“Very comfortable and spacious”

Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
lisamgale
“Very comfortable and spacious”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 children 4 and under for one night on our cross-country journey to Texas. The hotel is updated and pretty. It has a lot of modern design in the rooms and the reception area. The reception area was backed up and the staff was so sweet about it. They were very helpful and provided us with a quick check-in and a beautiful room. The beds and bedding were so comfortable and just what we needed after a long drive in the car. The only downside to their newer sleek design is that the dark wood left little to the imagination and every finger print, smudge or dirt spot was clearly visible. The room wasn't the cleanest since I could spot those smudges everywhere, but the room was definitely not dirty. It's a hotel and you expect it to be lived in. The smudges on the walls/doors could be easily taken care of with a little extra wipe down from the cleaning staff. We were so comfortable all night. The beds and bedding at Sheraton can't be beat!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear lisamgale,
Thank you for the great post on TripAdvisor, especially the two pictures. Looks as though the family had a great time. I hope your trip to Texas is a pleasant one, and I have passed along the comments regarding housekeeping as well.
Thank you again.
Greg Hargrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel was such pleasant treat after a long day of driving. The staff was very friendly ad helpful, the bed was incredible, in room Star Bucks coffee was awesome, and spacious room was just what we needed to relax for the evening. Also, the active duty military discount was greatly appreciated for our move across country to a new base. Would reccomend this hotel a thousand times over!

• Stayed September 2012
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear JRMaine,
I was pleased to read you had a pleasant and comfortable stay after a long day of driving. We are proud to offer the active duty military discount to all branches of the military, and hope your move to your new base is a smooth one. I hope on your next trip through the Roanoke Valley, you will once again choose the Sheraton as your home away from home.
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was a guest for the MWPHGL of Va session,September 13 thru 15 2012. I had brought my 93 year old dad to see his sister. It really took me by surprise that your establishment was not able to accommodate us with a wheel chair. Otherwise your staff was outstanding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Clarence W,
Thank for letting us know of your experience here at the Sheraton. If we would have known ahead of time that you where in need of a special wheelchair, we would have made arrangements to accomodate. The hotel and all it's outlets are 100% ADA compliant. I was pleased to read the rest of the staff was outstanding.
Respectfully,
Sterling, Virginia, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Doris at the front desk was especially courteous and helpful... Xavier also was terrific as was Katie at the bar. Excellent accommodations and service! I'll definitely be staying here next time I visit Roanoke, Virginia.

Room Tip: I always choose a higher floor and the end of the hall
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Lance U,
Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stay and the associates you came in touch with. I have already passed along your post to the individuals you mentioned. We look forward to your next visit.
Greg hargrave
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed here for business from Monday to Friday for one week in August.
There really isn't much in the area. The only food joints are fast food and you will definitely need a car. It is decently close to a couple golf courses that were good, I golfed at Hanging rock which was 10 min away. I would give that course a 6.5/10. I also golfed at Ashley Plantation 25 min away (8/10).
The Hotel itself was quite nice. Very large. Rooms were clean. The gym facility was very nice for a hotel. Highly recommend that. Pool also looked nice but I didn't go in.
Parking was free.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the front. Easier to walk to your car. The place is quite large and spread ou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Yearnny T,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. We are close to a number of Golf Courses, most within a thirty minute drive, and we do have a Shula's 347 Grill on property. If your travels bring you back to the Roanoke Valley, I hope you will stay with us once again.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Lovely place, especially if you travel with pets. Clean large rooms, wonderful (clean!) and well equipped exercise facility. Great staff. I did not eat on site so I cannot speak to the quality of those services. Very nicely landscaped dog walking area equipped with bags for easy pet care. Saw no "traces" from other animals left behind. Easy access to and from Blacksburg and Virginia Tech.

About our stay: I called the hotel a few days before our stay and asked if there was a place locally to board our dog because I was locally out of options (holiday weekend). The gentleman who took the call asked why I didn't want to keep the dog in our room - was there a problem and maybe he could help?

We had no idea and were thrilled. I explained that we had a young 20lb. dog that was a rescue with separation anxiety. We were going to see the Hokies play and I was concerned that the dog might disturb other guests. I said we would bring the dog's crate so I wasn't concerned about the room as much as the dog barking or crying. I was told it was up to me, but he didn't think it would be a problem.

So my husband and I decided we would bring the dog and if it were a problem, I would stay and watch the game in the room with the dog and he and our son would go to the stadium. Not thrilled to drive 5 hours in the car with the dog to stay in the room but decided it was worth a shot.

When we got to the hotel to check in, the woman who greeted us was very nice and handed me the release form (which was discussed on the phone) and as I was filling it out my heart sank. On the form there was a section where it noted the person(s) signing the form agreed to be with the dog at all times.

As I was starting to protest and explain, Lee Abrams who works there looked up and said something like "Oh hi - I think I spoke to you on the phone, how are you?" I was clearly distressed and I said this part wasn't mentioned on the phone, at least I don't recall because if it were, I would have stayed home.

He was great - he took personal responsibility and said that he was working until late and if I gave him permission to go into the room, he would go and check up on the dog and make sure he was okay. Lee asked if we had any treats for the dog, a leash, etc.

It was perfect - we came back the dog was calm, there were no complaints from any other guests and the Hokies won!

We will defiantly be staying there again for Hokie football home games.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are for folks and their pets. Make sure you are on a different floor if you...
2 Thank Terry B
Dear Terry B,
I was pleased to read you were able to bring your dog on your trip to see the Hokies. As you can see we are very much a dog friendly hotel, and I was happy Lee was able to make your visit less stressful. I hope on your next trip to see the Hokies, you will once again stay here at the Sheraton.
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here travelling home from Atlanta to NY. Nice hotel. Very large facility that was pretty empty when we were there. Looked a little outdated. Shula's restaurant was satisfactory for late dinner (burgers and sandwiches) . No major complaints, but nothing that I saw as special. Few miles off the interstate.Chose it because it had two queen beds, not doubles, which was more comfortable for family of three.

Dear hschatz,
Thank you for the post regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. Our large rooms allow the two Queen size beds as opposed to two Doubles. We find this to be more comfortable for our guests, especially if your traveling with a family.
Thank you again for your comments.