“Unexpected surprises”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Unexpected surprises”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We needed to walk and this museum was within walking distance to our hotel. The first surprise was that it is free! The subsequent surprises occurred as we viewed the beautiful art: not everything can be photographed, but one particular collection that would appeal to the ladies who love purses and jewels, was Judith Leiber's collection of bags made out of beautiful jewels and Swarovsky crystal... Breathtaking! A few other surprises entailed works by very renowned artists which we did not anticipate seeing anywhere outside Paris or D.C. What a great find!

Deerfield, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Gem in Roanoke”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

On a recent visit to Roanoke with "girlfriends," we were taken to the Taubman Museum of Art. What a gem! It is a beautiful place with wonderful exhibits -AND- a tour guide who was fabulous, entertaining, knowledgable and obviously LOVED her job. Although there were no children in our group, I checked out the art playroom--a fabulous area for children to create and have fun. A beautiful gift shop was another bonus. A definite Roanoke MUST-SEE!

Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic tour”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

On a recent visit to Roanoke , I had the pleasure of visiting the Taubman Museum of Art. It was a wonderful experience. We were treated to a personal tour by a most informative and entertaining guide. The tour was informative and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this museum as a must- see on a trip to the area.

Moneta, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great museum in a small town”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I'm from Chicago. I know the Art Institute. It was wonderful to visit, but when I did go there, I visited specific exhibits - never the whole place!!

What a surprise to visit the Taubman in Roanoke and find a variety of exhibits to study. Once I saw a traveling Rembrandt exhibit. This week there was an exhibit from the New York Historical Society! Fabulous! I love being able to spend time learning and reading about the works of art and knowing I could return and see a different exhibit. I am also impressed with the variety of programs they have for all ages. I highly recommend this museum to everyone!

Roanoke, Virginia
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Solid Art Exploration for Kids”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Great art museum for kids. Features changing exhibit galleries upstairs that typically include contemporary and more traditional pieces of art, which can make for good discussion with the family. Art Venture, a massive "art playroom" downstairs, is well-stocked with brainy toys and art supplies--such a AWESOME play space for kids of many ages, particularly preschool through young teens. Small gift shop and cafe on site. Thanks to Advance Auto, admission is free all the time--a great deal. If you are visiting for a short period of time (2 hours or less), there is nearby free parking in the market street surface lot provided each day by the city of Roanoke--parking on weekends is free in city lots/garages. Check the website to plan your visit; Saturdays often feature fun family events. So why not five stars? I've made many visits to the museum--and I've never felt particularly welcomed by the museum staff other than the security guards, who are always friendly. I've introduced myself as a local educator to staff before--and they've seemed disinterested.

Visited March 2014

Been to Taubman Museum of Art? Share your experiences!