“Pretty view of Roanoke from the roof top! It is free!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Center in the Square

Center in the Square
Ranked #9 of 69 things to do in Roanoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Adjacent to Market Square and the City Market, Center in the Square provides a home to four cultural arts and science non-profit organizations in our signature building in downtown Roanoke: Roanoke Pinball Museum, Harrison Museum of African American Culture, History Museum of Western Virginia, Science Museum of Western Virginia, and Mill Mountain Theatre. Visit our website or call for individual museum admission pricing. Mill Mountain Theatre and Children's Theatre of Roanoke tickets are available through our full-service box office. Come inside to enjoy our aquariums in the atrium and green rooftop without charge. Building Hours: Monday - Saturday 10 am - 5 pm, and Sunday 1 - 5 pm. [Note: Roanoke Pinball Museum is closed Mondays. History Museum is closed on Mondays October through April.]
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pretty view of Roanoke from the roof top! It is free!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

It was nice to visit and view the two year 30 million dollar renovation to center in the square. I only viewed the aquariums on the first floor and the roof top views from floors six and seven. It was nice to get inside out of the heat and want to return again when I can attend a play at the Mill Mountain Theatre. I cannot speak for the three museums as I did not tour them.

Visited July 2013

Staten Island
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“If someone wanted to shoot a movie with no people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The city is beautiful but after 6pm not a soul is around. If you make a movie AFTER THE PEOPLE this is the city

2 Thank travelwithm
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Center in the Square check their math”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I took my best friend's daughter to the Center in the Square Saturday June 8th, 2013. I was charged $32 to go to the Harrison African American Center and also the Science Museum INCLUDING the butterfly Garden, which was half off. Apparently my Science Museum did NOT say Butterfly Garden so when I got up there, I was told I didn't have a ticket. All I had was my $32 receipt and I was told that my Science Museum ticket would have said "Butterfly Garden" on it. The problem was, Katie added it for me at the last minute, so I guess it was not included on the ticket. And after arguing with the girl at the science museum that I had, in fact, paid, I just paid an extra $4. Frustrating. I don't think they have a good system. The experience was a good one for the 12-year-old though and she liked the animal interaction and the Science museum for sure. The history museum needs to get Henrietta Lacks exhibit going. That would be great.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We roamed around a bit today during the arts festival. It was very nice but more signs would be nice.

NC mountains
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“So much, so close together!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

What a great area. There’s just about every kind of restaurant you could want; Thai, Cuban, Seafood, Ice Cream, Tex Mex, Cajun, and Chicken ‘n Waffles. Plus shops, museums, the Western Virginia Science Center, and The Hotel Roanoke are all within walking distance of each other. The parking deck near the tracks is where you’ll find the enclosed bridge over the tracks to get to The Hotel Roanoke and the O. Winston Link Museum. We felt safe and the area was clean. It’s the happenin’ place.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank h2olou

Been to Center in the Square? Share your experiences!