“Gordon Lightfoot concert”
Review of Berglund Center

Berglund Center
Ranked #22 of 74 things to do in Roanoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Western Virginia's premier full-service convention, exhibition and cultural complex, the center plays host to popular Broadway shows as well as big name music concerts.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I thought the venue was very good for the concert that I saw. I drove here just for the concert and stayed in a hotel across the street, so parking was not a problem for me. Didn't use the restroom, so I can't comment. It seemed to me that everything worked well. The staff was pleasant and answered all questions. The sound was very good and I had a great time.

All reviews
"plays"
"arts"
"garage"

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Parked at Elmwood Garage and rode the free shuttle bus to the venue. Friendly and helpful staff were nearby and eager to help locate seats. Seating was comfortable and the music was terrific!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I agree with other readers- the bathroom situation is horrible. I have been to quite a few events at the Civic Center over the years- in both the auditorium and the main coliseum part so I stories to back up my negative comments. The parking situation is not much better. If you do not get there early you will end up having to park in another lot and catch a bus that they provide- which means if you left something in your car you are in for a nightmare trying to go and retrieve it. They tend to book both venues at the same time so parking can be absolutely horrific. They have gone through my purse on each visit- but it didn't seem to slow down the line at all. The stairs and chairs in the coliseum part are scary. It is an old building and you can easily slip and fall down the stairs. The chairs are small, uncomfortable and do not give you very much leg room. I agree with other comments about the speaker system- it needs to be totally replaced. The auditorium is better suited for music and plays- but be very careful of where you choose your seat because you may end up having to sit at an angle in your chair in order to properly view the stage- and your sight could possibly be blocked - so pay attention to the seating charts very closely. There are a lot of stairs in both places- so be ready to exercise while trying to get to your seat. My advice- really study the seating charts and then call and talk to a person working at the civic center and ask THEIR advice on the best place to sit because they will know what areas are better than others. Just because the seat is a higher price doesn't mean you will hear or see better than a lower priced seat.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were not allowed to bring food or drink into the center. Our bags were checked. This was a sporting event whereby the athletes need to bring water and whatever snacks they need to keep energized. They wanted us to buy everything from their concession stands.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Saw Elton John at the Roanoke Civic Center in March of 2012. Sound was way to high and his voice was distorted at time because of it. The coliseum is not the place to see music acts. The auditorium is better suited for music. But, 99 out of 100 music acts go into the coliseum. It just wasn't made for music and we suffer because of it. It has been a problem there since I can remember, going to concerts there 20 plus years ago.
The second biggest problem is parking. There simply just isn't enough space for people to park there for an event. It doesn't help matters that they keep taking away parking for other buildings on the property. I've always said they need either a parking garage next to the coliseum or a pedestrian bridge over Orange Ave. taking people to a new parking lot in place of where the city was going to put an amphitheater at.
But unless you get there 3 or more hours ahead of a concert, you'll end up parking in downtown Roanoke and waiting forever for a shuttle bus to pick you up and drop you off. It only get's worse after the concert as then you have thousands of people and not enough shuttle buses.
If you can see a show in Greensboro, Va. Beach, Raleigh, Jiffy Lube Live in Northern Va., I suggest you do it. These places sound a lot better and I've never had to park off the lot to see a show either.

Been to Berglund Center? Share your experiences!