All reviewshollins universityroom was cleantypical hamptonoff the highwaystaff was friendlyeasy accessrestaurants in the areaindoor poolwould stay againcookiesbusiness centerconvenient locationfree breakfastfirst floorone night staynice stayfitness center
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were on our way to NC from NJ and used Roanoke as our stop to get some rest. I used Trip Adviser and the AAA website to find a hotel in the area. This fit the bill. We did have a reservation that I made a week previous. I was traveling with my 16 year old daughter and we had a double. Room was clean, beds were very comfortable. Room walls were pretty solid so didn't hear noise. The day we were there the hotel was filled with kids and family as there appeared to be sports event going on in the area. They had a small pool inside and it was being used by the kids and there was also a small work out area right off the pool. The food in the a.m. buffet was ok. The only downside was the lack of non-fast food restaurants near the hotel. There is a McDonalds across the street. I would definitely stop there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this hotel. The room was spacious, clean and well maintained. The hotel was friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was good and fully stocked. Highly recommend this hotel if you find yourself in the Roanoke area.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Nice hotel. Even though it is close to I-81, there is not a lot of truck noise. Staff was friendly. Food very good at the breakfast bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Staying here for one night as it is the halfway point for a summer trip to the Smoky Mountains.

For starters, this location is right at the corner of I-81, so it's a good option for a quick late stop if you need some sleep on a road trip and don't want to leave the highway.

My problems with this place are with maintenance and cleanliness.

First off, the room had an old wet dog smell. Very musty. Sort of like carpets have not been cleaned in a long time. Also noticed a lot of cobwebs in the corner as well as candy wrappers behind a chair left by previous occupant. Room was a little beat up too.. Scratches all over the wall by the TV is a bit of an eyesore.

Secondly, the pool area. Half the lights don't work in the pool area, and on top of that all the under water pool lights are burned out. You can't see the bottom of a 3' to 5' hotel? Terrible maintenance practices and very unsafe I might add. SEVERAL people we were in the pool are with on our visit mentioned this. There were also no towels available in the pool area. We all had to go to the front desk and ask for pool towels?

Staff overall was pleasant. Cookies put out in the evening were good and fresh coffee was available even at 8 PM.

Probably won't stay here again. I prefer a good clean and fresh smelling room and this place did not offer that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ravenboy
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was dissapointed with this Hampton Inn because the room were not at the standard I've come to expect from this franchise. I was first given Rm 114 which smelled musty/mouldy. Since I rejected this room I was told that the hotel was booked up there was only one other room available. This room has been sprayed with some overpowering perfume to mask the musty/mouldy smell. Since it was approaching midnight I put up with this sub-par room but I will never stay here again.

On the bright side, folks at the front desk were quite nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business