Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Everything about this hotel from the lobby to the guest rooms is very modern! We stopped for the night halfway through our 15 hour drive. We were quite pleased. The staff was friendly and I highly recommend Shula's restaurant.

The downside to this hotel was the air conditioning could be quite loud in the rooms, louder than most hotels (maybe our rooms air had an issue?) and the beds were kind of hard. Other than that we were exceptionally pleased!

Room Tip: Even side has the best views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sox91991
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your very kind comments. I'm sorry that you found your mattress to be on the firmer side, this is the nature of the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding. As you are aware finding a mattress that all can agree is the best can be a very daunting task indeed. I have also noted your comment regarding the air conditioner. Thanks again for your comments and especially for taking the time to passing them on to us.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Thanks to the staff for making our stay during the flooding an amazing one. My 2 year old had a blast in the pools and my husband and I loved the room service and hospitality. We are definitely going to stay with Sheraton hotels more often in the future

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon H

I hope that you were with us coincidentally during the heavy rains as opposed to being displaced from your home! At any rate I'm glad we were able to turn a rainy day into a very positive experience. Thanks for taking the time to pass your comments on via Trip Advisor and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I just spent 3 nights at this location for business travel this week (it was not my first stay at this location), and I continue to be very pleased with this property. The workout facility is very large and well equipped, there is an indoor and outdoor pool, the staff is very friendly, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The cost of the hotel is also incredibly reasonable given the accommodations and the service. There is a Shula's restaurant located in the hotel that is excellent. My only negatives are that the television service in my room was spotty, with ESPN and ESPN2 not working more than they did and with a call to the front desk providing no remedy. Also, if you are working downtown, this hotel is several miles away from the business district.

All in all, this would probably be a 4.5 star rating if that was available. A very nice property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EAS1972

I want to thank you for your very positive comments about our hotel based upon a number of stays with us. I was sorry to hear that you were with us when we were having issues with a number of our TV channels. This was caused by severe thunderstorms over that timeframe and have since been resolved. Thanks again for your comments and, as well, for taking the time to pass them on via Trip Advisor.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This place was full of the most customer friendly staff I've ever visited (and at 73 years I have visited many places). They are also very dog friendly. I've stayed there twice and each time have been impressed with the outgoing and helpful attitude of all staff top to bottom.

Room Tip: If you have a dog try for first floor room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fred A

I was very happy to hear that you had a great stay and particularly found our staff to very most helpful. While I hear this alot I never get tired of the comments! Thanks for taking the time to pass them on and we hope to see you back again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We spent a Friday night and then a Sunday night here during a quick turnaround weekend trip to attend a family member's wedding in northern VA.

My husband is a Starwood Platinum Preferred Guest, so we were able to use points for the rooms :-) We had our daughter and my husband's mom, so we got 2 rooms. One room was a huge suite. We had it both nights. It had a large living / work area with two couches, several chairs and a large dining table. There was free water, coffee, and a small refrigerator. The other room was on the Club level both visits. It had 2 beds, work table, water, coffee, and refrigerator. All furnishings were modern and attractive.

In both rooms, the beds were wonderful! Very comfortable bed with luxurious linens! The bathrooms were adequate although the club level room could have had a bigger bathroom.

In the lobby area there are several sitting areas with attractive furnishings and some fireplaces and TV's. There is a Starbucks (which our daughter cannot resist), and a casual restaurant where we had a great breakfast. For breakfast they have an omelet station, hot items such as bacon, sausage, eggs, oatmeal and potatoes. There were also pastries, cold cereal, yogurt, and breads. The food was delicious and service was very good. We did not eat anything but breakfast, but I think there is also a dinner menu.

There is also a Shula's 347 Grill which we did not have time to visit.

Some other things I checked out but did not get to use: an indoor and outdoor pool, a large fitness center, and a computer station.

I try to be fair with my reviews including good and bad. Here's a couple not so great things - the halls and lobby areas were too warm. Not comfortable to me at all. The rooms are a decent walk from the lobby. That is not really a negative, just be prepared. There had been some water damage in the area where the suite was, so Monday morning before leaving, construction crews were there. I smelled paint or some solvent that gave me a headache. Hopefully, the repairs will not take long to complete. I am a dog person, but if you are not, it could be an issue. We saw several big dogs. My only dog issue was that as we entered the restaurant for breakfast, a child had her dog inside the entrance - not into the seating area, but it still seemed a bit too close to the eating area.

Overall, this was a very nice, beautiful hotel and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Use the valet service if you have several pieces of luggage as the rooms are a bit of a walk from th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janet P

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post such a complete review. It sounds as though you had a great stay and for that I am very pleased. Note that we did have some damage to rooms due to a storm prior to your visit and we were working on a few rooms - this has now been completed. I wish I had seen the dog that close to the restaurant as we do not allow that. I'm sorry you did not get a chance to try our Shula's restaurant - maybe next time? We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel/conference center is the best kept secret in Roanoke. It is super convenient to the airport, close to shopping and yet not crammed into a downtown venue. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. This was especially true at the check-in (B) and with the concierge (XLF). My suite was spacious and well appointed. All of the amenities were well maintained. I can think of nothing negative about the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Bob D, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay! I also want to thank you for taking the time to post your comments to Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you with us again in the future

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had booked a room through Booking.com for my brother and his wife as they were traveling.
When they arrived to the hotel they were told that there was no room reservation. I called and spoke to booking.com and they assured me that there was a reservation. I again called the hotel and spoke to Belinda who informed me that there was not a reservation however "she had a large amount of faxes coming over so she was very busy." Once again I called Booking.com to get this taken care of as I am several hours away from the hotel and my brother. I called the hotel and the rude front desk attendant informed that they had received the fax. This took 2 hours over the phone to clear up. My bank statement then arrives and I see that I was charged 1.00, 23.08, 109.00, and 123.17. I have been back a forth with the hotel manager who said that he would check and fix it and call me back which he hasn't. I have called booking.com and consistently get a different representative who has me start the process all over. I have after 6 weeks had the $1.00 and $23.08 removed from my account. I travel frequently and would not recommend using either of the listed facilities. Moral is Buyer beware cause if it is a good deal probably hidden costs and problems associated with it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

I apologize for the issues you encountered both with Booking.com as well as with our hotel. I can assure you that these situations are very typically not the case and can only hope that you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves.