“The Butterfly Garden and the Science Lab.”

Science Museum of Western Virginia & Hopkins Planetarium
Ranked #23 of 74 things to do in Roanoke
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun for the whole family, the Science Museum of Western Virginia features a tropical butterfly garden filled with butterflies from around the world; fun and interactive exhibits exploring Healthy Bodies, Healthy Earth and How It Works; live animals and the popular "FROGS"; the Living River & Touch Tank; and amazing traveling exhibits such as "TUTANKHAMUN: Wonderful Things From The Pharaoh's Tomb," running June 14-Dec. 31, 2014.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was a perfect outing for the 12-year old who was with me. The Butterfly Garden is charming, and the Lab was a great source of fun performing the experiments available with the lab tech. The City Market is just a few feet away from the Center in the Square, so we had so much fun combining the two things.

All reviews
"exhibits"
in 29 reviews
"coding"

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Last week my great grandchildren, ages 12,10, 8 and 6 were visiting and we went to the Science Museum and Butterfly Garden. They loved it and we ended up in the lab near closing time and the teen age volunteers very patiently helped them with the experiments.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Roanoke has done a great job bringing in all that is available at the Science Museum, good wholesome family fun and very Educational!

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

First of all, I'm from Roanoke so I visited the original museum with my son many times & I'm privy to the amount spent on the renovation so with that taken into consideration I think it was a very poor job done. The museum is very boring & extremely sparse. The most interesting part is the free aquariums in the 1st floor lobby, and the butterfly atrium. The cost is approx $15 for adults & $12 for kids which I find to be a total rip off. There is a touch tank which is fun but the exhibits are rather stale & unimpressive. I only hope that they are planning to add to this museum. I waited 2 yrs before I visited so that I could try to forget the old museum but was still sorely disappointed. The free parts of the building where the museum is housed are the most interesting.

1  Thank lovelylisa10
See more reviews
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Ok this museum is in need of funding. I still had a good time learning and taking in everything but they did have some exhibits that were not working. What I understood was that they had recently renovated but that the planetarium was out of service. Butterfly exhibit was neat but you did feel sorry for them you see a lot of them sitting at the window looking out. Rooftop garden was lacking color. Someone please give this center some money. We still made the best of it.

1  Thank tonsoffunManati
SciMuseumWesternVa, Public Relations Manager at Science Museum of Western Virginia & Hopkins Planetarium, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to review the Science Museum, and we regret that your experience was less than satisfying. During your visit, our exhibit floor was in a state of flux as we prepared to open "TUTANKHAMUN: Wonderful Things from the Pharaoh's Tomb" on June 14.

Concerning our planetarium, we decided to close it since the technology inside it has become out-dated. We are about to launch a capital campaign to bring it into the 21st century with a new digital projection system capable of broadcasting a wide array of science and nature programming.

We do hope you'll come back to visit us soon. Many thanks again.