“Beautiful Food..Comfortable Setting..Wonderful Staff”
Review of Local Roots

Local Roots
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Roots is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 491 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Memorial Ave
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Kale Salad: Imaginative full of delightful & surprising textures and flavors…. Just get it.

House made fettuccine…. some of the best house made pasta period… work of art. Locovore nirvana.

Striped Bass on Golden Rice with braised vegetables….. recommended by our server as what she would order if dining there tonight….. outrageous composed bites… worked perfectly with Bourgeois Sancerre. My apologies if she went hungry.

We had a great meal in a very unpretentious place that was one of our best meals on a 3 week culinary spin.

Highly recommended. So glad we made the effort to find this gem of a place!

1  Thank FondriestX

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Local Roots is the place for locally grown sustainable fare. I had a baby spinach salad with Asian pear, micro greens and miniature pansies as garnish. It was dusted with a local blue cheese that had been frozen and smashed --innovative! The gnocchi Bolognese with roasted sweet potato featured a blend of local beef, pork and bison --again flavorful and innovative. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Used silver was replaced. The room is a warmly decorated storefront done with lots of blonde wood, very clean. Nice selection of regional microbrews. My third visit, definitely a keeper!

Diane E, Owner at Local Roots, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear burl beach, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Local Roots - a Farm to Table Restaurant. Of course, we are so glad you had an excellent experience. The kale salad is a new menu item for us and is proving to be very popular. The bread pudding has become a signature dish and changes according to the fruit we can get in season. Please do come back and see us and see what is new on the menu. Thank you again.
All the best, Diane Elliot, Owner

Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is an outstanding restaurant! The food is prepared with fresh, local ingredients and prepared in a delicious and creative way. The kale salad is just about the best salad I have ever eaten and my husband gave the bread pudding rave reviews. We will definitely try to return for another delicious meal.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We LOVE this place! The Grandin Area is up and coming and this restaurant perfectly personifies quality.
Wonderful service, quaint environment and the most amazing food!
They pair local foods with classy recipes and the combination is irresistible!
We love the mismosas and the ever-changing menu.
Last week was an amazing burger topped with a local egg and pimento cheese and sweet French toast with apples and creamy topping.
Try it and you will love it!!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I went here for my boyfriend's birthday dinner on a roadtrip to Roanoke. It was exactly what we were looking for. Lots of restaurants like to be for "foodies", but this is the real deal. Plus, the menu is creative, original and unique. And you feel good spending your money at a "S.O.L.E." establishment. First off...ginger bourbon something cocktail. Yes! For entree, I typically don't order steak, but did because this had peanut sauce, coffee and rutabaga potatoes with it...in a WAY more appealing combo than I just described. The crispy kale salad with(romano?) cheese ice cream was out of this world. And my boyfriend ordered the charcuterie plate, which typically, I nibble at..but this was AMAZING. The meats, extras...could have ordered 3 of these! Our waitress was friendly. When we mentioned we were looking for mountain biking tips, she sent the bartender over who clearly knew his stuff and had great recommendations for where to go in Roanoke, biking and nightlife. They gave an amazing dessert for my man's birthday and had a very decent selection of bottled wine (my boyfriend owns a wine shop and can be a bit picky)...but they gave us some BTG selections off menu that made him happy. Overall, wish we had something like this in our hometown...tired of places claiming to be original and local, but then find the same "lobster mac and cheese" unoriginal blah-ness. Not at local roots! Get there!