“Nice hotel for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81

Hampton Inn Roanoke / Hollins / I-81
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Nashville
“Nice hotel for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My family and I stayed here on our way to Richmond and I have to say that this was the best hotel of the entire trip. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a desk, nice chair and ottoman and a pretty comfortable bed. It had inside hallways and nice-sized bathrooms. I have a 3 month old so I tend to be very picky when it comes to hotels but I was extremely comfortable here. The only reason that I am ranking them "above average" instead of "excellent" is simply because at times the staff at the front desk would take a while to get to you. I myself had to wait for a few minutes on someone to assist me (they were in the back somewhere) and I also viewed another customer waiting at the front desk for someone to assist him. However, I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

In a quiet location. Our King rm had easy chair & ottoman, floor lamp, work desk with creaky straight back chair, poor TV reception, peeling wallpaper in corner of room and in the bathroom. Good quiet A/C. Exercise room had 2 poor treadmills.

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — TV reception, creaky chair, peeling wallpaper, lousy treadmills
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank BigTXN
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

The positive aspects of this hotel are its close location to both I-81 and Roanoke and the refrigerator and microwave in the room which helps me save money on business trips. The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the Hilton style curved shower rod that keeps the curtain from flapping against me is always appreciated. This property appears to be converted from a Holiday inn. All of the rooms that I saw were outside access but that is actually a plus as far as I am concerned. You can park very close to your door and not have to walk up and down interior corridors weaving around cleaning personnel and room service trays. The bed linens are clean as are the towels and wash cloths but those appear to be handed down from other Hilton properties and washed often enough for the tags to have faded indicating how often they have been used. The in-room wireless Internet is free and VERY fast. I will stay here every time I visit Roanoke as it is much nicer than the other Roanoke hotel properties. The worst part about the room is the air conditioner. It works very well but does not have a selector switch that allows the fan to keep air moving in the room with the AC off. You either get AC or you get nothing and the AC is right next to the table where you work so desk top workers freeze while others in the room feel comfortable.

• Liked — Price, Refrigerator & Microwave, Location
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank pittston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the Virginia Bar Exam. I was anxious about the commute into downtown, but it was very easy and only took about 10 minutes -- traffic moved well and everything.

The hotel itself was quite pleasant. When I checked in, I was initially dismayed to learn that they did not have any king bed rooms available as I had booked (despite checking in at 3:30 pm) -- however, the front desk person immediately offered me a rate discount to make up for giving me a two double bed room instead. I was very pleased and also very surprised by their willingness to try to make things right -- in other hotels where this problem has occurred, I got mostly a shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well." A few minutes after reaching my room, that same front desk person called me -- I had mentioned that I was taking the bar exam, and he realized he had put me in a room nearby a middle school sports team. He offered to move me to a different floor away from them so that they would not interfere with my ability to sleep or study. I was extremely impressed by his thoughtfulness and initiative of offering to move me after check-in.

Room was clean and comfortable. This Hampton Inn has upgraded their beds from the traditional polyester bedcovers to nice cotton duvets and throw pillows. My only complaint with the room was the air conditioner -- while effective in cooling the room, there was no way to make it so that the fan ran continuously. Instead, the air conditioner switched on and off every so often, which bothered me as I was trying to fall asleep (once I fell asleep, however, it did not wake me up).

Breakfast was fine. Good selection of breads, pastries, cereals, and fruit. Also a hot option every day -- the french toast was tasty, but the eggs were not that great. Go for the biscuits and gravy instead.

In any case, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and was extremely impressed by the staff. Would recommend.

• Liked — Staff, cleanliness, beds, free wireless Internet
  • Disliked — Slightly noisy air conditioners
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank blondedawn
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

My husband, 9 month old son and I stayed here on our way to Atlanta to visit family. Decent hotel. Room was clean. The staff was okay. Nothing special, but I wouldn't expect anything from a travel hotel. It did have an indoor pool, but I did not use it. Would recommned!

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank ambudd
Perkasie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed in this hotel both to and from a trip to Georgia. This hotel is right off of Route 81 so the location was great. I read another review of this hotel and all I can say is that the other review was not for this hotel. This hotel has indoor hallways and was not anything like the other review. It has an indoor pool which was quite large, however, there was no hot tub with the pool. That was disappointing but since we were only there for one night, it was ok. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who is traveling up or down Route 81!

4 Thank clvogt
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Given the price of this room ($80 per night) I was surprised to see how sub par this was for a Hampton Inn.

This is a motor inn, all rooms open onto the parking lots. When I tried to check in, two staffers were on the phone and the general manager stood between them. She did not greet me or look at me. I had to wait until one of the staffers finished her phone call before they acknowledged me. When I checked into the room they gave me, it was sweltering as the AC had been turned off all day and it was over 100 degrees outside. I had to ask the front desk clerk to move me to another room. What a hassle.

The rooms are dreary with half windows; the curtains have to be closed at all times for privacy; the mattress was hard and uncomfortable, the pillows lumpy.

The worst was that the outlet for the coffee maker and the hair dryer did not work. I moved the coffee maker to another outlet but had to go to work with wet hair.

The only saving grace is that rooms are clean and the breakfast is okay.

I would not stay here again and will think twice about staying at any other Hampton Inns in other places given this experience.

Stayed July 2005