“Very convenient to Carilion Memorial Hospital”

Cambria Hotel & Suites
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We appreciate having a hotel of this quality so close to the hospital. We were in town for an extended stay and often the quality of the hotels in and around a hospital are very poor as they take advantage of their captive audience. The Cambria Suites is an excellent choice for a hotel when in Roanoke. We stayed a couple of nights out by the airport at another hotel but the Cambria was superior to that hotel in almost every way. The room we stayed in had two double beds and a pull out queen couch. The beds were very comfortable; unfortunately the pull out mattress is pretty poor. The bathroom is very nicely decorated and the room has a small bar counter with refrigerator and microwave. The desk offers several convenient electrical outlets and there is free wifi in the hotel with a simple sign in process. Parking is in a deck below the hotel or you can park in the adjacent lot. There is a park with walking/bike trails and fields directly adjacent to the hotel and it is a good spot for a walk or run. The hotel has a laundry with washer and dryer but the dryer takes two cycles to fully dry a load of clothing. The cookies in the bar restaurant are wonderful.

Room Tip: The rooms have PTAC air conditioners which can be pretty loud. There really is not a view in the are...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
LynneLaidlaw, General Manager at Cambria Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Glad that you enjoyed the cookies and your stay! thank you for the pictures too!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travel quite a bit, and have no problem pointing out hotel issues/deficiencies.... I was very happy with every aspect of my recent stay at Cambria Suites. The Hotel is relatively new, so everything is in great shape. I worked out in the fitness center. 5 star for any hotel, at any price. The pool is relatively small, but my kids had a great time in it. The hot tub was perfect for after workout.
My room was large enough and everything was in order. I had a light go out over the tub, the front Desk staff contacted a staffer, it was fixed quickly. The Front Desk Staff was 100% helpful, courteous and professional. Kudos to Nikki, she was the shining star. The Bar Staff and Breakfast Buffet staff were fast, professional and friendly. They actually made each member of our conference feel appreciated and welcome.
Good job, Cambria Suites, Roanoke. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Roanoke Area.

Room Tip: I am staying again in January. Will know more about room selection then. I asked for a 1st floor r...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your kind words! January is here and I await your next post! Nikki is still a shining star!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Nice room, great bed, fluffy towels, quiet...all the things you expect in this price range. But, as a new Choice Hotels Priviledges member, we had become accustomed to free breakfast at the Choice group hotels. This was our first stay at a Cambria Suites. We were surprised when the hostess brought us a ticket for $20 after eating the same basic buffet breakfast we'd had at the other hotels. We were quickly reminded never to assume...!!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob K

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast. We try to make it clear that breakfast is not included as many travelers expect it to be.

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We had an excellent experience here from check in to check out! The girls at the front desk were all extremely helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious and modern. Very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and i didnt here any noise throughout the night. The bathroom was big and clean. We ordered room service and tge food was alright. The prices were so cheao we didnt mind. I would highly recommend this hotel and wish we had an excuse to stay another night!

• Stayed: September 2012

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the pictures and I hope that you choose us when your travels bring you back to Roanoke!

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

We were there for a brief trip, this was our 2nd stay at this hotel in this city. The staff gave us incorrect information at check in, we got that straight only to find out the housekeeping staff was still cleaning at 5:00 P.M. We don't have a very good impression of this hotel & their staff! On a good note the rooms are nicely decorated!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Tammy S

I sincerely apologize for the shortcomings of the staff. We work very hard to ensure that these issues do not arise and again I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband had a motorcycle accident of the Blue Ridge Parkway on August 15, 2012. He was riding alone from Minnesota to North Carolina. I received a call from the Roanoke Memorial Hospital telling me he had no life threating injuries. The hospital also recommended Cambria Suites. I am forever grateful for the recommendation.

When I called Cambria for a reservation, Mickey at the front desk was wonderful. She said the shuttle would pick me up at the airport, take me any place, and they were here to help me. The next day when I walked out ouf Roanoke Airport, Harry the shuttle driver greeted me by name. When he heard why I was in town, he took me to the hotel and said he would show me the safest way to walk to the hospital -- three blocks away. From this point on, I felt as if the Cambria Family was watching and helping me.

All the shuttle drivers -- Harry, Herbert, and Jim -- watched for me. They checked to see how my husband, John, was doing and did I need anything. Jim drove me and waited as I purchased clothes for John. Herbert took me to UPS to mail three large boxes of motorcycle gear. And as the 13-day stay ended, Harry drove me to the airport to get a rental car and waited so I could follow him back to the hotel! When John moved from the hospital to a rehab center, they drove me to Raliegh Court Rehab Center. Because they were watching for me, I would tell them if I would need a ride home that night.

The front desk staff also helped me and asked daily how John was doing. Mickey, Maria, Nikki, Tiffany, and Kim answered my questions, told me when the washing machine was free, and brightened my day.

The bar/resturant staff also exceeded my expectations. One night Tony saw me walk in and head to the elevator. He came over with a menu and rode up the elevator as I gave me my dinner request! Jill also watched for me as I came back from a long day and was ready to take my order. In the mornings, Pam greeted me and asked what I wanted for breakfast. She and Debra remembered what I ordered in my omlete when I couldn't! They became my family. Also the food was excellant with vegetables cooked just right. Also the fresh fruit was a real treat.

The king suite was perfect for my stay. The accomondations were great including a wonderful bed, bathroom and an area to work on my computer.

I can not say enough about the care I received from Cambria Suites staff. I am sure I forgot to thank someone. The last day everyone gave me hugs and sent me on my way. They helped me during a long visit. Thank you everyone. I will never forget my Cambria Angels.

Elaine, Minneapolis, MN

Room Tip: The room was very quiet. I never hear anyone around me.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Elaine G

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff! I printed your response and they were all so pleased! We wish we could keep in touch with our special guests and would love to know how your husband is progressing

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an above average hotel based on layout, amenities, rooms and other qualities, but has lost some rating points from me due to some bizarre staff interactions I had:

- We specifically indicated we needed non-feather pillows in the reservations. The room didn't have them when we arrived (no big deal), but the staff INSISTED they were foam. I had to pull out each pillow and show them the tag that listed them as goose feather. Really?

- The hunt for non-feather pillows seemed to involve a very deep and complex puzzle that would take hours to complete according to the person looking for them. And when they were finally located, she actually called our room to ask us to pick them up. Uh, no.

- As I approached the front desk staff to make sure everything was good for checkout, I was chided by a woman behind the desk who barked "Where were you? We've been waiting a while since we called!". I looked perplexed. "Are you the cabbie?". I was not the cabbie; talk about ready, fire, aim.

- Finally, why is it that the Quality Inns throughout the city costs 1/2 to 1/3 of this place offers breakfast and this place has none.

So great rooms, not so great service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. We strive to exceed expectations and we fell short of meeting your. i am truly sorry!