“Clean, convenient, nice staff - but dated”

Colony House Motor Lodge
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Palm Beach, Florida
“Clean, convenient, nice staff - but dated”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were a group of motorcyclists traveling the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway ... two couples and one solo rider, so three rooms.

We were warmly greeted and the rooms were ready as expected since we arrived later in the day.

The motel shows it's age and the room's decor is a decade or two dated, although given the age, it was nice and clean.

Next time we do this ride we'll spend a bit more and stay somewhere with a more modern touch.

The price was inline for what we received ... it was a good value. And I always appreciate a friendly staff. If you are on a budget this is a nice choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank James S
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us, James. Your rating of 4 for Location, Sleep Quality, and Cleanliness as well as 5 for Value and Service, is quite a compliment! With your knowledge of the industry as outlined in your profile, I know you recognize the constant effort and hard work our staff produces to earn our guests’ respect.

Being just 2 miles from the Route 220 entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway, we attract travelers from all over. Your attached photo of your rides right outside the rooms concisely conveys their compliments of this advantageous parking. They tell us being able to park at their room provides an added level of security, safety, convenience, and peace of mind for their property, whether it is their pride and joy touring motorcycle, vintage automobile, exotic car, or the family vehicle full of personal possessions.

Since you rated us 5 for 5 in Value and Service, why pay more for just a "modern touch"? I hope y'all will come back and give us another chance to impress. Our “quaint step back in time” motor lodge and good old sincere Southern Hospitality will be waiting for you.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride.
Charles, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
McCormick, SC
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The review by Robert F B pretty well sums up this property. Room 401 was not good enough reach the economy motel level where you expect some dents, dings and scratches here and there. This situation was evident from floor to ceiling. The carpet is filthy with stains and spills over much of it. The louvered door have closures but they don't work. This mean unless you make it a point to close the door so that it doesn't slam shut, it will slam shut. We stayed 3 nights and unfortunately our neighbors let the door slam. Not good around the midnight hour. The TV is so old the picture was blurry and if you like Fox News it was no where to be found. The stopper in the vanity sink was closed when we arrived. The lever had disconnected. We informed management and the fix was a bent coffee stirrer wedged under the stopper to partially hold it open. It stayed this way for the 3 days. If you need shampoo, bring you own. This over 50 year old property is just plain worn out. The staff is very friendly but this cannot overcome the poor condition of the units. Hopefully the Colony House Motor Lodge will show up on "Hotel Impossible".

Room Tip: There are two levels to this motel, lower front and upper back. You can park in front of your room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank captmorgan40
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Captain Morgan, thank you for rating us above average for “Value”, “Sleep Quality”, and very high on our “Location”. The sink plunger has been repaired, but you didn't mention your room had two sinks, as most of our rooms do, and the other wasn't affected . I do apologize for any inconvenience, as that's never our intention.

That said, I am puzzled about your complaints of problems “floor to ceiling” and carpet “filthy with stains and spills”. The room had been recently repainted floor to ceiling including the ceiling and our inspection doesn't verify your complaints about the carpet. If you felt it was in such poor condition, I’m surprised you stayed there for three days and didn't request a room change. Our guests' happiness is important to us, so we would've happily found you a room that's just right.

I apologize for our inconsiderate guests who slammed their door. Such occurrences in the middle of the night can be very disruptive. Also, have you priced travel size toiletries? They are outrageous! So think what we would have to pay for even smaller bottles. Why should our guest pay for them if they aren’t needed? That is why, as stated on our folio, should you forget toiletries, they are available free at the front desk, and we can provide a better price to value experience.

Travel safe,
Wiehle, VA
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This place was recommended to me by a local friend down there whose aunt stayed here while convalesencing due to a broken ankle a while back. The exterior is quite well-maintained as one might expect. The inside? Read on...

An older gentleman at the front desk greeted me with an "I've been expecting you" when I identified myself as having a reservation. The check-in took an average amount of time.

While I was given cookies at the front desk, they were not hot. They were prepackaged. Speaking of food, when I asked the gentleman at the front desk if he could suggest a local barbecue restaurant, he would only suggest those in their mini-menu display. (None were barbecue, BTW...) Other than this, he was friendly, courteous, and helpful.

My room (403) had a mix of the good and not-so good. The louvered screen door is a nice touch. If it had a screen to keep out the bugs, it would be useful for ventilation. The heating & A/C unit was older and most of the lettering had been worn away, making it tough to operate. And, it was loud! The carpeting, while old, was obviously well-maintained. As for the TV... 1987 called and it wants its TV back. My TV got only half the channels listed on the guide card provided by the pizza chain. Near to the TV is a curiously placed electric outlet that isn't mounted in the wall, but rather on the wall, by the dressing area. Also, the room was dimly lit for the most part due to older design light bulbs. I had to open the drapes to be able to read! The only modern thing in the room was the "No Smoking" table tent on the table. On the plus side, the room was large and uncrowded with too much furniture for the available space, as is all too common today.

The most glaring thing that got me about the room are the sections of paint on the ceiling that look like they could fall down at any time and hit someone. Including someone asleep! Somebody really needs to take a look at that. By comparison, the cracks in the bathroom tile aren't that bad. I know that part of Virginia isn't far from where a strong earthquake occurred a couple of years ago. So, fixing something like that might be done in the future. But, the peeling sections of ceiling paint? That needs to be looked at really soon.

