“way below average”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Roanoke, Virginia
“way below average”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had my first authentic Cuban food in Miami couple years ago, and I absolutely fell in love with Cuban food since then. I won't consider myself as an expert on Cuban food, but I was very eager to find a good Cuban restaurant. This restaurant was such a huge disappointment. I had pulled pork- it was simply wrong. No authentic flavor whatsoever (all I can taste is salt and some generic flavoring). The meat (pulled-pork) was served fairly dry ("no sauce") and I was told to use their sauce in a bottle (placed in every table, I think). The portion of meat I had was covered with a big piece of fatty tissue- not a typical pork fat (which I enjoy to eat) that you would see in pork belly, for example, it was just a huge blob of fat that is absolutely not worthy of serving to your customer). Fried (sweet) plantains were below average, and fried green plantains were just so bland and dry. I will not go back here. But more than that, I am just so disappointed about the carelessness of a cook/chef to serve food like that.

• Visited August 2013

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
“Dining & Drinking From Atop A Bongo Drum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great Cuban-like atmosphere. Loved the bongo drum seating at the bar. Great Mojitos. A very good place for a refreshing change of venue. The food is good to above average; depending on what you order. The grilled chicken salad was better than most places. Most menu items are a lot like like American Key West entries with Cuban naming. Has decent, outdoor sidewalk dining.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank T-Bone_Steaks
Roanoke, Virginia
“OK Food - Great Cuban Coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

The two of us stopped for an early evening dinner on Saturday and seated ourselves at an outdoor table; it was a great place for watching the many people enjoying some rain free time downtown. Since the people watching occupied our time, we did not mind the 15 minutes it took to be waited on. The highlight was the Cuban Coffee; dark, rich, and sweet; too bad it doesn't come in a full-sized cup - then again, that might be too much of a good thing. Our order from the dinner menu of Cuban Style Roast Pork arrived with sweet plantains, black beans and rice, and yuca. The plantains were a hit; full flavored. The beans and rice, and yuca were quite bland; much more so than expected. Strangely, the Roast Pork, in spite of the menu description about being marinated, was also quite bland. However, what the food lacked in flavor, was offset by the large quantity. The prices seemed a bit high for average food quality.

• Visited July 2013
“Cuban Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place is one of those places that have recently become a place to visit, they have succulent Cuban food their pork, rice and beans are just perfect, they also have live salsa bands, like latin clave, which are phenomenal, they make the atmosphere of the restaurant that of a fun latin party, their drinks are good, they make tasty mojitos. During lunch time they have freshly squeezed orage juice with their tortas (sandwiches) which satisfy me every time.

Visited June 2013
Western Australia, Australia
“Lovely restaurant in downtown Roanoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was a lovely evening at the Habana Cafe in Roanoke Virginia. The Cuban food was simple but very tasty and well balanced and the service was excellent. Prices were fair. I look forward to going there again next time I am in Roanoke.

• Visited June 2013