“EXCELLENT HOTEL & STAFF”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
20715, Bowie, Md
“EXCELLENT HOTEL & STAFF”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Upon arrival at Country Inn and Suites, the front desk attendant greeted me with a "Good evening Ma'am, are you checking in?" She greeted me by last name after receiving my i.d. and every statemen she made afterward began or ended with Ma'am. I was absolutely impressed and grateful to be greeted as a paying customer and not a family member or aquaintance with the awful sweetie, honey, and hon greeting common in the South. (See side note on this at the end of my review). CHECK IN is a breeze if you call in your reservation directly to the hotel. The staff will note your every request!

First Impression of the room; The room was well lit and of the perfect temperature for July, a.c. at 69 degrees! The room smelled freshly cleaned, it was very neat and orderly. The bathroom toilet and water pressure was great, name brand products and toiletries were in place ('Pantene" and "Vaseline" lotion,etc). The towels and facecloths were soft to the touch and stocked well (no 1 towel, 1 handcloth and 1 facecloth short stocked). The fridge, microwave, countertops, in room carpet and fixtures were all clean, no spills or stickiness. The pillows were soft, sheets were clean all was nearly perfect and as described in room description. The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. It was in fact the most comfortable bed of 12 hotels we have stayed in over the last 5 years of visiting Roanoke.
The next day, we checked the pool, vending machines, carpet in halls, elevators in hotel. All were working and very good condition! The complimentary breakfast was really good! My husband had the sausage gravy with a biscuit, a single sausage,a large waffle from the self serve waffle maker, mixed fruit and orange juice. He said it was all great food. He is a very picky eater but he complimented the sausage gravy twice! The gravy was kept in a large crock pot which kept it piping hot. I had a mini blue berry muffin which was delicious, a bananna, it was fresh, sausage, sausage gravy on a biscuit and yogurt. I checked out with a great cup of coffee; not too watery, not to strong. Everything was great and the buffet offered more than enough choices of other items including, 3 cereals, 4 juices, bagels, biscuits, toast, pastries, sausage patties,cheese omelettes, muffins,apples,banannas, mixed fruit.
We stayed in room 110; king size 1 bedroom suite. We loved the complete wall offered in the suite instead of a divider. It gave the distance and the buffer of the hall noise to assure a great night of rest. We have stayed in 12 hotels in Roanoke between Tanglewood and Valley View Blvd. We would highly recommend this hotel. It is worth the extra money. The staff was awesome and very professional!!
Traveler's Tip- The pull out sofa mattress has the built in coils. It did not feel very comfortable, so our son ended up staying at a cousin's home. If you must utilize it for kids, find the local Walmart and buy a foam mattress pad. The price of a good one is $39 or you can bring your own.
Side note; Whether in business attire or vacation outfit, I believe all businesses should ban their employees from the inappropriate lingo of honey, hon, and sweetie in the business setting. It is such a bad habit in the south that leaks over into all sorts of professions in that area. We stopped at Fairfield Inn and Suites 2 hotels before Country Inn and the lady at the front desk greeted me with a "Are you checking in Hon?" (short for honey). This is NOT a good first impression for a hotel. I was so very glad we were at the wrong Inn and Suites! Lucky for us, she directed us to the Country Inn and Suites!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Let me be honest: when we travel, both my wife and I often choose consciously to stay in Country Inn and Suites because we have almost always found this chain's motels to offer a nice stay for, usually, a fair room rate. That was certainly the reason for our choice recently when visiting Roanoke, Virginia, and, once again, we were not disappointed.

