“Amazing Hotel...Amazing Downtown...Amazing Getaway”

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
New Bern, North Carolina
“Amazing Hotel...Amazing Downtown...Amazing Getaway”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I just returned from a trip through Roanoke, Va and loved this hotel so much that I came home and have already planned a girl's weekend and a couples getaway here this Fall. What a beautiful, old world-style hotel with the conveniences of a modern boutique hotel. This hotel is epic and its decor makes you feel like you are on the Titanic...chandeliers, fireplaces, and antiques surround you. The hotel built in the 1800's is close to a skywalk downtown to the restaurant/shopping area of Roanoke. It is the perfect size downtown...just enough restaurants and shopping yet not so big that you don't feel comfortable walking around at night. Don't miss Thelma's Chicken n Waffles, the Texas Tavern, and Metro.

Room Tip: Ask about the Governor's Suite
Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear Cayoncristy, thank you for your review of The Hotel Roanoke. What a fantastic review to read, we look forward to your returns! Next time you come, check out The Regency Room when you're here. We offer some of the finest dining in the Valley. We can't wait for you to come back! Let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay extra special. Safe Travels.

Gary Walton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed here one night in June during a road trip to DC. The hotel dates from the 1890's or so, and is a grand, Southern style hotel on the edge of downtown Roanoke. The lobby and public areas were beautiful, and the rooms were very clean and very nicely decorated. The bathroom was very nice - big granite countertop in the bathroom, with plenty of space for your stuff, and plenty of light - thank goodness, as many hotels seem to skimp in those categories! The hotel is walking distance from downtown Roanoke and a nice little restaurant/shopping district. The hotel is also very close to the train museum, which was huge draw for my three boys. Train buffs will think they are in heaven at this hotel. After spending the previous 5 nights in a nice but very standard issue DC hotel, the historic charm of this hotel was a treat. The downsides were (i) the walls were thin, so there was noise from the hallway; (ii) we were awakened early in the morning, after a late arrival the night before, by a maid delivering extra towels, mistakenly thinking we had called down for them; and (iii) later, a maid entering the room to clean while I was in the middle of getting ready, even though were were due to check out that morning. Other than that, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and my kids were thrilled with the delicious chocolate chip cookies upon check-in. This hotel has a lot of character and we will stay here again if our travels ever take us back to Roanoke.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear JAKC5, thank you for your review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center. I am glad you experienced the historic nature of our wonderful city. Also, I apologize for the lapse in maid service, we are looking into the situation and discussing with our team. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you make it back to Roanoke soon. Safe travels.

Gary Walton,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I was there July 14 Thur night we went to the Executive Lounge and was surprised that there was no one there to serve wine and beer, it was sitting out on the counter,it seems everyone was helping themselves. I have stayed there before and the attendant would write out a slip for drinks served, although no one complained about not being charged my concern was that there were teen age kids in the lounge also, who is to say that when no adult was around they could not help themselves to the alcohol. I am unsure what happened this day but it was surprising that no attendant was there to serve what I believed that the drink were not free, maybe this has changed. I wouldn't let my teenage children come unattended when such things like this occurred on the particular day. Just seem odd and unsafe. Other than that stay was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Logan1959
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Logan 1959, thank you for your review of the hotel. We sincerely apologize for this incident to have occurred and please understand this is in no way standard operating procedure of the Executive Lounge. This should have never happened and we have taken corrective measures to ensure this will never happen again. We do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Sincerely, Gary Walton, General Manager
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stopped here en route between Tenn. and Washington DC for an overnight stay. The room was comfortable and a nice size. The next morning we went to look around and a security guard was kind enough to give us the grand tour. And what a tour! The facility is wonderful and I am most excited to promote the Hotel Roanoke for future conferences with the terrific facilities which beautifully combine history with modern functionality. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Elizabeth23, thank you for your review of the hotel. We are extremely proud of our history and heritage in the Valley and are glad you had a guided tour around to see all this hotel has meant to this area since 1882. Thank you for staying with us. It is these types of reviews that we love to see and read as it exemplifies the experiences we try to present our guests. Please visit again soon.
Safe Travels,
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Amid other mediocre hotels in the Roanoke area, the Hotel Roanoke is a treat. Exterior is quite impressive, valet and bellman very attentive. Nice wood paneled lobby, spacious rooms, great bed, and linens. Although the restaurant closed at 9pm so we missed dinner, the breakfast buffet was quite nice with omelets or eggs cooked to order and a variety of local favorites. The pub was open serving bar food, and we were directed to a local steakhouse, Frankie Rowlands, that was excellent.

The price was a good value in comparison to other local hotels that are far less inviting and lower quality. Having stayed at the other area hotels, I highly recommend Hotel Roanoke.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank luxurydoesmatter
GaryWalton, General Manager at The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear luxurydoesmatter, thank you for your review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, we are glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope if you find you way back to Roanoke in the future you will choose to stay with us again!

Safe Travels,
Poconos, Pa
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have wanted to stay at the Hotel Roanoke since forever. I stayed there for the July 4th holiday weekend and was a little disappointed. Firstly, I added a room upgrade corner room that I was under the idea would have a sofa. I had a relative who wanted to visit and stay my first night but the room did not have a sofa. There was a dirty washcloth tucked in the corner of the shower rod that apparently was left there by housekeeping. Secondly, while the hotel is majestic and quite beautiful, the rooms were just ok...very small bathroom, no refrigerator or microwave. Thirdly, aside from hiking back and forth to the parking lot which did not have any handicap spaces I noticed that the young men at the entrance only helped those who either tipped well or looked like they were big tippers. I struggled with my bags and 87yr old mother alone, I guess I didn't look like a big tipper.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dnatal
Dear dnatal, thank you for your review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center. We are extremely disappointed to read your review and apologize for the problems you experienced. We strive daily to provide the absolute top level of service and accommodations and unfortunately did not deliver upon your stay. While lapses in service can happen from time to time, this is completely unacceptable and I assure you the issues noted have been corrected and dealt with, with proper procedures in place to prevent them from reoccurring. Again, I apologize for our mistakes and we do hope you give us another opportunity to accommodate you if you are in Roanoke again.

manassas
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My husband and I, family and friends all stayed here for our wedding last July. It was amazing, throughout my dealings with the hotel in the months leading up to the wedding, they were helpful, polite, and very accomodating. My family and friends had a wonderful time at the bar, pool, and the buffett on Sunday morning was fabulous! I do agree that the paid parking is a little much, as you have no other option, but it is what it is.
We stayed in the premium luxurious King, and it was wonderful. The room, the view, everything was perfect. We are coming back down this Sunday for our 1 year anniversary so we can actually enjoy all the things that our guests did!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristid2, thank you for your review of The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center. It is great to hear you had a wonderful time and that our staff delivered a positive experience from pre-planning to execution. We hope upon your return you experienced all the wonderful things to do in and around our Hotel. Please come back and visit soon! Safe travels, Gary Walton, General Manager