“Missed potential”

Extended Stay America - Roanoke - Airport
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My roommate and I knew we were in trouble when we could smell the smoke through the door before opening the door to our room. I'm not sure if the planner for our group booked non-smoking rooms for everyone in our group; our room did not have "no smoking" signs but other rooms did (but they smelled of smoke as well). One of our windows wouldn't open so airing out the room didn't work so well. It's also "stink bug" season in VA; but they were hidden all over the room - in nooks and crannies like the curtains (I scooped over 10 off of the curtains) which lead me to think that maybe the cleaning crew is not as thorough as they could/should be.

The bed was pretty comfy. The bathroom and kitchette appeared fairly clean but we were not there long enough to use the kitchen.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Exterior was nice, parking lot picked up, nice landscape, convenient area. Those were the positives.

Room was in disrepair, lights no bulbs, strong odor, flies and small gnats. Siverware drawer was dirty, refrigerator was dirty, counter top heavily marred and burned. Microwave didn't function well, one stove burner was so out of position it couldn't be used. It isn't that it is an older facility, just one that is not maintained and it appears that no one cares that it is a very poor representation of the Extended Stay brand.

In speaking with other guests, it was not just our room that was in this condition.

The desk staff were pleasant and efficient at check in.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before signing, checks lights and appliances
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PBGVlady
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Zero sound insulation in between rooms, woken up by neighbors & can hear their tv's, their water running etc. Air conditioner makes a screeching noise every 30 minutes or so. Kitchen had food caked on the stove & microwave.One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank poppy3456
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The room was clean, the location was good, But if you want quite this is not the place, you can hear your neighbor every move. They shut the door and it like the building is going to fall down. Would I stay there again, maybe if this is the only place. I went as a group and got a great price. Maybe or maybe not. Good luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2013

For my husband's birthday, we decided to visit Roanoke, a favorite city of ours. He wanted to stay at the Hotel Roanoke. A little big pricey for our budget, so I suggested we find another place. Should have listened to him. He was so tired from driving that he booked the room quickly and didn't check it out. We just stored our luggage and went back out to go get something to eat. What a mistake. The bedroom/kitchen area seemed fine, but he should have checked the bathroom. It was a handicapped accessible room, which we thought would be alright, but the shower area was awful. Mold on the walls by the floors. A bit of bleach would have been easy enough fix and the wooden bench in the shower should be removed. Who in their right mind would sit on that? Again, it should be removed or replaced. Never, ever again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or at least check out the rooms in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Roanoke - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that the bathroom in your room was not cleaned properly. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is deep cleaning your room and working to improve our cleaning procedures moving forward.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at roa@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Needed a block of rooms to attend college graduation for only one night at a reasonable price. Though 30-45 minutes away, this satisfied the criteria. Bethany at the front desk was pleasant and efficient in satisfying our multiple billing needs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Roanoke - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. I am so proud to know that Bethany provided you both pleasant and efficient service during your stay with us. We hope you had a great time at the College Graduation you were in town for!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I was a bit scared after some of the reviews. Have stayed there before, no issues and was there on business again. Room was clean again, everything in working order, bed comfortable. Only issue is overall noise level. The walls really are not well sound insulated and you can hear EVERYTHING. If you are a light sleeper think twice. Highway noise was the biggest issue for me although there were some loud TVs and conversations at times. Felt like I was waking up to a semi about to run me down.... I had tried to run the AC fan to drown the noise with little success. Roasted myself the first night and the fan alone wasnt loud enough white noise. Staff was polite and professional. Breakfast was minimal but functional, dont expect the amount of variety of some of the larger 2-3 star chains.

I would probably stay there again. It was considerably less expensive than the normal chains I stay with. Hotels have been considerably overpriced in Roanoke on my stays there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Roanoke - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We appreciate you letting us know that the noise level in your room was uncomfortable. We are sorry for this issue, and in the future we will do our very best to find a quieter area of the hotel for your stay. Still, we are happy to read that we provided you with a clean and comfortable room.