“A Nice Night in Roanoke”

Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Nice Night in Roanoke”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My girlfriend had previously stayed at this Sheraton and told me that she thought it was very nice, so when it came time for us to book a night in Roanoke, we hoped for this hotel. We put blind faith in a hotwire deal and were very pleased when we ended up with this hotel at a great price! We got a nice king sized bed on a higher floor, which is something we typically like. The room came equipped with Starbucks brand coffee, a mini-fridge, and a complimentary bottle of water. The room was nice and spacious, the hotel grounds were more impressive than expected, and the hotel simply had the feel of being well kept. The 24 hour sundry shop in the lobby was also a good feature to offer, and was much more reasonably priced than most hotel in-room snack bars. Parking was plentiful and easy to find, and check-in/check-out was a breeze. The in-room dining was also pretty reasonably priced and was pretty solid, and the server was remarkably friendly.

So, amidst all of the positives, why does this place only get a "very good" rating? Well, for one, it charged for internet access. We have reached a time where WiFi should really be complimentary, and this Sheraton should really catch up with times. The bed was also not terribly comfortable, and the television signal was weak with the picture coming through with a dark tint. The mini-fridge also buzzed a bit, but that is pretty standard for mini-fridges and can be overlooked. All in all, this is a nice place to stay in Roanoke, and I'd readily stay here again, but I surely hope they start offering complimentary Internet, as all places really should nowadays.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gournal3311
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear gournal3311,
I was pleased to read you and your girlfriend had an enjoyable stay here at the Sheraton. We have addressed a few of your concerns, noisy fridge and weak signal on the TV. As far as Internet, we do provide complimentary to both our Gold and Platinum members and have free WiFi in our Link@Sheraton. Hopefully on your next trip through the Roanoke Valley, you will once again stay with us here at the Sheraton.
Greg Hargrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We are all responsible for making sure we pack our belongings when we leave a hotel at the end of our stay. However, it is nice to know that a hotel that bears the Sheraton name would also present an honest, well-run team in case you do leave an item behind. I left a dress behind on a short stay in this Sheraton, Roanoke, VA. I had worn the dress out to a special dinner the night before we checked out So the only place it could be is still in the hotel room. Upon the realization, I immediately called the night receptionist or desk clerk. She assured me that someone from Lost and Found would call me back in the morning - I only needed to leave her my name, contact, and description of item. I did call and left the lady a message -twice. I never heard from her. I contacted management and they told me she was out, but that a red dress had been found and they would hold it for me. I returned to the hotel only to find a housekeeping assistant and front desk clerk saying there was a misunderstanding and that no red dress had been found. I called back later that afternoon and was given a reassuring talk that she would follow-up on Monday - this was a Friday. Monday came and went...no phone calls. Tuesday and Wednesday have come and gone. It is almost a week now and Sheraton's management has not raised a further finger to help me figure out if the dress was lost again...or somehow disappeared from the room. If there management is this laissez-faire about customer service and housekeeping this uncredible - would you want to stay there and leave your clothes and valuables in the room? I will never stay there again and will avoid other Sheratons in similar markets.

Room Tip: Do not stay here - management does not care about you - really.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T B
Dear TB,
I was sorry to read your post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us here at the Sheraton. It is my understanding the Red Dress was found and returned. I'm sorry for the confusion on our end, and rest assured we do care about our guests. I hope the rest of your stay was an enjoyable one.
Respectfully,
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Sheraton Roanoke in May 2012. We visited a relative which was based in Hollins university and the hotel was therefore quite conveniently located very close to an interstate exit. It is in front of the main shopping mall of the city with lots of restaurants and shops (although the shopping mall is relatively small and sad but this is typical of a small US city).

The hotel is very well decorated, very clean and staff is very friendly eveytime we entered the hotel. The room was big, the bed was huge and very comfortable and the room was nicely decorated. We did not test the inside pool or hot tub but it looked great.

