“Truly Authentic Cuban Food”
Review of Cuban Island

Cuban Island
Ranked #26 of 478 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Cuban
Roanoke, Virginia
“Truly Authentic Cuban Food”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

What everyone else has said plus knowing it is good every time. And I adore the owner. She is a wonderfully friendly and interesting lady who loves what she is doing. She and her husband love cooking and serving great Cuban food! In Roanoke...who would ever think that!

Roanoke, Virginia
“It doesn't get any better...”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Best, freshest, and most delicious Cuban food you'll find! Estela is such a gracious hostess and is very willing to take time to describe the menu to newcomers. The place is so clean you could safely eat from the floor. Home made desserts! Home made everything, really. I have had almost everything on the menu at some point or another, and have yet to find anything I dislike. Eat here! You won't be sorry!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank adamthepianoman
Sri Jayawardenepura, Sri Lanka
“Authentic and delicious”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Awesome food and super friendly owner. The island chicken with rice and beans and plantains is incredible. Very fair price. Best cuban cafe ever. A Roanoke must!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Doug D
Roanoke, Virginia
“Authentic Cuban food. Unbelievable flan!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We bumped into Cuban Island by accident when another restaurant we had hoped to try was closed. What a stroke of luck! The Cuban Island is an incredible little eatery. My favorite is the ropa vieja. The beef almost melts in your mouth. It is seasoned perfectly. The Cuban Tacos are another unique dish. The sides are almost as good as the entrees. They serve what are, hands down, the best beans and rice I have ever had. Yucca was a new delicacy for us, but we are definitely on board. The fried plantains are the best I've had.

After our first awesome meal here, we decided to have some dessert (we usually forego the dessert menu). We split a flan. My previous experience with flan was that it was a rubbery, flavorless blob. Cuban Island's flan made me a flan fan! It is incredibly creamy and flavorful. We try to save room for a shot of espresso and a cup of flan.

The restaurant is not the greatest building with the best view (and there is a parking crunch), however the food makes it a MUST STOP in Roanoke. The prices are incredibly inexpensive. Estela runs the show out front and will explain any menu items with which you are not familiar. It is clear she and her husband care about their customers and their product.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Craig H
SW Virginia, United States
“Most authentic and Tasty Cuban food I've ever eaten”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is by far some of the best food I've ever eaten. It is authentic and made fresh every day. The fresh juices are wonderful and Inexpensive. The beans and rice are perfectly seasoned and the Plaintains are perfectly cooked. I can't say enough about this restaurant, their food and the owner. I would eat there every day if I could

• Visited July 2013