“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Red Palace Tanglewood
Ranked #138 of 466 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Roanoke, Virginia
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I came to eat here today, which was the day of an expected major ice event in Roanoke. I pretty much had the place to myself...me and 2 other tables of 2. On top of that, it was nearly 2 PM, after prime lunch time. I was expecting old, cold, and not too good food...but I just wanted Chinese so I didn't care. Before today, I have been to the Valley View Red Palace, but not this one...at least not for at least 10 years.

What I got was GREAT, hot, fresh food!!! Even though there were only a few of us there, the staff were busy taking away the food that was starting to look a little old, and bringing out new fresh food. This included all of my favorites - cho cho chicken, spring rolls, lo mein, curry rice noodles, general tso chicken, all of it! I simply couldn't believe it. I've never had food that fresh on a buffet even when they are busy.

Side note - best hot and sour soup I've ever had...a little spicier than most and not as many veggies. Probably a low note for some, but just the way I like it.

Service was great. I was greeted as soon as I walked in the door, had a drink promptly, and every time I got up to get food they removed the old plate before I got back with my new food...then they came back to check on me to make sure I didn't need anything and that everything tasted good.

Still wowed.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank adamthepianoman

Staten Island, New York
“Not good even for a buffet.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Food - warm and unflavorful, place was slow and we had to tell servers that items were out. when refilled they were still not hot.

Server - simple and refilled sodas, but thats about all

Location - in the end of a strip mall next to Tanglewood mall and right off 220, so its convenient.

Wouldnt go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boones Mill, Virginia
“Red Palace Tanglewood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Excellent Chinese food! The staff is very friendly and attentive.There is a wide variety of food,which you can order from the menu or have the buffet.There is plenty of seating,and it is a kid friendly place.Prices are reasonable.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Shirley J
High Point
“Good choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Good service,was set within 5mins after we came in,many choices,buffet style,fair price,everything had a good taste, could use a update inside tables, flooring...

Visited August 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
“Nice for take out too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Haven't actually dined-in at this restaurant but have gotten buffet to go several times. Food is always hot and fresh. Tasty, your typical Americanized Chinese food but at a good value. Highly recommend for nights your family chef is on strike.

• Visited August 2013