“Did the job!”

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Harrisonburg, VA
“Did the job!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

We stayed here on a weekend trip for hubby's recertification -- grabbed a great deal on Priceline. Had a king sized no-smoking room; they let us check in three hours early, which was lovely, as well as the free wi-fi. Recently renovated, though if you're nitpicking, you'll find some finishes not quite up to par. It presents well, and is very nice -- the 'pillow menu' is an interesting tweak that we did not have the opportunity to try. The hotel has many amenities -- business center, outdoor pool, fitness center, onsite restaurant -- which we did not use, as well as a mall within reasonable (though not side-walked) walking distance. Had a small quibble with the check-in staff in that they did not point out where our room was or where the closest parking space was -- not a big thing, but I expected better from a full-service HI property. All in all, we would stay her again, especially given the price paid.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

I stayed here a couple nights for business and was thrilled to discover that the entire hotel was remodeled, top to bottom, within the last two weeks. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room was gorgeous. I am normally a light sleeper but I slept like a baby in this room. The fridge and microwave were very nice as there is a grocery store within walking distance and you can save quite a bit of money by buying your own groceries and cooking in your room. The room was spotless and the walls must be thick because I never heard a peep from any other rooms, even though I know there were people staying in these rooms.

The maid who seemed to be responsible for the entire hall where I was staying was very dedicated to her job. Even though I had my "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door as I did not need anything in my room, she asked me in passing in hall to let her know if there was anything at all that I needed. She also greeted me very warmly and asked me how my day was going as she was walking in the front door to report to work, before she even knew I was staying on the hall she was responsible for.

If you are a government employee, you can book this room within your per diem, which can be a challenge sometimes.

The location was very convenient to just about anything, as it was right off of I-581.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Vienna, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

This was an awful Holiday Inn. The bathroom was small and old. The toilet didn't flush properly, the bathtub wouldn't drain, the wallpaper was peeling off in lots of places. The room smelled smoky even though we requested a non-smoking room. One night a huge group came in at 2:30am making an unbelievable racket and the staff did nothing to stop them though they must have heard them down the hall.

The location was the only saving grace. But, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Chester, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We needed to be in Blacksburg, but everything was booked. This hotel is about one hour away. The room was large and clean. The pillows were hard and uncomfortable though. The front desk staff at night didn't know much, but staff during the day were more helpful. We booked on Priceline and got an unbelievable rate of $70/night. We're priority club members and special services for members were disappointing. There's a cocktail reception on week nights that the front desk staff forgot to tell us about. The free breakfast (only available for priority club members) was a disgrace - two hard bagels that you can warm up and two selections of cereal. We left and ate at the restaurant. I'd stay away from eating at the hotel - there are lots of restaurant choices nearby. I'd stay here again if I get a great rate.

• Liked — Excellent rate on Priceline and large clean room
  • Disliked — Free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Macon, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

My wife and I came to Roanoke for a short get-away to celebrate our 43rd anniversary. After reading many reviews we chose this hotel for location near shopping, the Parkway, and fairly easy to get to downtown. I had arranged in advance for a local day spa to give my wife a massage,etc for the first afternoon. So, I wanted to check-in early,if possible , so I could read and relax while she was at the spa. On arrival the woman at the front deskwas less than welcoming,and said my room wouldn't be raedy for several hours(I was early) but no greeting, no "I'm sorry, but can you come back in a little while?" I turned to leave , and she got a phone call so I asked the young man at the desk with her how tro get to the Visitors Bureau. He had never heard of it, and didn't make any effort to help me find out where it was located. With that start, when I got to the room, there was no liner in the ice bucket, and the ice machine on floor #3 didn't work and I had to work my way through the renovations in progress on #4 to retrieve a bucket of ice.Otherwise, the room is adequate, however the carpet in the hallways is filthy. WE left after the first night to stay elsewhere. I was very disappointed after reading pretty positive reviews. I wouldn't return there. Staff needs to be reminded that the GUESTS are the reason they are employed,not a nuisance to be endured.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — staff attitude and overall cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

I attended a business meeting at this hotel and I was very impressed. The rooms were comfortable and large and I loved the micro fridge! The staff was very nice to me and made me feel welcome. The rooms were clean and I enjoyed the outdoor pool and the restaurant. I also used the exercise equipment and everything worked! The location is excellent and I will stay there every time I go back to Roanoke!

• Liked — The rooms and the location of the hotel.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2008

My colleague and I checked in to two adjoining rooms and went to our meetings. When we returned in the late evening and went to our rooms for the first time we found our rooms to be filty. We contacted the front desk were told that the hotel was fully booked (not the truth) and there was no rooms to switch to. The desk clerk claimed that they would write our complaint down in their log. Being new to town, with bad weather and the late hour we had no choice but to stay. The dust in the room was so thick on surfaces, moulding and headboards, spilled bottles of shampoo lay opened in the shower. Yuck. We could not sleep in the room and had a fitful night's sleep, fearful of touching anything in the dirty room. On checking out we also lodged a complaint. Upon returning after our business trip we placed many phone calls to the front deak manager and the owner Bhu Pesh Patel that went unanswered for weeks. When we finally reached the man he told us that he could not help us because there was nothing listed in their log book. Someone is clearly asleep at this hotel and it isn't the guests. If you have a choice- book somewhere else.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business