As for breakfast... I don't know what continent the term "continental breakfast" originated from. But, I'd have to venture to say that they are unhealthy (carb rich with the pastries), weak and tire easily (because of the absence of protein and the serving sizes), and would be easily conquered by a better-fed force. In the case of Colony House, while the food was average, the serving area was tiny! And, unlike some places with this situation which encourage the guests to take the food back to their room for eating, the Colony House forbids this practice, citing that this is "due to the increased cost of food". Signs like this reek of a cheapness that, fortunately, I've rarely seen in my travels. The sign in my room reminding that low rates are possible in part due to reduced energy consumption were innocuous by comparison.

Check out was as fast and as courteous as the check-in.

I found on my visit that Roanoke is not that bad of a city that I might want to visit again. Will I stay here again?

Good question! Pity the facility isn't of the standard of the people who work there!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you very much for the feedback and your 4-star rating, Robert. It was a pleasure hosting you, and I'm glad you found the people here to be so friendly. I'll make sure the whole team reads this, as well.

As for the "shortcomings," I appreciate you letting me know about them. It is always good to see where we can improve. Painting, as you might imagine, is a continuous task that occupies most of the time of one of our maintenance staff. It is always helpful for guest to notify us when something needs to be moved up on the list.

As four our cookies, Otis Spunkmeyer premixes the cookie dough and we prepare them fresh daily. Aren’t they delicious! They remind my wife of growing up in Roanoke and visiting her Grandma who always had fresh cookies for her.

If you do ever make it back to Roanoke, we’d love the opportunity to welcome you again. I know we can really impress you.

Sterling, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Our nephew graduated VT May 17th and we started looking for a room in January. Everything was either booked or the rate was "jacked up" for a standard hotel room just because of graduation. We decided to check Roanoke being that it was only 30 miles North of Blacksburg. Again the area was either booked or over-priced. I came across Colony House Motor Lodge and decided to check it out for availability and price. The pictures represent the quality of the motel and it truly is a blast from the past. I focused on the positive remarks made by other traveler's hoping that it would be a nice, clean, and affordable. IT WAS - we were pleasantly surprised and happy. After hearing horror stories from other family members in "brand" named hotels we consider ourselves very lucky. If you are on the fence about booking a stay - go for it - you won't be disappointed for the location and price. I also liked the comment made by the woman that checked us out that it has been family owned since 1957 and they were celebrating a 30 year anniversary of one of their house cleaning personnel! That speaks volumes for the Colony House management of how much they must take care of their employees. If we ever find our way back to Roanoke, I know where we will stay. Thanks, JaM

Room Tip: Lower King Rooms across from pool. Convenient to Ice/Vending machines. Great security. Close to Waf...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank JaM W
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Your support sure does mean a lot! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing recommendation for us. I also want to send a big congratulations to your nephew! Virginia Tech is such a great school and graduation is a truly memorable and inspiring time.

At the end of the day, our customer's happiness is what's most important, so your kind words are truly heartwarming. I look forward to sharing your compliments with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back. Don't be a stranger!

Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Was going down to the area for nephew's graduation from Va Tech. Everything in Blacksburg, Christiansburg was expensive and 2 or 3 night minimum. My sister found Colony House online and booked us each a king room. After reading the reviews from here, I'll have to admit I was a bit leery, but I see the owner responds to every review and that is what changed my mind.

Yes the place is older but our rooms were very clean. Yes they have older TVs but ours worked perfectly with tons of channels. Love the old feel to the place and I bet back in the day...this was one really nice place to stay. Wait it was nice in 2014 too. Not sure what an extra $100 a night would have gotten us elsewhere that we didn't have this past weekend.

The desk clerk at check-in, very helpful and yes, you know you remember us!!

The desk clerk at check-out, super friendly and very nice!!

We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a king, lower level Front. Back right up to the door!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank smunster70433
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share such a thoughtful, detailed recommendation for us here on TripAdvisor! It means the world to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass your many compliments along to the team. Next time you find yourself in Roanoke, I hope you'll keep us in mind! Our door's always open.

Sanford, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Arrived to a room we had not reserved. Reserved a king and were given 2 doubles, even after a call from booking.com assuring me they had spoke directly to the owner and assured us it was a king.

Pulled around to the rear of the motel to a pitch black lot at the time we checked in. Had to get out of vehicle to check room numbers.

Went to take a shower and took a towel off rack to have dead bugs fall out onto the toilet seat. Used a t-shirt to dry off and refused to sleep under bed linens.

Left at 6AM to get out of the room.

Room Tip: Do not stay here unless you just don't care where you sleep
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Fuelman8
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
I'm terribly sorry to hear this, and I assure you this isn't the norm for us. I hope you communicated to the desk that you felt you were given the wrong room, and I'll certainly look into this feedback with the staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues, and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to impress you in the future.

Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 4, 2014

and so easy to find! Less than 1/2 mile off of Rt 220, with nearby restaurants and a large mall right up the road. I just spent 2 nights (my third stay in two years) at Colony House and am still thoroughly satisfied with the cleanliness of the rooms, and location. The staff was welcoming, prompt and helpful with extra amenities. (I'd forgotten my hairdryer, and also misplaced my toothbrush). Both were provided with no qualms.
I highly recommend Colony House Motor Lodge to anyone visiting Roanoke! I know I'll be back again.
J. Young

Room Tip: The back side of the motel is very quiet, as it's away from the road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jennifer Y
Charles E, Owner at Colony House Motor Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Jennifer, thank you for your kind comments. Our staff works hard and is proud of their professionalism and will be pleased that it shows. We are very fortunate that our family chose this excellent location in 1958. What foresight! Loyal customers such as yourself are very important to us and we look forward to serving you again soon.