Though there are few restaurants in the immediate area and it is necessary to drive a few miles in one direction or another to get a fine evening meal, the inn itself is easy to access from the nearby interstate highway less than a half-mile away. Its rooms are clean and comfortable, its breakfast more than adequate (though unquestionably the least enjoyable of all the motel/hotels that we stayed our on our trip), the front-desk personnel were friendly and outgoing. Certainly we would have liked a king-sized bedroom instead of the inn's largest queen-sized bedded one but all the room rates are very reasonable and that is undeniably a "plus. Clearly for a quick one-night stay, the Country Inn is a good choice for nearly all travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stopped here on our way to Nashville in June. It was very conveniently located off of 81, and not hard to find. To us, it is the perfect midpoint between Massachusetts and Nashville, TN. The rooms were very clean, the beds very comfortable, and the staff was pleasant. We walked in to the smell of fresh baked cookies, which were available at the front desk - a nice touch. The hotel was located adjacent to a very cute Mexican restaurant, "El Rodeo", which boasted good food at a very reasonable price, and extremely friendly staff. We were able to walk to the restaurant, enjoy dinner and a well-made drink on their patio, and then walk back to the hotel (which was nice after 10 hours of driving). We visited the pool and spa before retiring for the day, which we found quite relaxing. The next morning, we were able to have a nice full breakfast before heading out on the road again. We had a very pleasant experience at the Country Inn and Suites, and we will stay there again on future roadtrips.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I made reservations at this hotel for my college graduation. We found a different hotel the day before left that had three rooms available (country inn and suites only had two rooms). I called and canceled our reservations the day before we were to check in on thursday, may 13. I was in the car on my cell when making the call. The girl asked me if I would like a cancelation number. I told her I was driving and could not write it down, but asked her if she could send an e-mail with the confirmation that I did cancel. She said "absolutely". She told me which e-mail address she had on file. I told her that was correct, as I had already received the e-mail confirmation for the dates we were going to stay. She said she would get that sent right then. I didn't think anymore about it, because I've done this many times (had confirmation sent to e-mail and no issues). WELL, we get to Virginia on Thursday, everything is great. Friday, we discover that Country Inn and Suites had charged us $356 for the three rooms for the first night. I called and told the lady at the front desk that we had just been charged and I had canceled the day before we were to check in. She said there is no record of a cancelation and she told me that is shows we were to check in that night (friday). I said "no, our reservations were for thursday-sunday and I have e-mail confirmation of that and I canceled on Wednesday. Obviously their system was screwed if they couldn't even get the reservations to match the e-mail confirmation. She said I would have to leave a voicemail for the manager. I left a voicemail and requested a call back. He did not call back, but e-mailed back. He stated that I did not cancel. Yes, I did cancel. I e-mailed back and tried to call him. He would not return our calls. I told him I did cancel and I had the name of the girl who took the call. He said we would be charged the $356. So, we call our bank and they did what they could, but the manager insisted that he was not letting this go. We are a hard-working, middle class family with two young children. My husband served in the navy for 20 years fighting for our freedom and this is the thanks he gets. So, to the manager (biting my tongue not to say his name), my husband fought for your freedom, but you are so concerned about $356...shame on you! I did what I needed to do....cancel our reservations. My husband is retired military and knows A LOT of service men and women who travel. We will STRONGLY discourage them from giving Country Inn and Suites or any Carlson related business any business. My dad is a coach, he travels with his team ALL the time. He's stayed at Country Inn and Suites and would eat at Fridays all the time with the team. He said he will take his business elsewhere. Trust me, Country Inn and Suites and Carlson's loss is already beyond what you would have lost with the $356. You would be better off to refund our $356 and restore our faith in your business. Trust me, word of mouth goes a long way when you know so many who travel. I will remove this from this site if our money is refunded and I will let everyone know that you did refund our money. You will benefit A LOT more moral and financial wise, than holding onto $356. It's your choice. To everyone else, as far as we are concerned, this is NOT a hotel you want to give business to. This is how the manager treats hard-working families and veterans. Just because I do not have a confrmation number (at the fault of the girl at the front desk not sending the e-mail) we lost $356. It's your choice, but there are A LOT more hotels in the area that are not so greedy. Btw, this ruined my graduation weekend with all of this stress...so thank you to the manager.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Kent, England
Reviewed May 2, 2010

This Country Inn is right off I81 so is a great stopover.
Liked the extensive list of restaurants they had, with useful directions, but would have liked to have been offered it, rather than having to ask for it.

