“Gourmet, local-sourced food”
Review of Local Roots

Local Roots
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Roots is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 485 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Memorial Ave
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Beaautifully renovated dining room, eccentric, delicious, variety of dishes on the menu, great beer on tap, and friendly, gracious service. Medium price range.

Reviewed May 7, 2011

If you appreciate a restaurant that buys local, highest quality items and creatively combines them to serve you a fascinating meal, here's your spot. We were all just delighted to find this gem in Roanoke yesterday. Beet salad was roasted beets, beet sorbet, pickled beets, beet strips, atop beet greens, all balanced beautifully by chopped walnuts and also frozen goat cheese. I could go on about the brillance of the entrees and the desserts, but then you wouldnt have the magical experience we six did. If you watch Top Chef and keep saying'wow, thats cool!' to the TV, then this is your place.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

My wife and I dined here on a recent Saturday with friends. We decided on this restaurant based on their web site which advertised that evening as prime rib night. Wrong! No prime rib. When I asked our waiter about it he said not to trust the web site. Then why do they have one! Anyway, after that dissapointment let me move on. The decor and ambiance of Local Roots is on a par with several other good Roanoke restaurants. Tables are not too close together, and the booths (which we shared with our friends) made dinner conversation easier than in other noisier settings.

We shared the scallop appetizers, which were very good as other reviewers have commented. I thought they were slightly undercooked, but the sauce was excellent. Two of our party had the trout which they raved about. A third had the lamb which he said was very good. In the absence of the prime rib I decided to splurge and ordered the expensive ($34) rib eye steak. Bad choice! I should have been wary when the waiter informed me that it was grass fed. Well, it was so lean as to be called "tough" even though I ordered it medium rare. If this is what the establishment is gettting as "local" meat then I suggest they look elsewhere. To be honest, I felt that the entree menu was somewhat lacking, both in number of dishes offered and in interest level.
Other aspects of the meal were very good. The wine list is fairly good with some decent selections that are not overly expensive. Our group had the creme brulee for dessert which was excellent. The service was good, although our waiter got pretty stretched as the evening wore on. All in all the experience was positive and we would go back.

1  Thank retiredvaprof
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Great place. Benn here several times and the food and service never disappoint.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

Perfection. We were visiting Roanoke for a long weekend. Went for Sunday brunch. Scallops Benedict - delicious!