“The other Super 8 is better”
Review of Super 8 Roanoke VA

Super 8 Roanoke VA
Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Richmond, VA
“The other Super 8 is better”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This is in Daleville, about 3 miles east of Roanoke on I-81. The remodeling is finished, and it's gorgeous. A great deal for $59 with AARP discount, $66 without (King size bed). Only about 3 miles outside Roanoke. I actually found it by accident. I was looking for the Super 8 on south 220, and accidentally turned on north 220. Lucky accident. If you're wanting to stay anywhere near Roanoke, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tbarker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Needed to get 2 rooms for a quick overnight stay to attend a funeral. I did not want to spend alot of money, but I did not want to subject my family to unsanitary conditions, an unsafe location, a long drive, etc.etc. I did alot of last-minute research to avoid all of these conditions, including reading the reviews of alternatives on TripAdvisor. I decided that the Super8 was my best option (i.e., not cheapest but...definitely a ways from other options). If all you want/need is an inexpensive, conveniently close to center of Roanoke, clean, safe place to stay then this is the place!!!

I would recommend.

Pros: inexpensive, clean, close in, safe

Cons: breakfast is definitely bare-bones (bagel, muffin, juice, cereal)

• Liked — Price/Value
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank 1-spidermonkey-1
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2008

The front desk staff was fantastic. Location is very convenient. Has far more amenities than it should (though I booked far in advance online and supposedly got a really good deal): wireless internet, free continental breakfast, fridge, microwave, safe, hairdryer... Unfortunately, the hallway smelled of smoke and my non-smoking room stank of fried chicken and something else, possibly from the Waffle House next door. Not totally unpleasant but definitely made me alternately hungry and then ech.

• Liked — All the amenities I need!
  • Disliked — The smell!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Indianapolis
Reviewed May 11, 2008

My main complaint: Weird hairs on towels and bathtub. As a result, did not shower. Bathroom just wasn't clean.

Otherwise, you could do worse. The place smelled a little stuffy, but the room was fairly cosy, with a nice dumpy armchair and reasonably comfortable bed. They had a nice big TV with lots of channels and the wireless Internet worked fine.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank skyspring102
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 29, 2007

I was traveling with a small dog and this hotel allows pets so I was a little nervous about staying here, but it was ok.
The room was 2 beds non smoking and the room had an iron/board, fridge, microwave. It was furnished pretty good and it was clean. I usually stay at Holiday Inn's or Hamptons but for a hotel that allows pets you can't go wrong with this Super 8.

• Liked — Quality of the room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank mrjump25
Amelia, VA
Reviewed August 23, 2007

My hubby and I needed a reasonably priced room for an overnight stay enroute to Tn. This was the most resonable "chain" hotel we found in that area. The staff was courteous and the room was clean and adequate for what we paid. There is a waffle house next door and a great mexican restaurant across from the entrance (which I highly recommend). The "power breakfast" at Super 8 was coffee,english muffins and cereal. Overall, this was a good experience for us folks on a budget! The only part about staying in a hotel is the noise from parking lot traffic and those on the floor above you who stay up until after midnight .

• Liked — restaurants w/in walking distance
  • Disliked — noise from overhead occupants and parking lot....not mgmt's fault though
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank homeschoolscool
US
Reviewed May 29, 2007

This is an older Super 8 not far from the airport or the mall off Valley View and it shows.

The first room we got was nasty: spider webs on the wall, strange pill on the recliner, old mattress, very shabby looking, foul smelling room. We planned to cancel our reservation and look for something else in the area (e.g. nice looking Knights Inn next door, what used to be Quality Inn, was advertising 37.50 per room; also up the hill there is Hampton Inn and new Quality Inn). The very nice front desk clerk offered us a new room, and it was like night and day: new paint, carpet, mattress, nice. When the clerk also knocked off 15% off our reservation price, we decided to stay.

The breakfast was a joke. We had a choice of couple of bagels, ½ dozen of small Danishes, some milk and boxed kid’s juice. There is no place to sit (there are no tables; you take the food to your room), so we decided to skip it. So much for the continental breakfast.

If you like to sleep with windows open (weather permitting) ask for the room facing the hill. Our room was south facing (parking) and we were awaken early by delivery truck to Waffle House.

This Super 8 has Pride designation on the corporate website. Obviously, this designation has lost any meaning, as this place is very, very average.

In hindsight, we should have moved on, as there are plenty of nicer places in Roanoke area for the same money we paid or even less, especially if you use the Coupon Saver book.

• Stayed May 2007
2 Thank KHL12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Motel 6 Roanoke
#21 of 40 in Roanoke
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Best Western Plus Inn at Valley View
La Quinta Inn Roanoke Salem

Been to Super 8 Roanoke VA? Share your experiences!