“Good Spot for Last Minute”

Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Nice hotel. Even though it is close to I-81, there is not a lot of truck noise. Staff was friendly. Food very good at the breakfast bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Staying here for one night as it is the halfway point for a summer trip to the Smoky Mountains.

For starters, this location is right at the corner of I-81, so it's a good option for a quick late stop if you need some sleep on a road trip and don't want to leave the highway.

My problems with this place are with maintenance and cleanliness.

First off, the room had an old wet dog smell. Very musty. Sort of like carpets have not been cleaned in a long time. Also noticed a lot of cobwebs in the corner as well as candy wrappers behind a chair left by previous occupant. Room was a little beat up too.. Scratches all over the wall by the TV is a bit of an eyesore.

Secondly, the pool area. Half the lights don't work in the pool area, and on top of that all the under water pool lights are burned out. You can't see the bottom of a 3' to 5' hotel? Terrible maintenance practices and very unsafe I might add. SEVERAL people we were in the pool are with on our visit mentioned this. There were also no towels available in the pool area. We all had to go to the front desk and ask for pool towels?

Staff overall was pleasant. Cookies put out in the evening were good and fresh coffee was available even at 8 PM.

Probably won't stay here again. I prefer a good clean and fresh smelling room and this place did not offer that.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ravenboy
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I was dissapointed with this Hampton Inn because the room were not at the standard I've come to expect from this franchise. I was first given Rm 114 which smelled musty/mouldy. Since I rejected this room I was told that the hotel was booked up there was only one other room available. This room has been sprayed with some overpowering perfume to mask the musty/mouldy smell. Since it was approaching midnight I put up with this sub-par room but I will never stay here again.

On the bright side, folks at the front desk were quite nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2012

good clean lodging and convenient to I-81. Rooms are quiet and spacious. Front desk staff could have been dressed a bit more professionally but we were checked in without a problem. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Not only was the property (Hotel) clean - the area around it was beautiful. The room was excellent and breakfast was tasty. The staff was helpful with recommending a place to eat - which was an added treat. I will always stay there while in the area

Room Tip: Second floor was quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Spent one Saturday night, after a long drive. The hotel was right off I-81, very convenient with gas stations next door and restaurants nearby. Our room was clean and quiet and the front desk was very helpful. The next morning we ate the continental breakfest and then left on our way.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed one night - lobby smelled funky, room funkier. Carpet was filthy, we were so glad to leave the next morning

Room Tip: Go on down the road and find another place
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple