All reviews hollins university room was clean typical hampton off the highway staff was friendly easy access restaurants in the area indoor pool would stay again cookies business center convenient location free breakfast first floor one night stay nice stay fitness center
Reviewed September 29, 2010

The Hampton Inn on Plantation Road is clean and attractive, but I only recommend it for very sound sleepers. Our king deluxe room with whirlpool bath is spacious, clean, and comfortable. An upholstered chair with ottoman, desk, and chair are convenient. The whirlpool tub is great after a long drive. (Note to housekeeping: the jet spray nozzles need to be cleaned when you clean the tub.) A wet bar with microwave and small refrigerator is an added convenience in the deluxe room. The bathroom is roomy and clean. The room and bath are very nice.

The negative attribute of this room is the Noise. We heard a rumbling noise all night long. The rumble could not be heard outside the hotel, so the noise had to be something inside the hotel. Additionally, trucks traveled down the road out front all night. I wish I could say that the heat and air unit is quiet, but even with the fan speed set on low speed, the sound of the force of air is very noticeable when the unit activates. We had hoped to be able to just run the fan all night without cooling for white noise, but this unit does not have a fan only setting. In all fairness, the AC unit might not have been an issue if there had been no rumbling and road noises. We had specifically requested a Quiet room in our reservation. At check in, we commented to the desk clerk about the fact that we were being given a room facing the highway. His reply was that all the deluxe rooms are on the front and that no one ever has a complaint about noise. (I think he doesn’t hear any complaints because he’s gone the next morning when guests are checking out.)

The breakfast and dining room amenities are as good as we expect at Hampton Inn. The breakfast hostess is cheerful, and she stays busy keeping the food choices available. Scrambled eggs and sausage are the hot items available for the morning of our stay. The area is clean and attractive.

Was the value right for the price paid? For us, no. Even with an AAA or AARP discount, the price is about $10 more than it should be compared to similar hotels. Add that to the lost sleep, and I’m not happy with the cost/value ratio. The room and bath are very nice, and I would give this hotel a 4-star rating if it weren’t for the noise. We won’t recommend this hotel, and we won’t stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RetiredTravelerTN
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stopped here on a vacation trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Arrived without a reservation, but they had rooms available. The desk clerk - identified on my bill as Josh, a middle aged man - acted like he didn't know what he was doing. I explained that we were Hilton Honors members, and asked if he could look up our number before booking us so I would get credit for the stay. We had done this the night before at another Hilton Hotel with no problem. My first name is four letters long, very simple, very easy to understand. I spelled it for him three times, and three times he got it wrong when he repeated it to me. Finally he asked if I could get my receipt from the night before so he could find the number on there. I went to the car - a car we'd been travelling in for two days, packed with suitcases, a cooler, picnic items, etc. - and could not quickly produce the receipt. I went back in, and he said I could just take care of all that later by calling the Honors program myself. I went to the car to start loading it up, and my husband told me later when I'd gone to look for the receipt the guy said, "I can't hear much, my sinuses are bothering me". And then there is the fact he typed with one finger. People were stacking up waiting to be checked in while he hunted and pecked.

Other than that unpleasant little scenario, the stay was very nice. The beds were comfortable, room was clean and quiet, everything in working order.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dellicious
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Very nice, clean atmosphere, with a very comfortable bed I didn't want to get out of! Just so everyone knows, the renovations to the hotel appear to be finished. I had a talk with a very nice night auditor named Stanley, and he told me that they had added alot of rooms to the hotel during the renovations, and that it was pretty extensive. I stayed here on a whim to get off the highway, and it was much better than I was hoping. Wish there had been a little more restuarantAll of the staff I talked to were very professional, and willing to help out when necessary. I would suggest this hotel if you are in the Roanoke area, or driving through Virginia on I-81 and need a good "halfway" point to stop at.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We drove to GA from Nova Scotia in October, 2009. We stopped in Roanoke on night 2 of our journey and went to the Hampton Inn at the I-81 exit. Nice, standard Hampton Inn but this one was undergoing renovations. The deskclerk was a little less than helpful and rather rude, I thought. Most folks in VA are generally quite nice but he must have been the exception. Our room was enormous! It had a little kitchen area and a huge room with couch, chairs and a king bed. All in all very luxe! We went to the Mexican restaurant next door for supper and had a good nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was not the usual Hampton Inn standard as the dining room was under reno. We were all crammed into a small room and the tables were all tight together. Not the best arrangement.
4 nights later we were on our way back home and stopped here again. They were apparently full and when my husband mentioned we had stayed here 4 nights earlier the same deskclerk snarled "Well I see about a thousand people a day so how do you think I would remember you?" Rude! We went next door to the Marriot, were welcomed very warmly and we had a nice stay there. We went out to eat at a Keg, that night.
I'm sure the Hampton Inn here will be very nice when the reno's are done and we would probably stay there again. Buddy at the desk on the evening shift ( older guy) needs an attitude adjustment or retirement. Everyone else working there was nice.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nsjetsetters
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Common areas unsatisfactory. Under construction and inconvenient to get to room.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple