“Elegant and Easygoing”
Review of King George Inn

King George Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Roanoke B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Elegant and Easygoing! My husband and I just got back from spending a wonderful weekend at the King George Inn. The owners, Jim and Lynn Hunt, made us feel welcome right away! The Inn is absolutely beautiful, but unpretentious. Every room is designed for comfort, as well as filled with elegance and charm. Jim and Lynn are so friendly and kind, they made us feel like family! We were down visiting our son at Virginia Tech, which is only about 40 minutes from Roanoke. When we brought him back to the Inn, the first thing I noticed was the smell of homemade brownies! After a quick snack (my son had 2 brownies, under Lynn’s urging), Jim and Lynn recommended a restaurant in the neighborhood called the “Wildflour”. It is in walking distance from the Inn, and the food there was delicious! It was one of the many highlights of the trip! Breakfast was fabulous, of course! Every dish was thoughtfully planned, and filled with flavor. The dining room is family style, which provided all of the guests the opportunity to share a little of themselves. This weekend we discovered we all had lived in New Jersey at one time or another! The second night we all settled in the living room with a glass of wine to watch a Bette Davis movie on TCM. It felt like home! After another fantastic breakfast, coffee and conversation with Jim and Lynn, it was time for us to head back North! We will be back again, not only for the food and beautiful accommodations, but especially for the friendliness and warmth that Jim and Lynn shared with us.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calamity J

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The website does little justice to this lovely circa 1900 home. The rooms are very large and very well appointed with antique furnishings, the common rooms likewise, elegantly appointed. Our family stayed in 2 rooms, the Elizabeth for our 2 teenage boys (a double bed each) and the King George for my wife and I, lovely king sized extremely comfortable bed.
Breakfast is excellent and our hosts Jim and Lynn could not be friendlier.
The Inn is in the south-west historic district about a 15 minute walk into town.
Overall a luxurious stay for a very reasonable tariff, an ideal stop-over between Asheville and DC.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FinB
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband, myself, and another couple, stayed in the King George Inn Saturday 3/31/12 for one night. What a wonderful surprise. Jim and Lynn were wonderful. They welcomed us in right away, showed us to our rooms, and made us feel right at home. Lynn sat out front with us for a while and chatted about the area.

The Inn is immaculate. It's beautifully decorated and HUGE! Our room, The King George Room, had a king-sized bed that was very comfy. The windows were big and let in a lot of light. Outside our room was a sitting area for all the rooms. We peeked in all the rooms and they were all beautifully decorated.

The bathroom was large and we had a lot of hot water. The towels were really, really soft!

Lynn made an incredible breakfast. Just when we thought breakfast was done, she'd bring more food. You will not leave hungry, that's for sure. Between the fruits, yogurt, pancakes, meats, eggs, hashbrowns, coffee, and juice...we were stuffed!

We've stayed in quite a few B and B's...this is definitely one that deserves 5 stars. I will most definitely stay there again while in Roanoke.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful. The King George room has a king bed. I believe two of the rooms have qu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2bamom3
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Last minute trip, all hotels full and I'm so glad they were! I found the King George Inn! Jim and Lynn were so accommodating. I arrived a little early, no problem. They assisted with my luggage and made me verybcomfortablento settle in and finish some work. Lynn even baked and served me some homemade chocolate chip cookies! I will certainly go back when I travel to Roanoke again. The breakfast was fabulous! The house so clean. Just an all-around wonderful experience!

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Jim and Lynn are really good at this job. They could not be friendlier or more attentive. Lynn was concerned about my cough and laryngitis when we first arrived and made me a special cup of tea. Guests remember things like that. The inn is beyond beautiful, the room spacious, and the bed really comfortalbe, Breakfast was elegant and very, very delicious. We've stayed at many B&B's but none prettier. This was a return visit for us. When we were passing through Roanoke on our way home we knew exactly where we wanted to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Got into Roanoke late and found The King George by calling around to B&Bs. Jim and Lynn are wonderful. Made us feel totally welcome, called the restaurant for us, helped with luggage and knew just how to help us settle in. The room was charming with a big old bathtub and comfy poster bed. Old southern charm and WIFI! The morning meal was incredible and beautiful. Although we were in a hurry to get on the road we couldn't help staying a while to chat with our hosts. One of the highlights of our vacation and totally unplanned A great surprise! We spent a good deal of time in the car the next day talking about making a trip back to Roanoke just to visit with Jim and Lynn again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David N
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed overnight at this B&B. We have stayed at many B&B's and this one is by far the most romantic, friendly and comfortable. This was our second stay. I usually wait to the second trip to write a review to see if they are consistant. They are! We had such a good time and the food was great. I enjoyed the keepers company more than my own families. We will be back to visit soon. Roanoke is a fun place to visit. The inn is very close to downtown.

Room Tip: all rooms are great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple