“A Must See if you Love Steam Trains or B&W Photography”

O. Winston Link Museum
Ranked #4 of 69 things to do in Roanoke
SF Bay Area
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A Must See if you Love Steam Trains or B&W Photography”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Railroad is in my blood. My grandfather was a conductor during the steam era, although not on the Norfolk & Western. I built model railroads and spent all my pre-teen years hanging around the local freight trains, making friends with the brakemen, and hopping trains when they weren't looking. And I love photography.

I had never heard of O. Winston Link before my friend took me to this museum, but I was usre glad he did. The Norfolk & Western retained steam longer than any other railroad in the US because they hauled coal and built the best and most efficient locomotives in the country. In the 1950's Link captured the equipment, scenary, people, and magic of an era that was very magical.

Roanoke, Virginia is a railroad town. So stay at the Hotel Roanke (built by the railroad), eat at the great restaurant there, and go to this museum to get the real feel for this city.

Visited September 2012

Pinehurst, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Outstanding Photos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Incredible pictures of the Norfolk & Southern Railroad taken before the end of steam locomotives. Most amazing fact is how these scenes were created before the advent of digitial cameras.

Visited September 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amazing photographs!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I grew up near the Virginia Creeper Trail where a lot of O. Winston Links photos were taken. He captures the people and time so well in his photos. I loved visiting the museum and getting to see his art work. The cost for the museum is 5.00 a person, a great deal and worth a visit to anybody visiting the Roanoke area!

Roanoke,VA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I learned something and I know photography. I was glad I took my sister and brother-in-law. We spent the entire Saturday afternoon just looking at the pictures.

Troutville, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very nostalgic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We are from Roanoke and enjoyed seeing the old photos and reading about the history. Link was very talented and each photo tells a story. If you are interested in photography, be sure to take this museum in!

Visited June 2012

Been to O. Winston Link Museum? Share your experiences!