“Great pizza”

Dining options: Reservations
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great pizza”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

After going to Sal's once before when it first opened and not being impressed, we decided to give the restaurant one more chance. We were in the mood for pizza, and since we thought the bread was the best part of our previous meal at Sal's, we decided to get a pizza. I had also seen a person carrying out a pizza from Sal's the week before, as I waited in the parking lot for my husband to pick up our pizza at Domino's. So, I figured maybe Sal's has improved and we should give it another chance. I am glad we did. My husband and I ordered the 16 in Sicilian with pepperoni. A Sicilian is basically a square deep dish pizza. I have nothing but good things to say about the pizza. It was large, over 1 in deep, had fresh marinara sauce with bits of fresh basil and crispy pepperoni, and yes, the crust was delicious. For one 16" Sicilian Pepperoni pizza and 2 waters, our bill came to about $17. While the pizza was amazing, I do feel that it was slightly overpriced. The restaurant was clean and decorated as you would expect from a strip mall restaurant. The waiter was very friendly and the service was prompt. All in all, the pizza was great and I would recommend it.

• Visited March 2013

Virginia
“Took a chance and loved it”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Garlic Knots are definitely to die for and a must. We ended up ordering a second batch to go. We also were timid of trying yet another strip mall restaurant and very pleasantly surprised and happy. We were seated almost immediately but must have gotten there just before the crowd because seconds after we sat down there was a line waiting out the door.

My hubs had a basic meat lovers pizza and was very happy with it, I had a pink sauce pasta and not only was it awesome but there was loads of it so I was able to take leftovers home to my daughter (it didn't last long).

The house salad is larger than most and I noted the blue cheese dressing was made from scratch and not from a bottle (very tasty).

We did not have dessert, we were way to full.

Service is spot on.

Value A++
Quality A++
Service A++

I definitely recommend this restaurant but if you get there during regular dinner hours, be prepared to wait for a table.

One other thing we noticed is that when warmer weather arrives, if you choose to sit outside on their patio make sure you know it is right next to the dumpster area and may not be the greatest.

• Visited February 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
“Excellent Food, Fair Service”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Visiting relatives in the area, they suggested Sal's...It was a great recommendation!

We opted to pass on appetizers, although several sounded good. Most entrees include a salad, which was a very typical house salad...But everything was fresh and the portion was generous.

They brought these garlic knots...Which were to die for. All of our dinners were fantastic. I had shrimp scampi, which I ordered with extra garlic...It did not disappoint. They really piled it on for me. My wife's chicken parm was great--she loved the marinara sauce.

The service was very friendly...But forgetful and slow. It took 3 requests to get a drink refill, and even more requests to get more garlic knots. We really wanted more garlic knots because the house bread was not very good at all.

Nonetheless, prices were very reasonable for the quality, and the food was phenomenal...we'll definitely go back and hope the service is a little more polished next time!

Roanoke, Virginia
“Yummy!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The food was delicious! The garlic knots are good but we could have used more for our table. The fettuccini Alfredo was better than Olive Garden's. The pizza was average. The penne a la vodka was very good my wife says. Great place to go for a romantic dinner but not so great for kids under the age of ten. The service was average but the wait staff were friendly and nice. We went there and it was very busy. The wait for a table was good for a Saturday evening. We waited about ten minutes or so. Nice atmosphere.

Virginia
“Garlic knots are good”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I think the food is typical mom and pop Italian but I like it. It's a tad overpriced but I don't mind since it's a family owned business. The garlic knots are ridiculously good. I will return

Visited November 2012