“For $99 a night in Roanoke, we expected much better.”

Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Roanoke
Reviewed March 3, 2009

This was an awful Holiday Inn. The bathroom was small and old. The toilet didn't flush properly, the bathtub wouldn't drain, the wallpaper was peeling off in lots of places. The room smelled smoky even though we requested a non-smoking room. One night a huge group came in at 2:30am making an unbelievable racket and the staff did nothing to stop them though they must have heard them down the hall.

The location was the only saving grace. But, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood

Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night. We needed to be in Blacksburg, but everything was booked. This hotel is about one hour away. The room was large and clean. The pillows were hard and uncomfortable though. The front desk staff at night didn't know much, but staff during the day were more helpful. We booked on Priceline and got an unbelievable rate of $70/night. We're priority club members and special services for members were disappointing. There's a cocktail reception on week nights that the front desk staff forgot to tell us about. The free breakfast (only available for priority club members) was a disgrace - two hard bagels that you can warm up and two selections of cereal. We left and ate at the restaurant. I'd stay away from eating at the hotel - there are lots of restaurant choices nearby. I'd stay here again if I get a great rate.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My wife and I came to Roanoke for a short get-away to celebrate our 43rd anniversary. After reading many reviews we chose this hotel for location near shopping, the Parkway, and fairly easy to get to downtown. I had arranged in advance for a local day spa to give my wife a massage,etc for the first afternoon. So, I wanted to check-in early,if possible , so I could read and relax while she was at the spa. On arrival the woman at the front deskwas less than welcoming,and said my room wouldn't be raedy for several hours(I was early) but no greeting, no "I'm sorry, but can you come back in a little while?" I turned to leave , and she got a phone call so I asked the young man at the desk with her how tro get to the Visitors Bureau. He had never heard of it, and didn't make any effort to help me find out where it was located. With that start, when I got to the room, there was no liner in the ice bucket, and the ice machine on floor #3 didn't work and I had to work my way through the renovations in progress on #4 to retrieve a bucket of ice.Otherwise, the room is adequate, however the carpet in the hallways is filthy. WE left after the first night to stay elsewhere. I was very disappointed after reading pretty positive reviews. I wouldn't return there. Staff needs to be reminded that the GUESTS are the reason they are employed,not a nuisance to be endured.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I attended a business meeting at this hotel and I was very impressed. The rooms were comfortable and large and I loved the micro fridge! The staff was very nice to me and made me feel welcome. The rooms were clean and I enjoyed the outdoor pool and the restaurant. I also used the exercise equipment and everything worked! The location is excellent and I will stay there every time I go back to Roanoke!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My colleague and I checked in to two adjoining rooms and went to our meetings. When we returned in the late evening and went to our rooms for the first time we found our rooms to be filty. We contacted the front desk were told that the hotel was fully booked (not the truth) and there was no rooms to switch to. The desk clerk claimed that they would write our complaint down in their log. Being new to town, with bad weather and the late hour we had no choice but to stay. The dust in the room was so thick on surfaces, moulding and headboards, spilled bottles of shampoo lay opened in the shower. Yuck. We could not sleep in the room and had a fitful night's sleep, fearful of touching anything in the dirty room. On checking out we also lodged a complaint. Upon returning after our business trip we placed many phone calls to the front deak manager and the owner Bhu Pesh Patel that went unanswered for weeks. When we finally reached the man he told us that he could not help us because there was nothing listed in their log book. Someone is clearly asleep at this hotel and it isn't the guests. If you have a choice- book somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The hotel was very nice. We came for a convention, so we only got to stay 2 nights. When we first walked in, I noticed straight ahead a ATM, luckily, and the front desk. To the left was a nice seating area with leather couches and a big screen TV. On your right was a corridor leading to the guest elevator and the business center. They had a cool elevator! It had a glass window on the side so you could actually see out and see what was really happening outside. Cool!!
We stepped out of the elevator and took a very brief walk to our room. We opened the door and checked it out. I put all my stuff on the floor and jumped onto the bed. I grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. By the way, they have LodgeNet. In just a few minutes, we went back down to the 1st floor and explored the rest of the hotel. Very nice for a Holiday Inn. A upscale bar and dining area was just outside the lobby on the left and on your right was the confrence area. It was very nice!!! It also came in handy to have a wonderful complimentary bathroom just outside of the confrence center, which came in hand after drinking 4 full glasses of ice water. Just steps away from the hotel was a FYE Music Store, Food Lion, and the Tanglewood Shopping Center, an indoor mall which was very nice. It featureed many useful stores that came handy on our trip such as the Movie Theater (Carmike Cinema), Staples, AC Moore Crafts, Stein Mart, Applebees, Chick-Fil-A, and JC Penny and Belk, which were both 2 stories. They also had a Gamestop, Steve and Barries, and more!!! Very nice. I soon found myself back at the hotel, laying on the bed for hours at a time watching cartoons and stuff. Very confortable beds, might I add. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Stayed here on a Friday night traveling on business as I do 5 or more nights a week. I stay in this area several nights a month and usually stay at the Holiday Inn Salem at I-81 Exit 137 or the Hampton Inn at Lewis Gale Hospital. I wanted to try this hotel after reading the reviews. Well...as a Priority Club member and a business traveler a Friday night here was a mistake. All the "perks" of priority club (Lounge, Breakfast, etc) only occur for those lucky enough to travel M-Th. I should have know better but I reserved a "standard room" with a "King" bed preference. I ended up with a two double, adjoining room. The room was average with borderline acceptable housekeeping...ran the vacuum and dusted but the out of the way places were not plesant (under TV...corners of bathroom...behind furniture...etc.) The TV was on it's last leg with the red/green colors splitting on the image (kinda felt like I needed 3D glasses!) so I made the mistake of turning the TV to try and find adjustment knobs....yuck!

There was a big convention and lots of noise...the pillows were standard issue...motel 6 style...

The service was ok other than when I requested a single bed room I was reminded of the conference and the fact that they were sold out.

Oh well...it was just one night and I lived to tell about it...but I would recomend the 15 minute drive to the other Holiday Inn or Hampton.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business