New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #2 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Virginia
“Classy venue with history and charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Hotel Roanoke has been a reknowned Roanoke hotel since the 19th century. The most recent renovation has returned it to its earlier glory. The rooms are spacious and well stocked. The amenities and activities available at the hotel are ample and up-to-date. In addition, the hotel connects by enclosed walkway to an active downtown scene of excellent restautrants, bars, art galleries, museums and an outdoor Farmers Market.

The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and very courteous.

Room Tip: Tip: choose the upgrade option for a larger room and/or a room in the Executive wing (free breakfast...
    • 5 of 5 stars
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Sunset2b, thank you for your review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the great overview for other travelers looking to stay here. We couldn't have said it any shorter or sweeter! I hope you have an opportunity to come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Roanoke for one night during our trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. We selected this hotel mainly because of it's historical background but also because of their location (downtown, very convenient to the restaurants), reasonable rates and our positive experience with Hilton hotels. Hotel Roanoke did not disappoint. The hotel is beautiful and very well maintained. Staff is welcoming and helpful. They were sold out on the night we were there due to a large wedding but despite large number of guests, the check-in was quick and staff very efficient. The only reason they lost one star is the noise. It's an older hotel and the soundproofing is not as good as could be desired. It appears that a large number of wedding guests had rooms on our floor and every time they talked in the hallway or open and close one of their doors, we could hear them in our room. This was not a huge issue and something to be expected.
We had breakfast in their Regency Room next morning and breakfast buffet was good. I only wish that their omelet station had a more experienced chef but it was outweighed by their signature muffins which were heavenly, especially the carrot raisin with organic honey. I would not mind one of them right now!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Galaxy775, thank you for your review of the Hotel. Thank you for addressing your issues regarding noise levels, it is an inconvenience and I apologize for it. It is an ongoing issue that is being addressed by our team. I hope you continue to seek the Hilton Brand and the family of brands within Hilton. I hope you have also looked into being a HHonors member. I hope you enjoyed your time on the parkway and thank you for choosing us for your lodging needs when traveling through the area. We hope you can make it back again soon!

Safe Travels,
nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I had not stayed at the Hotel Roanoke in over thirty years but had remembered as a teenager how beautiful and elegant it had seemed. Some things do get better with age and The Hotel Roanoke fits that bill! My husband and myself and our nine children set out on Saturday afternoon to attend a family wedding at the Hotel. We no longer live in Virginia and had a couple hours drive to get there. The only problem with the hotel came at check in. We drove up at 3:15 and only one of our three rooms were ready for check in. We did not opt for valet parking and it took a minute for us to get the attention of the bell hop to help us with our luggage and I was starting to feel like we were in for a long weekend. It turns out check in is not until 4pm (which seemed a little late to me) but they got the rooms ready in a jiffy and we were all ready for the 5pm wedding. After the slow start everything else was just about perfect. The wedding was in the courtyard and was BEAUTIFUL. The reception was equally lovely. The hotel is immaculate and I loved the crown molding, light fixtures, wallpaper, panelling....it is all absolutely fabulous. Its like a smaller version of the Homestead right in southwest Virginia! We did not have time to enjoy the spa services but ate breakfast the next morning in the dining room. We requested to all sit together which can be difficult for some wait staff to figure out for some reason but they worked it out quickly and sat us in the Virginia room which was an intimate wood paneled room right off the main dining room. The breakfast was great and service fantastic. I can't wait to think up an excuse to stay here again and would definitely recommend a wedding at the hotel. I also want to add the hotel rooms are very reasonably priced...we have stayed at chain hotels for more than we paid per night at the Hotel Roanoke. This hotel makes me proud to be from southwest Virginia!

• 5 of 5 stars
Dear buttercup16, thank you for your review of the hotel. My apologies for the inconveniences addressed in the post, I will share these with our staff and we will work to ensure this doesn't happen again. Aside from that though, I loved reading your review. I do hope you have the opportunity to come back soon and we have a proud heritage of serving southwest Virginia. It's a great place to be! See you soon.

Safe travels,
fburg VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I selected this hotel for it's historic background. As a club, we like to visit locations with historical significance and this did not dissappoint.

Both the exterior and interior retain their historic appearance tho modernized. The grounds and gardens are beautiful and the mirrored VT Hokie Bird outside the hotel was fantastic.

