“Eh….”

Mill Mountain Star and Park
Ranked #1 of 69 things to do in Roanoke
More attraction details
Owner description: A "must see" on most visitors list, an 88-foot manmade star (the largest in the world) sits on majestic Mill Mountain along with a beautifully landscaped city park, that boasts hiking and biking trails, and a zoo.
New York City, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Eh….”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I think our hosts oversold the star, because when we reached the top we were shocked at how underwhelming it was. It did have a great view from the top though.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank YaniraRocks

• Korean first
Greensboro, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful View & Interesting Animals at the Zoo”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We visited Mill Mountain Star and Park in December. The view was beautiful from the overlooks, there are great walking trails, a very nice park for kids, and of course the star was interesting to see and read about. There appeared to be many other trails that we did not have the chance to walk on and plenty of picnic space. I would recommend going in the spring so the trails, park, and picnic areas could be fully utilized and enjoyed. We also visited the zoo. I loved seeing the snow leopards and red pandas because those are pretty exotic animals for a zoo in this area. I did feel the habitats needed a lot of updating and expansion. I didn't see many things to stimulate the animals. I am not an expert in the animal world, but compared to a lot of zoos I have visited (large and small) I really feel they need to invest or lobby for funds to expand and enhance the animal habitats. Other than that, it is a nice zoo. They have a train for the kids to ride around.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank proshopper112
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice view”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Great view of the city. Nice spot to let kids and dog get some energy out while walking around. Cold this time of year but will be back in spring.

Visited December 2013
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“We go out of our way to go”
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We are pretty new to the area. We always take visitors up there, but I always get turned around getting up there. Once I find it, it's always nice!

Roanoke, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The Star City”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

No trip to Roanoke is complete unless you visit the Mill Mountain Star. There is a quaint, small zoo next to it and when the weather is right the view is super.

Visited April 2013

Been to Mill Mountain Star and Park? Share your experiences!