“Wow on the Kale” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1906 Ale House - CLOSED

1906 Ale House
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Roanoke, Virginia
“Wow on the Kale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

After seeing a movie at the Grandin Theater, my husband and I wanted to have dinner in the area. Several nearby restaurants have closed for one reason or another. When we first passed by 1906, I did not think they were serving meals. When we realized that there were diners in the back, we decided to give it a try.
The service was great and the kale that the waitress recommended was the beat I have ever had. My Cuban pork sandwich was worth a repeat performance as well.

• Visited January 2014

Abingdon, Virginia
“Delish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

A yummy find. Our food was fantastic and perfectly cooked. Very friendly wait staff, short wait on our dinner to arrive and great bar. We'd definitely go again.

Roanoke, Virginia
“Terrible New Years party”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We chose to walk her from a friends house on New Years. They had not advertised the cover charge of 15 dollars per person. We paid the cover and went on in. The band was awful, the buffet food was junk and there were about 15 people there.

We were not impressed and do not plan to attend any other "parties" at this restaurant.

We have eaten here and enjoyed the food. I would suggest planning a dinner with no intention of staying for any entertainment offered.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“1906”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stopped by here earlier today with my girlfriend for an early dinner (we were the only ones there) and were really surprised. The restaurant has nice atmosphere but the food really isn't overpriced and they have a wide selection of beer including local brews.

I got the soup of the day (carrot) on a whim and was really blown away - it was one of the best soups I've had in a while and wish I'd gotten a bowl. Between the two of us, I got a bison burger and she got a black bean burger. Both were just about the right size; not massive but not tiny. The bison was good, but a little lacking in flavor. The black bean was great though! One of the better bean burgers I've tasted.

We also got a dessert trio - creme brulee, caramel apple crisp, and mousse (recommended by the waiter). Apparently everything is homemade, even the whipped cream, and it really showed. She said the creme brulee was one of the best she'd ever had and I thought the same about the crisp. The mousse was a little too rich but also good. The trio was only 3 small cups for $7 but honestly it was too much for us to finish. Service was also really, really good!

Overall, really one of the better places I've eaten in Roanoke.

• Visited January 2014
The Great Commonwealth of Va
“Delightful find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Great beer selection. Lovely wine choices also..limited wines by the glass but the choices are excellent! We had the battered & fried scallops for an appetizer which was perfectly cooked. I had a the Mango Shrimp Salad and he had the Cuban sandwich. We both had the house made BBQ chips. Everything was fresh and delicious. Our bartender was attentive & friendly without being invasive. Would definitely go back!!

• Visited December 2013