Overall this was a very good base in a peaceful small town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank florent1980
Greg H, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear florent1980,
Thank you for resonding to TripAdvisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center. We are indeed close to Hollins University as well as Virginia Tech, which makes us a convenient hotel for visitors. Next time your in town, please give our Shula's 347 Steak House a try, you'll not be disappointed. Again, thank you for choosing the Sheraton.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Spent the weekend here for a military event. The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The indoor pool area was small, but there was a larger book area outsides. My room had a fridge and was spacious. They only problem we had was one night we put out the paper that indicated we wanted breakfast, but our request sheet was never picked up. There was a nice bar in the hotel. This is not a reflection on the hotel but if you go to the bar check you bank statements because people with me where charged twice and overcharged. Hotel is located close to the mall and various places to eat.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank DialK
Dear Dialk,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I was pleased overall we met your expectations. I have already addressed the Door Knob hanger issue with room service, and spoke to the resaurant regarding the double billing. I hope on your next trip through the Roanoke Valley, you'll once again stay here at the Sheraton.
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels across the country, but never anticipated on staying in a hotel for 4 nights just 2 miles from my own home! That was until the power went out on June 29th and remained out until July 4th. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating to all of the guests as they were filled to capacity for many days during the last week with both people and dogs. I am very appreciative of the fact that they allowed dogs to stay even when they filled their "dog friendly" floor to capacity. It seems the management at the Sheraton Roanoke understands that during extreme times policies must be bent to better serve the customer and community. The accommodations were extremely nice and the staff made sure they did not add to the already stressful situation of the power outages. It is with great THANKS and appreciation that I write this review. The Sheraton brand will now be my first pick when looking to book a hotel.

THANK YOU!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ROATravel
, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear macfan2008,
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor, and for your kind words. Yes we did bend the rules a bit, but under the circumstances we would do it again. I'm proud of my staff as many of them were without their own power at home, but still came in to take care of the customers and their pets. Again, thank you for the kind words.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I ended my vacation by spending the last few days at one of favorite places to stay in Roanoke before returning to the DC area. This experience was far short of my usual experience at this Sheraton. As an spg member, I used cash and points to enjoy two nights with doggy in tow. To my surprise the hotel was at capacity with folks and dogs due to the power outages in the Roanoke area. While I sympathize with and applaud the hotel for accommodating so many people and dogs, I have to say I was disgusted with my room. The carpet had many soiled spots, the room reaked of urine, there were red smudges on the bathroom floor and on the side of the bathtub (i hope not blood) and there were no wash cloths in the bathroom. While I didn't complain, I did ask for at least a wash cloth; covered up the carpet stains with puppy pads; and covered the bathroom smudges (on the floor with a towel). The wash cloths were delivered by a very friendly person after I called back after waiting 3 hours. The staff was, as usual, friendly except for a couple of workers complaining about the number of dogs at the hotel and wondering out loud if this experience would make Sheraton revisit their dog policy (they were standing by the bridge discussing this as I arrived with my dog in tow). I travel often for business and pleasure and have never not left a tip for the cleaning staff. But this time I didn't and don't feel bad because I don't believe they did their jobs prior to my arrival. Again, I applaud Sheraton for giving the folks and dogs (without power) a cool place to stay but am disappointed with my shabby room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1stReview465
Dear 1stReview465,
I was disappointed to read your comments on Tripdvisor regarding your stay here at the Sheraton. We are in the process of a Spring/Summer cleaning so as to correct the issues you encountered during your stay. We did in fact take on quite a few pets during the storm, as many local residents were without power for up to six days in extremely hot weather. I hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us on your next trip through the Roanoke Valley.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Midway stopping point for my wife and I from New Jersey to South Carolina. Reached Roanaoke about 5pm the day after the severe storms passed through the area. The Sheraton was the only hotel that had power and I mean full power. Considering the circumstances and full capacity, the check in staff and restaurant workers were very accommodating. We enjoyed a nice dinner sitting at the bar at Shulas and Particulalry enjoyed the service of the bar staff.....very service oriented. I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and forgot how much I liked it. The rooms are a good size, clean and the beds are very comfortable. This hotel sits about 5 mins off route 81 so it's an easy on and off the highway. I stay in a lot of hotels and highly recommend this one. As with most Starwood Hotels, , it is a pet friendly. We were on the 7th floor and did not hear any barking during the night. Per a previous review, nice idea to keep pets all on one floor. Special thanks to manager for seeing me in the hallway on way out and going out of his way to let me know that the gas station next door now had power and was in working order.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Roanoke Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Checkingin10,
I hope you made South Carolina without incident and plenty of fuel. And thank you for the nice post to TripAdvisor. Under the circumstances, I think overall our associates did a great job, and comments such as yours go along way.
Thank you again, and safe travels.