“Best food in Roanoke”

Dining options: Reservations
Roanoke, Virginia
“Best food in Roanoke”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I can't say enough good things about 1906 Ale House. We've now eaten at 1906 at least ten times, brought friends and family along, recommended to coworkers, and we've all agreed the food is amazing. Simply prepared, yet fresh ingredients seasoned and cooked perfectly. The chef truly knows the art of food. The rosemary grilled chicken with shitake mushrooms and cheesy grits is one of the best things I've ever eaten. Service has always been wonderful and the atmosphere is cozy and friendly. Don't miss the desserts. They are served in mini cups which are just the right size. The chocolate mousse and brownie ones are chocolate heaven in a cup. If you're really daring, try pairing the chocolate desserts with the right beer.

On the bar side, great selection of craft beers on tap along with the best whiskey selection - both Scotch and Bourbon - in town AND bartenders who are educated about them and how to serve them. Amazing in a place city where you usually get a blank look if you ask for a single malt Scotch.

If you are worried about parking there is free parking behind the Co-op on Memorial and 1906 is just around the corner.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank rkecat

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food and nice addition to the neighborhood!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had a great late dinner there on a Friday evening. Everything was wonderful. It's not a huge menu (which is nice) and our table agreed everything we ordered was amazing. Very impressed. The food is high quality and well worth the price.

1 Thank Verucak
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Great food, nice neighborhood place!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was in Roanoke for a short visit and looking for a restaurant. What a GREAT find! Absolutely loved the Prime Rib sandwich and the staff was excellent. If I ever get back to Roanoke, I plan on visiting this restaurant again!

4 Thank Fass17
Boones Mill
“One of the Best Meals I Have Had in a Long Time”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The food at 1906 Ale House is some of the best I have had in a long time at a restaurant. My wife and I ordered the scallops wrapped in bacon, cheese ravioli with crab meat, scallops, and shrimp, and a prime rib sandwich. Everything we ordered was excellent. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and a wonderful staff. I will eat at 1906 Ale House again, very soon.

3 Thank Josh M
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great atmosphere, menu and service”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We ate dinner at the bar here while traveling through Roanoke. 1906 was easy to find with ample parking on the side/in the back for $2. I was a bit concerned when we walked in at 6:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night and the place was almost empty. Our concerns were quickly overcome with quick bar service and great guidance on the menu from the bartender. My husband enjoyed a nice beer flight sampling the "local" breweries which wasn't on the menu. We ordered the bison burger and smoked prime rib sandwich with horseradish on ciabatta. Both of them were excellent. I had the southwestern chicken, black bean and corn soup as my side and it was very good. My husband had the BBQ chips and wished he had ordered another side. They were over seasoned and not quite crunchy enough for him. Our service was very good. The place quickly filled up while we were there. We did not experience the noise issues some other posters have commented on but this was probably because it was an early Tuesday evening. Interior is beautiful!

3 Thank TwoNCTravelingFools