My room was large and comfortable though some of our group did not find the beds to be up to snuff.

We did not take advantage of the dining opportunities in the hotel but group members who did say they enjoyed the meal (Sunday breakfast buffett).

The hotel is in easy walking distance (via the pedestrian bridge) to the downtown market, restaraunts and local museums.

I recommend this to everyone who visits Roanoke. At least do it once, you may want to revisit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Dear jaxc4, thank you for your review of the Hotel. I appreciate you selecting our hotel for your Corvette Club and am glad you enjoyed your stay and some took advantage of our award-winning dining options. I would like to learn more about any issues your club encountered with the beds. I do hope you will consider us again for your club and hope you can make it back to the Roanoke Valley again soon!

Thanks,
yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed for one night in May. Self park is just before the hotel and if you are coming from the highway. I would suggest taking your car to the main door as there is an incline up to the hotel and then park.The hotel is spotless and has kept the feeling of old world charm. We had an executive room which was lovely. The beds were very comfy. The Executive Lounge was ok -no alcohol and quite limited with snacks but breakfast (continental) was very nice. We chose to eat in the bar in the evening which was lovely. You were made to feel very welcome and service was excellent. If we were ever in this area again I would stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear JJYork, thank you for your review of the hotel. I appreciate the kind words and am honored that when your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, you will consider another stay with us. I will share your review with our staff.

Safe Travels,
Arlington Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have stayed at the Hotel as a guest many times for business and pleasure and it is a vintage Roanoke landmark with elegant, comfortable rooms. The service has always been outstanding, rooms always clean and the darn Doubletree cookies are an indulgence that will salve any oversight.
The Regency dining room is a destination by itself. They offer elegant breakfast fare but the offering we chose is the Mother's day brunch this past weekend.
We have considered the holiday buffets over the years but by the time I decide I don't want to cook a full holiday meal in my son's apartment I regret not making the reservations well enough in advance. But this past Mother's day we made it and it is a not to be missed event. The food is outstanding, the service impeccable and the piano player at their in dining baby grand piano was the ultimate in ambiance for the day. Not that it was pretentious....there were large families with little ones enthusastially choosing their meals. And if you don't want to ruin your eating plan with the best scones, pineapple upside down cake or spoonbread around, there is a very healthy selection of fresh salads, seafood, vegetables. The complimentary mimosa was just the icing on the cake. We had a remarkable time and I plan on making reservations for Thanksgiving as soon as possible.

• 5 of 5 stars
Dear LindaR2010, thank you for your review of the hotel. I appreciate the kind words and am thankful that you were able to attend our Mother's Day Buffet! I would encourage your sentiments about Thanksgiving as reservations do fill up quite quickly and I wouldn't want you to miss out. Thank you for spending Mother's Day with us. We work hard to treat the Mother's out there with an offering that is very special and unique and it is a pleasure to read such a review about this year's.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I love staying at the Hotel Roanoke. The experience is wonderful and the recent renovations have made an great hotel even better. So why three stars? Because of the used, wet washcloth that hung on the shower rod in my room when I arrived. That is unexcusable and how housekeeping missed it is beyond me. I saw it immediately. This was the first time I ever doubted if my room was properly cleaned at the Hotel Roanoke.

I stayed at the hotel to attend a conference that my organization was hosting. Our experience this year was much different than the last time we hosted a conference here. I just felt the Hotel took our business for granted. Staff seemed completely unprepared for our group and things that should have been in place were not which caused us a great delay in getting set-up and ready to greet our attendees. They also seemed woefully understaffed and handling more than one conference at a time seemed to overwhelmed. Also, they "can do" attitude that staff exhibited during previous stays was missing. Requests went unanswered.

FIVE STARS though for the Regency Room. Pricey but well worth the bucks for delicious food. I would recommend them for a nice get away, honeymoon, celebration etc. but not for a conference.

FIVE STARS for the bellmen and front desk staff.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not facing the train tracks.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Gary_Walton_GM, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Anlycoar, thank you for your review of the hotel. I want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. Your events are not acceptable in any way by the standards, principles and guest experience we set forth to provide for all of our guests. These issues will be addressed immediately and I will share your review with our entire staff. I want to assure you that all visitors, guests and business that is conducted at our property is deeply valued and appreciated. We strive daily to present the best possible guest experience and I hope this stay will not deter you from future stays when traveling to Roanoke.