“Old and Tired but Servicable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood

Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Roanoke
Alabaster, Alabama
“Old and Tired but Servicable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here one night and for one night, it's not bad. Actually, the rooms are clean and quiet and bed is comfortable with the exception of the horrid Holiday Inn pillows which are rock hard and over-stuffed. Guaranteed neckache the next morning. The hotel itself is tired and a bit run-down. They have tried to update but must have hired a budget contractor as some of the shortcuts they took are laughable. Paint drops everywhere, The front desk crew were friendly but not too professional. One was eating a hamburger while checking us in. I would stay here again as it's ok once you get to your room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay with us. We are always excited to hear from our guests, and your feedback is vital to our ongoing efforts to improve our property. I'm most excited to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our staff and the cleanliness of your room. I would love to introduce myself when you come to stay again and look forward to meeting you, however be prepared as we are getting ready to renovate the exterior of our building and all of our banquet and meeting rooms. You wont even recognize the hotel when you come back, we're all chomping at the bit to get started on it!

Thanks again for your time and your feedback,
Travel safe!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just left Roanoke's Holiday Inn Tanglewood- The staff - ALL staff - housekeeping included - were the nicest. Everyone greeted us each morning and night with a pleasant smile. IT WAS refreshing to see that . This hotel is huge - they have a parking shortage for as large as their hotel is but I would go there again. It was clean - couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Get 5th floor room - MOUNTAIN view - there is no complimentary cereal or muffins unless you are a pr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We have spent a ton of time in training with all of our staff recently and it's nice to see that paying off. We are a fairly large property and we are working on some ideas to make parking easier for our guests. I see that you enjoyed out mountain view rooms, we are settled in the blue ridge and this is the BEST time of year to be here with the change into fall. The view from our fifth floor is indeed breathtaking, it often times even surprises me still. We do have the continental breakfast set up every weekday for our Priority Club Members, but also offer a fantastic buffet meal in our restaurant as well!

Thank you again for your time and for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon!
Travel safely!
Bremen, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was on a bus tour to the Amish Country and our first stop was to spend the night here. The rooms were very nice. Breakfast was served to our group on the fifth floor. The only problem I had was the drink machines that had water were on the first floor. Beds comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope the rest of your trip went well, and I'm very glad that we had the chance to serve your group. Our continental breakfast is served on the 5th floor, and it is available to our club members 5 days a week! Also, we did just finish a room renovation this year, so I'm excited to see that you noticed! Myself and the rest of the managers had a weekly meeting today and I brought up the fact that water is only available on the first floor, we are calling our vendors today to make sure that gets changed so the next time we see you it will be available in every vending machine!

Thank you again for your kind words, travel safe!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Omg this has to be the worst Holiday Inn. It's needs some serious TLC! Frig in room buzzed all night. Some serious carpet cleaning needed. Found someone else's toenails on the floor in my room! The beds left me with lower back pains. I'm sorry but I do not have one good thing to say about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank TheTruthHasBeenTold
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Thesoupnazi88,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We booked our reservations through the Holiday Inn website for a room with a king bed a week before our stay. When we arrived, we were told they only had doubles left. I asked to cancel my room without penalties since they didn't hold the reservation and immediately began looking up other hotels in the area. They immediately found the manager and somehow a king room became available. The hotel is old and shows wear. Wallpaper is peeling off the walls near the elevator. The room was clean but the carpets in the hallways showed lots of stains. For the price, I was disappointed. One night earlier we stayed in Lynchburg at the Hilton Garden Inn, it was only $17 more for the night and was like a palace in comparison to this place. They also had a nice indoor pool and hot tub and their restaurant/bar area was much nicer also. Next time we'll find a Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TerriK770
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear TerriK770,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It is good to know that they were able to provide you with the room type needed. I apologize for not being able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. We have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed. I hope you can give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Apollo Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My company usually has our meetings at the HI on Ordway Drive close to the airport. It's an ok hotel that's a bit older but completely fine for my purposes. They were sold out this last trip so we were booked at the Tanglewood location. Loved the switch! At first I thought it was a brand new hotel but realized later it was just a well refurbished older property that has been maintained really well. Although not a Ritz-Carlton, it had just enough touches of class and decor to make me really pleased. Loved the Priority Club, Club Room for breakfast and my room was large and comfy. It was on the top floor in a "private" kind of area, accessed through 2 french doors. Was a very quiet area of the hotel I guess reserved for Priority Club guests. High ceilings and big windows. Hope to go back. The restaurant also had GREAT food, especially for a hotel. I had delicious shrimp and grits!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Paul W, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Roanoke - Tanglewood, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback, I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We know there are several options around the area for hosting meetings, and we're so glad you chose to try out our facility for your last event. You've noted that you felt as if the hotel was a newer property, We actually did just renovate all of our rooms, and have a renovation planned for our conference facility coming the end of this year!! I hope you'll get a chance to see our banquet rooms after the renovation, you wont even recognize the rooms you were in last time! Also it's nice to see that you enjoyed our restaurant and the Priority Club Lounge, we recently started setting up a free continental for our club members and they really seem to be enjoying it. I will be sure to get a copy of your comments to our restaurant manager and his staff! If you find yourself needing a room in the area again, don't hesitate to call me! Thanks again, and we all hope to see you again soon!!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just wanted to share, and give high praise to the staff at the Holiday Inn Roanoke. I travel a lot in my line of work, and rarely have my expectations been exceeded like they were by the exemplary service provided by the front desk associates at this property. From check in, to sharing local hotspot insight, dining, and ensuring that all facets of my stay were attended to, Krishna and Dana certainly made this road warrior feel more at home. I would highly recommend this property, and look forward to future stays here in my travels.

Room Tip: try to be farther away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank promojeff
Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, it's always exciting to hear high praise for our staff. We take pride in our service and focus heavily on training our staff to be helpful and informative. I'm glad to see that you plan to be back and would love to introduce myself when you're with us again. I will see to it personally that Dana and Krishna are recognized and rewarded for their excellent work! Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you soon!