Clean hotel with very large standard rooms. Pillows too soft for me though!

Breakfast room is standard but not terribly light and bright - a bit too much artificial light.

Only stopped for one night, but it was fine. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mrs-Picky-Knickers
Richmond, VA
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Got more than we expected for this price. Impressive lobby. Coffee available around the clock. Free cookies.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThinBear
Lynchburg, VA
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our 10 yr anniversary as a short little getaway from the kids. We got the King Whirlpool Suite and stayed two nights (friday & saturday) in August 2009. The first thing my husband said when we walked into our room was, "I think this is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in". I would have to agree. I haven't stayed in many high-end hotels, but have stayed at the Hilton - VA Beach and Springhill Suites - Williamsburg, VA. I would say that the room we had was just as good if not better than the Hilton. The room looked just as nice as the pictures on the website.

The bathroom was really nice. We loved the huge shower with 5 different shower heads. Great for a achy back! All of the bathroom fixtures were stainless steel and fancy-looking.

The in-room whirlpool was very nice and clean. I could honestly do without the mirrors all around it though - haha. We had a hard time operating the whirlpool at times. It would've been nice to have a little set of instructions somewhere. The first night, after we went to bed, it kept turning itself on, the screen said it was the drying cycle?? It didn't do it the second night though... so who knows. I could've called the front desk to ask how to work it, but I just didn't feel like it.

The big visio flat-screen tv on the wall is a nice touch! We could sit in the whirlpool and watch tv... but you'll have to turn the jets off to hear it or else blast the tv so loud the whole hotel can hear it. I didn't mind though because I was being forced to watch some show about which military weapon causes the most destruction. (not the hotel's fault, however!)

The bed had nice (sateen, maybe?) sheets and a real comforter like I would use on my own bed. There were 4 big pillows, 2 soft, and 2 firm.

The lobby was the nicest lobby I've seen. It smelled so good and clean too. It looks like a little resort lodge inside. Very homey and cozy. There was a small bookcase with books that can be borrowed during your stay and returned to the drop box. That was a neat idea.

When we checked in on Friday night, there were 2 very young girls at the desk. One of them was rather grouchy and might have ruined my stay if I had anything out of the ordinary to deal with her about... but luckily I just had a simple check in and I was done with her. The next day, our room keycards stopped working. The lady at the desk was VERY nice and attentive. She checked our cards and saw that the girl had not coded them for 2 nights. She sincerely apologized and fixed the problem in seconds... we were totally satisfied. The lady at the desk the next day was also just as nice and check out was the easiest, fastest checkout I've ever experienced.

The pool and hot tub looked very nice and clean. We were planning to use them but couldn't seem to pass up the private hot tub in our room (doesn't require me walking in front of everyone with my bathing suit on! yay!) I love that the pool hours are til 11pm for everyone and 12am for adults only. That was a great idea having an hour for just the adults.

The continental breakfast was excellent. I mean, hey, it's free and it had most everything you could want. Breakfast was from 7-11am - so we had time to sleep in and also get breakfast. We used the make-your-own-waffle thing both mornings and really enjoyed them. There were also cheese omelets, biscuits & gravy, danishes, english muffins, bagels, yogurt (dannon activa, and then some kid types of yogurt too), muffins (blueberry, banana nut, etc.) cereals (cheerios, froot loops, and some sort of bran flakes), several types of butters, jellies, syrup, cream cheese, hot chocolate, 2% milk, orange juice, apple juice, and coffee. We went one morning at 8am and it was busy but still had a couple of empty tables to sit at. We didn't have to fight people for food or anything. The next morning we went at 10:30am and it was hardly anyone in there... a great time to go. Everything was kept stocked. The staff in there was very pleasant.

My only complaint was that our room was on the first floor sort of close to the front desk. Other guests walking by late at night or early in the morning on the way to breakfast were sometimes pretty loud and woke us up. We're pretty used to this from having kids though and sleep rather lightly. I don't guess there is anything the hotel can do about this except tape everyone's mouths shut. That probably wouldn't go over so well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple