WINNER WONDERLAND

Blacksburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great surprise -- go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Honestly, I just went for the building, and the building alone is worth a visit. Although it is somewhat squished between the railroad tracks and two major roads, this building is fascinating, from the inside as well as from the outside. But inside, the big surprise (I had just returned from NYC, so I was a bit spoiled): Six exhibits and some nice pieces from the collection. The most stunning exhibit for me was Ed Burtynsky, Oil, an exhibit that has toured half of the world (Canada, Berlin, Stockholm, etc.), with very strong, large scale photographs, graphic style that abstracts much of the emotion that could be in the pictures. Than the Faberge collection of the Hodges Family, a great collection of many wonderful and really artistic creations; everybody who likes the more applied arts should see that. Harold Little's pictures of the various Virginian Landscapes were inspiring, Unusual Folk Art was touching, and Anne Ferrer's Hot Pink inflated sculture is a wonderful peace of French Art that fits right into the Museum Atrium. Everything is very well kept, the brochures are informative, and despite of the many exhibits, there is enough open space to relax from all the impressions. Excellent. Wish them many visitors, they really deserve it!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank BarbaraR766

Virginia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“My mom said that if I have nothing good to say....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place just misses the mark. Too much empty, open, unused space and the exhibits they get are just...well...terrible (and I love art!). I wanted to support this place. I wanted Roanoke to be more than just a railroad town...but yeah...this place is not worth the very expensive entrance fee. Better museums...world class museums (such as the Philadelphia Art Museum) are cheaper and offer amazing exhibits such as Renoir, Degas, Dali, etc.

Visited December 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Well done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Several very intersting galleries, both the permanent and changing exhibits. Stunning building. As a bonus, it was free!

Lynchburg
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not a fan here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

First, it must be said that I am not a big lover of art. I can enjoy a good sculpture or painting, but beyond that I can take it or leave it. The location of the museum is convenient in downtown and close to many other things to do and see, and the building is something to be seen, but overall it was a boring 45-minute visit for me. There was just nothing to hold my attention. Lots of empty space and not much art. Disappointing considering how much money the thing cost to build, and how wildly out of place the architecture is in Roanoke. The art museum is a polarizing topic in this city for sure.

Roanoke, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Museums are NOT supposed to be so NOISY!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Since the admissions have been lifted I expected it would be crowded but I went for a special exhibit of Harold Little, an artist friend of mine who died last year. His exposition was in a TINY gallery but there was an annoying theatrical guy guide there who made the experience unbearable by nearly yelling out the "interesting influences of Harold's artwork" in that little studio---I didn't ask for, nor did I want an interpretation. He then announced he was moving to the atrium area to sing a song, at which time he'd already lost me & my companion---we just wanted him gone. His theatrical booming voice in that small space only detracted from the experience of Harold's art; the acoustics made it unbearable. When did it get to be that going to a museum could no longer mean a quiet and private time of reflection and appreciation?

1 Thank karentdesign

Been to Taubman Museum of Art? Share your experiences!