“Best in the area”
Review of Cafe Asia

Cafe Asia
Ranked #38 of 497 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Love this place. Friendly staff, huge menu selection, everything always fresh. The hot washcloths before and after the meal are wonderful. Never had a bad meal yet. A bit off the beaten track, but worth the extra few minutes of travel time.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Had the general tso's chicken. That's my go to at this place, although everything I've ever eaten here has been delicious. Great flavor! Properly cooked. Not sure if its better ingredients or better preparation but this is the best Chinese food in Roanoke. Makes take out Chinese look like the McDonald's of Chinese. I am not a sushi fan but the folks I've been here with love their sushi also. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

They have a really great variety of food at Cafe Asia! You can get a lot of different things. I had the seaweed salad, which was very generously portioned, and quite tasty. Then I had the double California roll lunch special, which was good, if not a little monotonous. I also had the miso soup which had lots of greenery in it, which I appreciated. For dessert, I'm not sure what it's called, but it was fruit, including fried bananas, stacked on top of each other with whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate and raspberry sauce. It was amazing!

The only thing I didn't really like was the bubble tea. Usually I am a huge, HUGE fan of bubble tea, but it was served over ice instead of like a smoothie like I have usually seen it, and the tapioca pearls were...dry...for a lack of a better descriptor. Kind of a strange way to describe something that is in liquid, but I can't figure out another way. Besides that, it was great!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am in Roanoke for work this week, and saw an ad in a magazine for Cafe Asia. I phoned to see if they serve gluten-free soy sauce (which tells me a lot about their g-free knowledge) and they said yes. Then I checked urbanspoon and verified that they are gluten-friendly.

Upon our arrival, my friend and I sat at the sushi bar. After a few g-free questions about the imitiation crab and some other things, our server (who knew most of the answers) said she would send over her manager, who could tell us more.

He was fantastic! His name is Feng Chen. Not only very friendly, but very knowledgeable. He loves to eat, loves to cook, and tries out every combination that he recommends. When doing g-free substitutions, the flavor combinations change and so he recommends different sauces, etc, to enhance the proper flavors.

He asked questions to find out what I like, then suggested various combinations (we were discussing sushi rolls). He described himself as the go-between, learning what I like, and then telling the chefs/cooks what to create for me. Everything he suggested was wonderful.
For dessert there was a fruit dish with fried bananas (I chose fresh), kiwi, mandarin orange, and strawberries, with chocolate drizzle.

It was a work of art.
Everything was a work of art. The presentation was amazing.

As most gluten-free customers know, it can be hard to find a restaurant that will treat you like royalty.
Feng Chen and the staff at Cafe Asia does just that.
Thank you Feng, for a wonderful meal and wonderful experience!

5  Thank Susan M
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Cafe Asia is located in the Kroger Shopping Center in Bonsack off Route 460. From the outside, nothing really stands out to make you think it's different than any other strip mall Asian restaurant. Fortunately, I'd heard very good things from other people who eat there regularly and I had high expectations. When we arrived, I was impressed with the design and decor of the interior. There was a sushi bar, hardwood floors, and plenty of room in what seems like a limited amount of space. It also appeared they did a large number of take out orders.

The food was some of the best Asian food I've had in Roanoke. We ordered two appetizers before the meal - edamame and crab wontons. The edamame was good and the crab wontons had a good mix of crab and cream cheese - not quite as good as Pei Wei but not bad at all. For an entree, I decided to order the Chicken Curry. I had a tough time deciding between all the entrees and noodle dishes but the flavors of the curry were intriguing. I wasn't disappointed when a giant bowl filled with chicken, onion, peas, carrots, and pineapple in a delicious sauce was served. The chicken was incredibly tender (sit in the crock-pot all day sort of tender) and everything had fresh and bold flavor. There was some spice in the sauce, but the sweetness of the pineapple helped balance it out nicely. It was also served with a side of rice. For $8, I was shocked at how big the portion was. I don't think I was able to eat half of it and was able to have leftovers for two additional meals. I'd definitely go back for the curry, but I'd also be interested in trying many of the other entrees. I've also heard good things about the sushi, which I would try at lunch when the prices are more reasonable. All this to say, a few more trips out to Cafe Asia are in order.

It's been a while since I can remember having a go-to Asian restaurant in Roanoke (other than getting sushi at Wasabi's) but Cafe Asia could become that place. The prices and portions were great and I loved the taste of the food. I just need to make my way over to Bonsack more often.

1  Thank FromBallparkstoBBQ