“Convenient Location and Comfortable Accommodations” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View

Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View
Ranked #21 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Texas
“Convenient Location and Comfortable Accommodations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

The Holiday Inn Roanoke is conveniently located near the airport, downtown dining, and other entertainment/shopping venues. The facility is well kept offering an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, small restaurant and bar, workout room, and other amenities. The room offered plenty of space with a comfortable king size bed, small couch, work area and a bathroom well stocked and relatively large.

I would definitely recommend this property for business and/or leisure travel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
nordway, General Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke Valley View, responded to this review, May 11, 2015
Dear Padadio,
Thank you for the review on our property, we value each and every comment! We look forward to your next stay with us, when your travels should bring you back through the Roanoke Valley!
Holiday Inn Management!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Huntsville, AL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

I stayed in this hotel July 29th. We were traveling south on I 81 and needed a place to stay for the night. After seeing a billboard advertising an indoor pool we chose this property. My 3 girls wanted to swim and it was too chilly & rainy to stay somewhere with an outdoor pool. This hotel was off of I 581 near I 81.

We called home and my husband checked out TripAdvisor before we checked in and found that it was a newly remodeled hotel. The front desk staff was nice enough and assured me that all the rooms were completely remodeled and were nice. Upon entering the room we were sorely disappointed. It looks like someone picked and chose what to replace. The bedding and furniture were dated. The carpet seemed new, but the paint around the doorframes was chipped and peeling.

The bathroom counter area was a nice new granite counter-top with a modern mirror and light. But the coffee pot was very old. It looked like a Mister Coffee from 1981! The grout between the tile around the tub was full of mold/mildew. My kids said "yuck" when they came into the bathroom and looked into the tub. Luckily it was for only one night and they didn't need a bath. I would not bathe my kids in that tub. When I took my shower in the morning, I noticed that the plumbing behind the faucet was coming out of the wall. When I turned on he shower more water fell out of the shower head connection than sprayed out of the nozzle. I took pictures for you to see.

After consulting the in room book, we found out that the pool opens at 10:00 and breakfast is served daily from 6:30 - 10:30. We arrived in the lobby at 10:10 for a quick breakfast before swimming. When we got to the restaurant the hostess informed us that the book is wrong and that breakfast ended at 9:30. Luckily she was nice enough to give my kids cereal before closing down the buffet line. Another family showed up after we did and read the same thing in the room. There are no restaurants within walking distance to this hotel.

The pool area was nice enough, but it was not a true indoor pool. It was a swim-through indoor/outdoor pool and the water was too cold to enjoy. From the attached pictures you can see that everyone was swimming in the hot tub instead of the pool even though it was July.

I spoke with the front desk about the problems with the room and the breakfast notice in the room. He seemed surprised about the maintenance problems with our room, but I can't believe that he thinks this hotel is wonderful. It has very dated fake flower arrangements everywhere. The elevators are old and squeaky. Our room rate was $119 and did not include breakfast or any other benefits. The front desk staff quickly took $20 off of our bill we I told him we were not satisfied with our stay. Still the room was over priced for the amenities this hotel offered. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Michelle K
Dear Michelle K,
richmond,virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

I was temporarly transferred here with my company and they are useing this hotel for transferred associates. I will be staying here for a total of 2 months if not longer. Most of the front desk staff (with the exception of one or two) are very personable and friendly. Some even know me by my name. When you stay in a hotel for so long it (sort of) becomes like a second home. I definatly feel at home at this hotel. The only gripes I have about this hotel is the fact that the wireless internet has been down for 3 weeks, but after going down to the front desk about the issue (they have this posted near the front desk) they gave me a broadband connection cord and after a few tries I did finally get connected to the web. The broadband connection is fast and best of all no charge. The other gripe is that my room has an interior view (faceing the autrium) with is nice but when you are in a hotel for 2 months its nice to get a little fresh air and be able to see out side. I went down to the front desk serveral times until I gave up and made due with the room I am in. The hotel is older but its a good choice because of the land its on which makes it peaceful compared to a hotel over closer to the mall. I will keep you updated on my stay here!!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank teebyrd86
Dear Teebyrd86,
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

The hotel is situated in a very convenient area right off of I-581 less than 1/2 mile to a very nice shopping area with a good variety of food (avoid El Toreo). The rooms were very nice and clean, and the overall appearance of the hotel is very welcoming. The breakfast prices are very affordable, but no complimentary breakfast. The heated pool is a great break from the hustle and bustle of meetings and even perhaps a day of touring with children. But...the pool being in the same room as the lobby gives the whole atrium a chlorine smell. Avoid staying in rooms close or above the laundry room (307 for example). Apparently, they use natural gas to dry their laundry, seems there's a gas leak, since the rear entrance of the hotel wreaked of natural gas...in turn, our A/C system, even though turned off, sucked in the gas smell into our room, leaving us to change rooms at night. Must admit though, the front desk was more than happy to accomodate us.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank darumscb
Dear darumscb,
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

We haven't even arrived yet, and already the confusion has started. The Holiday Inn website for this property states the rooms have mini fridges and microwaves, but when I try to book my group into this hotel, I am being told that some rooms might have these ammenaties, and some might not.

If you are booking a room at this hotel and you are counting on taking advantage of this advertised ammenaty, beware and be sure to clarify that your room indeed includes a mini fridge and microwave.

Also, don't count on a buffet breakfast in the restaurant, this is only served if there are enought patrons staying in the hotel to make it worth their while, otherwise you will be ordering off the menu....too slow when trying to get a group going and out the door in the morning, which is why we wanted the mini fridge and microwave in the first place!!

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank ncmom65
Dear NCMom65,
charlottesville, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

The Holiday Inn on Ordway drive is tucked away across the interstate from the airport in a very private area. No problems with noise from airplanes taking off and landing. This hotel has been remodeled and I found it quite above average. The lobby was beautiful but smelled of chlorine from the indoor pool. The rooms were spacious and the beds were new. I had a microwave and a refrigerator in my room. The staff was friendly and accommodating too. If you are a Priority Club member, you can check out at 2 pm. I plan on staying there every time I am in Roanoke, which is quite a lot.

Stayed May 2006
8 Thank kimberleighy
Dear Kimberleighly,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2004

The Clarion is a rarity in this era of low-cost, low-service, no-frills hotels. Although it suffers from 70s architecture and is somewhat dated (the Clarion began life as a Sheraton), it is truly full-service: large reception hall, indoor/outdoor pool, volleyball and horseshoes and basketball, full restaurant and bar with room service, business center, several large and small ballrooms and conference centers, etc. Rooms are large; bathrooms have "real" fixtures, etc. Yes, this is an "old-timer," but if you can get it at a good price, it's pretty hard to beat.

12 Thank radio71