“Convenient... but shopworn”

Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
“Convenient... but shopworn”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here on our way to Tennessee for vacation. As a member of Hilton Honors, I am used to a certain standard of quality from Hampton Inns and this one is not up to it. The sink in our bathroom was cracked and the decor in the room (room 228) looked like it had seen better days. The room needs a complete make over. A traveler would be better off staying at another of the many hotels off I-81 in areas like Harrisonburg or Staunton which are nearby. We will pass on this Hampton Inn on our way back from Tennessee.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at the HIR for one night for a business meeting. The hotel is conveniently located off the 81 and is in a quiet area. Check in was not a problem and staff was friendly. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was appropriately sized as well. Bed was comfortable for a good night's rest. The room was quiet and everything was functional in the room. While the hotel is a little older than some of its compatriots, I did not notice any dirty carpets or other evidence of dingy upkeep. Didnt use the fitness room or the pool.
The only issue that prevented me from giving a higher rating was, that there was cigarette smoke in the hallways on the 3rd floor, although I could not smell it in my room.

Abingdon, Virginia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am a loyal Hampton Inn customer, use it exclusively when I travel on business (2 weeks a month). This Hampton was old and dirty. I just couldn't get past the dirty, stained carpets. It appeared they hadn't been cleaned in a long, long time. The bed mattress was pretty bad as well. I was in a King Bed and one side was lower than the other, so I kept rolling to that side. It was just worn out and needed replacing. Free breakfast was the normal Hampton Inn stuff, which I do like. Fitness room was in good condition, but the TV's didn't work well in the Fitness room. I felt that I was in an old, run down hampton that either needs a complete upgrade or maybe they should just build a new one (like they are doing in most places). Won't stay here again, will try either the Hampton Inn in Salem, VA or the Doubletree in downtown Roanoke for future stays.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Overall the hotel was acceptable but below the standard usually experienced at Hampton. The carpets in the hallways and guest room appeared badly soiled. I took a damp wash cloth and rubbed across the carpent in the guest room. It was "black" from dirt. We were afraid to step on the carpent without shows. Move on down the road. You will be glad you did.

Room Tip: Don stay here!
Jamestown NC, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Checking in the clerk was not friendly. Requested non-smoking when I reserved room. Put on 3rd floor non-smoking and room smelled badly of smoke. Whole 3rd floor smells badly of smoke. Don't go there if you can't handle smoke!! Asked for another room and with a aggravated look, the clerk gave us one on the 2nd floor. We then find out that the whole 2nd floor was non-smoking. Wish we were told that in the first place so we wouldn't of had to move. Surprised to see no microwave in room. Refrig made gurgle noises constantly. Bathroom vent was extremely dusty. Looks like it was never cleaned. The towels were cleaned, but they were the oldest worn out towels we have ever seen in a hotel. The breakfast was good thank goodness! On the whole, the staff there was not friendly at all. Would never stay in that Hampton Inn again.

1 Thank Theresa R
Sarasota, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Everything about our stay was excellent. Front desk staff was competent and helpful but not particularly friendly. However, this is not that big a deal. We noticed the same thing at other Hampton stops.

Round Hill, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We usually stay here after games at VT. It is consistently good and is on our way home. I really don't need to say anything else but there is a 200 character minimum :). We've tried the super8 nearby that is cheaper but the rooms aren't clean. We really prefer Hampton as a whole anyway.