“Authentic - Cuban”

Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stopped in for lunch while in Roanoke on business. The aromas from the kitchen told me I chose the right place. The waitress was sweet, knowledgeable and passionate about the food.

I had the Ropa Vieja - shredded beef in Creole tomato sauce with peppers and onions, with black beans and rice and Tostones De Platano. It was delicious! The waitress said that at night the place is packed, so hopefully next time I'm there on business I'll stay over. I'm already thinking about what I'll have next time I visit Habana Cafe.
FFN

Reviewed May 6, 2012

A very pleasant suprise in Roanoke. Great food, lively atmosphere and friendly staff. Had the Pork Roast with black beans and rice and it was spot on. Finished the night with a cuban coffee. Didnt expect to find that in Roanoke.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I love this place. The outdoor seating and beautifully tiled dining room/bar are great. There is a nice vibe and the food is great. I am so happy to find cerviche in Roanoke. It's herby (is that a word??), lemon/limey and fresh. My family also loves the Cerdo Asada, aka marinated pork. It's extremely moist and melts in your mouth. The bar scene is also very nice. . . people having fun in a civilized manner. BTW, we went with a vegetarian and a self proclaimed "picky eater." Both found good food and had a great time. No better place to be on a beautiful Roanoke day than overlooking the beautiful outdoor farmer's market and having good food and drink.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Great food! Just like Miami at half the price. I don't understand the negative reviews, maybe some people just aren't used to the style of food. As for us, we're very impressed and ready to go back.

1  Thank Zach G
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I tried Habana Cafe in Roanoke, VA for dinner. They have wonderful outdoor seating that is perfect when the weather is nice. Things started off bumpy, as no one would wait on us. I think we waited about 10 minutes before I finally approached someone and asked for a menu and a waitress. They apologized and someone was with us shortly. They have nice bottles of wine for just $18, which was great! They also have quite a big menu with several interesting choices. We ordered the special of the day for $14. It was a paella that had various meats in it, and it came with 3 sides.

We ordered plantains, mashed potatoes, and black bean soup as our sides. All were just "ho hum" and nothing to write home about. The paella came to the table on a plate and was a bit more watery than it should have been. Traditional paella is usually cooked for hours and hours, and isn't served on a plate where it gets scattered everywhere. Basically, we were disappointed in it. The flavor was good, but it simply tasted like they had just whipped it up in the kitchen and hadn't put much thought into it.

Overall, we had a pleasant time, but none of the food "wowed" us like it does in the Keys. I really liked how they played Latin music, and how everything was decorated. The bathroom was really cool, and the interior was well done. Maybe they'll tweak some recipes and try a bit harder to please. We'll return and try it again, maybe for lunch this time.