoon arriving in the early 1900's. From the valet parking, which is only $12/day to the nice outdoor dining overlooking the city. I stayed for three nights on business and I am a Diamond Member for Hilton, Platinum member for Marriott and Holiday Inn, so I consider myself I pretty good authority on hotels. The hotel also has a catwalk over the railroad tracks to downtown shops and restaurants, this is a major plus. As for quality,everything was acceptable except, the shower curtain had mold on the top part. If you stay at hotel often, you will notice the lower part of the shower curtain are detachable, making them easy to wash, but apparently they have not washed the upper half in a while. Also, one of my towels had a huge hole in it, the size of my hand. Apparently, security needs more staff, while I was at the pool, neighborhood kids in jeans came in the back entrance on bikes and jumped in the pool, after 20 minutes I called security. I had a 6am flight out the next morning and people were partying their room down the hall and banging on doors around 10 pm, which is something that has never happened to me at a Hilton property, after 30 minutes I called security again. The promptly came up and told them to be quiet but did not hang around to here them noisily exit, 5 minutes later. Around at 11pm, the fire alarm was set off, apparently by a construction crew they way the fire department was questioning them, evacuating the whole hotel, so not a great last night when you have to get up at 4 am for a flight. That being said, I would like to hear from the management and would like to give them a chance next time I'm in town because the property has so much potential.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank rugdoctor
Smyrna, Tennessee
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We have stayed in Roanoke many times, had never tried staying at the Hotel Roanoke, wish we had done so in the past. Wonderful location--great access to Market Square, the art museum, O. Winston Link Museum, restaurants--easy walking. Service was excellent! The history of the hotel is great also. Definitely worth the extra $s.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Melissamy, thank you for your review of the hotel and thank you for staying with us. I hope when your travels bring you back to Roanoke, you will once again choose us for your lodging accommodations. Come back again soon, lots of great things on the horizon!

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The photos on the Hotel Roanoke website are impressive, and the hotel by and large lives up to those gleaming photos. The grass is the most perfect grass you'll ever see and it has the appearance of a castle rising from the city. But the really impressive part is the spread that they put on for conferences. There are always plenty of snacks and drinks around every corner, free internet, and great rooms and facilities. Main meals are pretty standard fare, but it's the little stuff that counts. The rooms are about average size and not exceptionally sleek or clean, but definitely very good. It's also in a great spot to hit the downtown during the day or night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear EnchantedRogue, thank you for your review and thank you for choosing our Hotel for your meeting – we’re happy to hear it was a success! We hope to welcome you back again – we enjoyed taking care of you.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The decor and service at this hotel is impeccable. I suggest springing for the valet parking. It isn't expensive and it adds a great deal to the overall experience. The food and service in the restaurant is excellent too. All around a good experience. There's even a walkway to the art museum across the street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob R, thank you for your review and your kind words. I do hope you have the opportunity to come back to southwest Virginia again soon and see all the great things on the horizon. Thank you for choosing us for your accommodations.

Safe travels,
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I first stayed at this grand hotel 20 years ago. It has only improved with age. The convention center and walk way to downtown are great additions. The staff was wonderful. My friend was having some stomach trouble so I asked the front desk attendant where I could go get some Pepto. She told me to meet a staffer at the gift shop and they would open it up for us. Keep in mind that is was 11:00pm and the gift shop isn't even open on Sundays. The staffer was very pleasant. The room was spotless and beds very comfortable. The very small difference in price ($10) from the The Hotel Roanoke compare to another hotel (HI) is definitely worth the difference.

Room Tip: I had a corner room over the convention center and had wonderful light.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Kaiserphoto, thank you for your review and the kind words. We appreciate your patronage over the years and it's wonderful you have found the hotel to age gracefully. Your comments about your stay made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable along with our great location. I will share your review with our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Arlington VA
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Hotel is perfect and is really the best place to stay in Roanoke. Great location -- walking distance across the train tracks to the Market Square.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear gasngoArlingtonVA, thank you for your review and for staying with us. We’re glad you had a taste of our warm, caring service along with our delicious cookie at check in. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Safe Travels,