“Great Stay and A Nice Property”

Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have stayed at this SPG property many times over the last several years. It is in a great location. Close to shopping, restaurants and the airport. Only about 15 minutes from the downtown area.

I was upgraded to the Club Floor. The room was very nice. Several great features like the aeron desk chair, absolutely the best, I have one at my office. Also, great space utilization. The flat screen TV was mounted on the wall to allow for plenty of desk and cabinet top space. A great idea to give the traveler more space for their belongings and to spread out work.

One miss is that in the room tower where the Club Floor is there is only 1 ice machine on the 1st floor. This may not be that big of a deal, but misleading since each floor has signage pointing toward ice machines that do not exist. Definitely need to take some time and update the floor signage.

Also, it is disappointing that this Sheraton has not made the change has most have to open the Club Floor Lounge on the weekends. This is a miss and should be addressed. They do provide restaurant coupons to compensate.

This property has one of the largest fitness centers I have seen at any hotel. More than enough equipment to handle peak times and days.

I did not eat at any of the restaurants, but they do have a Shula's Grill in the lobby. Definitely, a quality establishment and no doubt one of the nicest restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Lv2ctheworld,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center and taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor. We want you to know that we welcome and thank you for your feedback and they are being addressed.

Sioncerely,

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Roanoke 5-6 of April 2013 and attended the Nascar Race at Martinsville Virginia. This was part of a tour provided by There and Back Nascar Tours.
The Hotel was great,clean and the staff was excellent. We were provided with a buffet breakfast both mornings which was excellent.
We decided to go to The Longhorn Steak House that was located in a shopping area near the Hotel and was driven in the Hotel shuttle van by a Mr Fox who was very entertaining and helpful.
I would stay there again.
We stayed at a Sheraton in Richmond Virginia last year staff was very un friendly so this was a great weekend. Thanks All involved

Room Tip: We found that our room was great it looks like they have just done renos.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Huron-Rooster,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton and taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor. It's nice to read positive comments letting us know that you had great stay with us and about our associates.Mr.Fox is indeed one of the outstanding ambassador for our hotel.

Once again we thank youi,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff are friendly, but we happened to be put in two rooms that smelled like cat urine. The first room was foul. We contacted the front desk and they promptly moved us to another room. The second room was less smelly, but we had to have the staff spray Febreeze. The room was a great size and the beds comfortable. If you are allergic to smells be careful in the lobby because of all the deodorizer. Also, dogs are allowed so be prepared. Mr. Fox is a delight and the facilities were well maintained. There are no microwaves in the room. The refrigerator and coffee maker are nice touches. I think they are doing upgrades so expect a few hiccups. For example, some TVs did not have the ABC channel.

Room Tip: Unless traveling with a pet ask for a room off of the first floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear FamilyTripTaker_12

First, we want to thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center,also an apology to you for any inconvenience you experience.
Again we thank you,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

After a long day of driving the Sheraton Roanoke was a welcome oasis. I was pleased at its proximity to the interstate (approx. 3 miles and easy to find) and the service we received at check-in. The hotel itself was well appointed in all visible common areas and our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. On the down side, and the reason this porperty didn't rate 5 star for me, was the in-room heating unit was quite noisy and kept my wife awake most of the night. We also shorted on towels in the bathroom and I found it a bit of an awkward layout finding the elevators to get to the room. The latter two critiques are minor in nature but the nosiy heating unit was a challenge. All in all it was a very nice property and having booked it through Hotwire the price was right!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Can8dn,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center. We also thank you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor your feedback. Your feedback is very importance to us.
Once again we thank you,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here one night before the Martinsville Nascar race. This is a very nice hotel right off the freeway. The lobby and rooms were nice, new looking, and clean. The room was well appointed with a very comfortable bed, LCD TV, coffee maker, and refrigerator.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again. There are however some slight criticisms and things to be aware of.
My GPS said I had reached my destination but I didn't see the hotel. Make sure you turn right onto Ordway Dr. by the Exxon then immediate right.
Also, while there is ample parking it is not conveniently close to the rooms. Luggage carts are a must for long stays or a big family, but seemed scarce.
There is an LCD TV but why hotels don't calibrate the picture or let patrons adjust it themselves is very frustrating.
There are many places to eat in the area and there is a restaurant attached to the hotel, but no free breakfast.

Some things of note for race fans.
Martinsville Speedway is approximately an hour and fifteen minutes from the hotel. It was a nice, fairly traffic free drive, and there aren't many options very much closer unless you book early or are willing to pay a hefty price.
I didn't use it, but the weekend I stayed there a round trip bus service to the track was offered for $75.00.
If you make it there too late to go to the Truck race like I did, forget relaxing in your room watching it. Really? No SpeedTV?
The staff at the lounge at Shula's were friendly and attentive. We had a good time but I was surprised at how relatively empty it was the night before the race. The lounge is good if you're looking for a friendly convenient place to have a few cocktails on Race Day Eve and don't mind paying a little higher prices for drinks.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Boatr35,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center. we also want to thank you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor regarding your stay and your feedback.

Thomas Wiid

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Sheraton Roanoke may look a little dated on the outside, but it is very nice on the inside. The service at the front desk was helpful and courteous and the room I had for two nights was big, full of natural light and had a comfortable bed. The carpet had buckled in the middle and one of the lamps had a broken bulb holder (it dangled down and out from under the shade by a wire. I told the front desk twice but they did not seem interested as the lamp was working).

Overall I had a very good experience a this hotel and would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear GoodFood88,

Thank you for staying with us hear at the Sheratoin Roanoke Hotel & Conference Center.I was nice to read that you had a very good stay with us. We also want you to know that we welcome and thank you for your feedback and assured you that they have been addrssed.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

First impressions are important and Mr. Xavier Lafayette Fox made this place the best hotel I've stayed at in years. Mr. Fox was the most pleasant, helpful person I've met in a long time. He made sure we didn't feel rushed off-loading our things, had a ready smile and encouraging words, and simply made us feel like we were visiting his home. I would adopt him into my family if I could.

The rest of the staff was friendly and helpful as well. We had a few mishaps and special needs and everyone we dealt with went the extra step to make our stay as positive as possible.

The rooms and beds were very comfortable. The indoor pool was crowded by clean. The only downside is that you can hear the doors in the hallway slam shut.

I look forward to staying here again. We often stop off in Roanoke; this will be our regular place from now on.

Room Tip: The hallway is long so getting a room closer to the elevator (halfway between the elevator and the v...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear KenH,

It's always nice to read positive comments about our assocites,Mr Fox is indeed a goodwill ambassador for our hotel.On your next trip to Roanoke please contact me directly and I will make sure you get the room you are requesting closer the elevator.Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton.