“Try Some Thai”

Thai Continental Cuisine
Ranked #124 of 510 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Thai Continental Cuisine is located in downtown Roanoke on Market Street, right across from the newly re-opened City Market Building. There's nothing flashy about the entrance and they don't really advertise, but don't let the exterior or lack of a marketing plan deceive you. The interior of the restaurant is very clean and the staff, who all appeared to be Asian, seem intent on creating an enjoyable experience by serving great Thai food. It's the type of place where your waiter might not speak in perfect English, which gives you confidence in the authenticity of the food.

When we arrived for lunch around noon, there were a few open tables but the restaurant quickly filled up. It's obvious this is a very popular weekday lunch spot for all the people who work downtown. They offer a good variety of lunch entrees along with their regular entrees, soups, salads, appetizers, etc. and most of the lunch entrees are priced around $7-$9. All the entrees are also served with a small salad, making the price and value very reasonable. To start the meal, we ordered the pork dumplings as an appetizer. One twist I liked about the dumplings was the addition of fresh cilantro, which added another layer of flavor I wasn't expecting. While I had a tough time choosing my entree, I decided to order the Drunken Noodles with chicken - and I requested the dish be prepared with a mild amount of spice/heat. This dish was great! It was loaded with chicken and fresh vegetables (peppers, onions, tomatoes) and the Thai rice noodles were cooked perfectly. There was a good amount of spice, but not so much that I was unable to taste the rest of the ingredients. I'd highly recommend this dish, especially to someone who might be unfamiliar with Thai cuisine.

My only complaint about eating at Thai Continental Cuisine would be the amount of time it took us to eat there. As I mentioned, we arrived at noon and had a tough time making it out before 1pm. Although the servers were friendly, it took them a while to get our orders and our entrees seemed to be pretty slow getting to our table. I'm all about having freshly prepared food, but most downtown restaurants are really good about being able to move tables through in under an hour, which people need so they can get back to work. I'd think Thai Continental would be no different and we just happened to catch them on a slower day. It definitely wouldn't keep me from going back.

1  Thank FromBallparkstoBBQ

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I try to go there once a week. The vegetables are always fresh and the food is made to order. They will customize your order to be as spicy as you want or not spicy at all. We haven't had a bad meal there. The service is excellent.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This place is really authentic. It took me back to Bangkok. The taste of the food and spices are very original.

Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

So we were driving thru town on a long family trip and kids were excited about Thai. Although it was a Saturday night, the restaurant wasn't very busy. We ordered some spring rolls and pad Thai to go - asked for mild and watched him put that into the register. Waited for what seemed a long time. Got our food, hopped on the car, and 20 mins down the road, the food cooled off enough to try the spiciest pad Thai I've ever had. Family stopped at subway instead...real bummer.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

My wife and I discovered Thai Continental while in the market square area of Roanoke. The atmosphere is ok but the food is wonderful and reasonable. Duck is hard to come by in this part of Virginia but they have it in a delcious honey ginger sauce. When we were there I left my credit card on the table. I did not notice it until the next day. Luckily they found it and we picked it up the next day. Very good and honest service. Want great Thai they can't be beat.