“Nice friendly find late night”
Review of Wasabi's

Wasabi's
Ranked #79 of 513 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stop in late after 9pm and was promptly seated by my friendly server, I could not make up my mind so she brought me some hot green tea. It was very taste and not bittier. They have a decent size assortment of things to choose from so I took me a minute to decide. I wanted to rearrange the selection of fish on my sushi , they let me make up my own roll, it was a shrimp and avocado roll with toasted eel on top with the sweet soy sauce drizzled over it , It was very flavorful and a meal in self. Also had a rainbow roll and they let me substitute white tuna for tilapia It was fresh and delicious. Sweet Shrimp and Red Clam they diced for me and mixed with spicy mayo and put into little seaweed paper and rice cups. I usually get scallops this way but this was a good substitute, it was sweet and spicy with a hint of sesame seed to give it a tasted nutty taste. When I finished you could tell they were ready to go but never pushed me to leave. I should have got the name of my waitress, I ran her to death and she gave no complaints. She did a fantastic job and was always handy when you needed her. This was a ten at least as experience goes. There were lot of factor to make this a nightmare, but they handle it without batting an eye. It was one of the nicest dining experiences I have had in a long time. And at that time of the night I don’t expect much. It is located on the downtown square

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hungry for sushi, traditional Japanese cuisine? Go here. Fresh, terrific presentation, delicious. Not a large place, but cozy. Attentive, accomodating service.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Never have I ever had Kobi Beef before. It is everything It should be. Well worth the money. The service needed to be faster but the meal was fantastic.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I love good sushi and sashimi. I'm not talking about the ridiculous sorts of maki rolls you can find all over the place. I'm talking about varieties of fresh, raw fish. To me, finding a good sushi restaurant is an opportunity to try an exotic type of food that is presented in a way that highlights the natural flavor. In my opinion, Wasabi's meets the bill of a great sushi restaurant (despite their bad website).

Wasabi's is located on Market Street in downtown Roanoke, right beside the city's Historic Farmers Market. The Farmers Market serves fresh fruits and vegetables on one side of the street while Wasabi's serves fresh fish on the other side. And although I don't consider Roanoke to be a city that is crazy about sushi, it is tough to get a table at this popular Japanese spot during the weekday lunch hour.

Add the Wasabi
07/29/20110 Comments

I wasn't the first one in my family to discover Wasabi's. As is the case with most sushi restaurants, my dad beat me to the punch. He has been eating sushi and sashimi on a weekly basis for the past 15 years and has tried restaurants all over the country. He ranks Wasabi's near the top. He has reached that level where he is able to walk in to the restaurant and they know his name and what he'll be ordering without even asking him. In my limited experiences, I'd agree with him.

The key to great sushi is the freshness of the fish. Not only can old fish make you very ill, it just doesn't taste very good. For something that typically isn't cheap, no one wants to have a meal that doesn't taste good and has a chance of making them sick. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with anything being less than fresh from Wasabi's.

I normally go for lunch (usually joining my dad and his group of friends) and now order the same thing every time. The Wasabi Special features a Spicy Tuna Roll, Salmon Maki, California Roll, and four pieces of nigiri from the chef. Usually, the four pieces are some variety of eel, snapper, tuna, and salmon. The special also comes with your choice of a soup or salad, and I always opt for the salad. In terms of the fish that is served, I don't think I could pick a favorite. The rolls and selections of nigiri are both excellent, and the portions are generous without being overwhelming. The presentation is simple but elegant, and there aren't any bizarre sauces or other random ingredients smeared around the plate. As mentioned earlier, everything tastes very fresh and the chef allows the flavors of the fish to shine. And at around $9, I think it's the best value for sushi in the entire city.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I love sushi and I've eaten at many different sushi places around Roanoke as well as in NYC, DC, Charlotte etc. In my opinion the rolls are too big and make it difficult to chew, not exactly very fresh either. As far as comparison to the other places in Roanoke, I would say this is probably one of the best places but when comparing to other places, it's definitely less than mediocre, With that being said, this is a great place to get your sushi fix in the Roanoke area.